• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Proper way to check balance rates

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Just put two new Bosch injectors in a 2005 Duramax and they both have an actual rate -2.00 to -2.40 give or take what could be the issue?
-2--2.4 isn't bad, but balance rates by themself are just numbers. You need to also know the actual main fuel rate. If you put just 2 injectors in, then they're not going to be balanced to the other 6, and I would expect to see some differences in them.

DieselAmateur

Diesel or Bust
Reaction score
@THEFERMANATOR , What is the acceptable range for balance rates (and at what fuel rate?) in a 6.5? I'm pretty sure my GMTD ScanTech software can read balance rates on my OBD-1. I'll be doing a DB2 conversion soon but would love to know what the status of my injectors is before unplugging the ECM

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
@THEFERMANATOR , What is the acceptable range for balance rates (and at what fuel rate?) in a 6.5? I'm pretty sure my GMTD ScanTech software can read balance rates on my OBD-1. I'll be doing a DB2 conversion soon but would love to know what the status of my injectors is before unplugging the ECM
On a 6.5l you're main concern is the fuel rate. It's not like the duramax with common rail injection. Balance rates on a 6.5l are more so an indication of engine health.

2010lmm

Reaction score
My fuel rate in park would vary from 5mm3 to 7 mm3 and 0, 8 and 9 in drive with foot on the brake and all injectors were plus or minus one how would I figure those

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
My fuel rate in park would vary from 5mm3 to 7 mm3 and 0, 8 and 9 in drive with foot on the brake and all injectors were plus or minus one how would I figure those
Sounds like they're fine, but if your fuel rate is 5 when it should be 8, then you add 3 to your balance rates. The idle fuel rate doesn't normally become an issue until it drops down to around 2-3mm3 of fuel and you get balance rates that are corrected thst drop below 1. Then the ECM starts freaking out.