• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pro's and Con's

Here is a cheap ($0) but effective solution for helping airflow through the stack and exhausting hot air from under the hood, taking full advantage of the low pressure spot at the base of the windshield to do so. Remove the cowl to hood rubber seal gasket that is pressed onto the flange at the top of the firewall. This gives you an approximately 48 square inch area exhaust opening to help airflow through the stack and out the engine compartment, assisted by the low pressure area helping draw the air through, as well as the ram air effect through the stack and across the engine of driving at speed. After doing that, I noticed on my K2500 Burb the temp gauge rarely even reached the 200° mark on 100°+ days with the A/C on while motoring down the Interstate at 80mph or climbing the steep grades of the Sandhills, either. This with a basically stock '98 with only a washable air filter and and 4" side-dump straight exhaust.

Removing the gasket rubber might help, but I wonder what that would do to the cab temps in the summer. might need some type of clear ceramic tint on the windshield. I have noticed with the onset of 100 degree days this week, I'm having a heck of a time trying to cool the cab down.

On window tint for blocking heat- the companies will go with whatever name is popular at the time- ceramic, titanium, extreme…
Go test it before paying to install. Ya need a halogen work lamp, plug it in outside the window and feel the inside of it. The good stuff will stop that heat and the cheap stuff will burn your hand. And yes they make it so clear you can block 60% of the heat and can not tell there is anything on the glass. Then darker you go the more it stops.
Some of the better tint shops around vegas have displays with this method you can test.

For you snowbound people buying used, non rusted trucks and sometimes wonder why your truck is cold after sitting in the sun all day, check that window film!

Ya think yours is hard to cool.....View attachment 81942
Nice! I bet that is very hard to cool. don't know how the climate is in your area. heat index supposedly hit 115 today. I took my temp gun out after I got home and checked various places in the shade.. 105 to 107. there is a reason they say Texas spring is hell's front porch!!

I think this is gonna be one HOT summer.

Removing the gasket rubber might help, but I wonder what that would do to the cab temps in the summer. might need some type of clear ceramic tint on the windshield. I have noticed with the onset of 100 degree days this week, I'm having a heck of a time trying to cool the cab down.
No real difference I could feel inside the Burb. Not really different that the sun and outside air temp driving on a hot summer's day with it in place. It's NOT like there's a 300° blast furnace blowing up the windshield making the wiper blades melt and the base of the windshield glow red! It just uses the natural low pressure zone at the base of the windshield to help air flow through/out of the engine compartment - and that exhausted air immediately mixes with the ambient air, drastically lowering its temperature anyway. Besides, it is illegal in every State to put any kind of film or tinting on the inside of the windshield. Side/rear windows are subject to darkness/transmissibility laws/regulations.

As for your cab temps, what about thermal barrier/insulation between your headliner and roof, door panels, firewall (engine heat soak) and under floor liner. Just the roof alone can reach in excess of 130° sitting in the sun on a sunny, hot summer's day.

when I left from work this evening I glanced at the temp probe in the center dash vent today. it was sitting at 130. good thing my seats are cloth or my arse would have been on fire!!

Back