• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project time again

HighSierra86

Reaction score
So now that winter is back around, Ive had some time to work on my truck. We get so busy thoughout the year I dont have the time for anything but routine maintinence or emergency fixes.

As always, Ive got a long list of things I want to do, but time will tell how much I can actually finish.

I started by finally adding a high idle switch for those cold mornings (that never seemed to come to CT this year). Go figure. I opted to only use the one 1070rpm idle speed, as I feel anything over that is just a waste of fuel.

IMG_0564.jpg IMG_0565.jpg

The switch I used came from some school bus company I found online. I ended up painting the center rocker gray so to better match the other factory switches.

-Nick

My next project has been to ditch the stack of helper springs and install a set of air bags from airlift. The helper springs function well, but they ride very rough and make a ton of noise. The leafs clap together and hit the upper stops while driving on any road surface with bumps.

Two years back, I had one of the stoppers for the helpers break right off the frame. I took it to a local spring shop and they said it was due to the fact that the truck was always riding on the helpers. I had them install an add-a-leaf that was supposed to solve all the above problems. Needless to say it didnt. It did take some weight off the helpers however, but didnt improve the ride or noise.

Ive spoken with alot of people and have decided to go with the air bags. This truck is always carying alot of weight to begin with, not to mention the added tounge weight when towing. I bough a set of the airlift 5000 bags and started pulling the helpers..

IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0726.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

First probelm I have run into already, is that the airbags are going to be too short. The rear axle obviously has to be able to travel freely in both directions. The compressive ability of the bags is not an issue, but the maximum amount they will stretch out is.

The rear axle can only drop to a centain point without putting too much pull on the bags. It is reccomended to put limiter straps on the axle if it is thought to drop too low. Normally the shocks would take this roll, but there is no way they hold the axle close enough to the frame when fully extended.

Now to make matters worse, with the add-a-leaf, the rear axle is 1 1/2" further away from the frame than it normally would be. Which results in the airbags needing to be that much taller as well. Now that is obviously my issue that I didnt consider when buying them. However, even withough the extra leaf, i feel these bags would still be to short for the amount of factory allowed axle travel. According to the instructions, the bags will compress to around 2.5" and extend to 9.1" leaving a little under 7" for axle travel. Seems to be a bit low to me when you figure how much the axle can articulate over rough terrain.

Im going to call the company on monday to see if taller bags are available or if they have any bright ideas. I thought of making a spacer to place on the axle under the bags, but Im thinking its going to have to be at least a 2" plate, so Im really not liking that idea....I might just be throwing the helpers back in after all.

IMG_0725.jpg

Well adding to the list...Im gonna be installing some new rear shocks as the ones that are in there are toast. Ive got the fuel tank dropped to fix some leaking fill hoses as well as replacing the sending unit. And at this point, I might just replace all my fuel lines with some muti-fuel hose from napa. The factory lines are in good shape, but ive been wanting to add my racor and walbro units from my 95'. Guess that will depend on time...

-Nick

The kit you have is an add on kit. Have you called KELDERMAN yet? They do offer full air ride set-ups. Theres also the FIRESTONE R4TECH air over leaf system, but I can only find it listed for FORD's.

The kit you have is an add on kit. Have you called KELDERMAN yet? They do offer full air ride set-ups. Theres also the FIRESTONE R4TECH air over leaf system, but I can only find it listed for FORD's.

Those kenlderman's are some serious kits. There website and info kinda sucks. Hard to find what the settup for the older trucks looks like. And judging by the descriptions, the kits arent designed for added weight capacity, which is what im going for. Like I said, if I have to ill just leave the helpers in and return the bags. I dont want to sacrifice weight capacity for the ride quality. I was hoping these bags were going to replace the helpers for the added weight, but improve the ride quality at the same time.

-Nick

I called the company this morning and spoke with tech support. They want all the measurements between the axle and frame taken with full weight on the axle. Meaning, the distance between the two should be alot less than I had measured. I was taking a reading with the axle dropped partially, but still supported. They did still reccomend to place a spacer between the bottom bracket and the airbag itself which makes sence.

They also stated that the system carries a 60day ride warrant. So I can install them and use them for 60 days but still return them for a full refund if I am not happy with the ride, or if the bags do rip. Kind of gives you piece of mind to give it a try. Im gonna take some more measurements and go from there.

My glow plugs and fuel sending unit are already here after ordering from rock auto on saturday afternoon. Always impressed with the shipping speed.

I also picked up some multi-fuel hose from NAPA after digging up my old walbro/racor settup from my 95.

-Nick

Back