• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Frankensquare

I was dealing with some stomach bug so I didn’t get out to work on it for the last two nights. Tonight I made good progress on the dump hinges. I first lopped off the back of the frame and cut the hole for the outer “race” with the plasma.

EE252F26-A005-4D56-82DD-05219CA0826C.jpeg

After that I grabbed a couple pieces of DOM I had originally cut for another application and welded them in as the “race”. Then I welded in some pieces of 1/4” plate to cap off the end of the frame and wrap the race for a little extra support.

5223A1DD-DBD6-4032-A8A5-973F6D40F0B5.jpeg

This will give me a pair of dump hinges with a 1.5” diameter pin. Should be plenty strong.

I could have sent you home with some 1-1/2" ID hollow shaft. I'm pretty sure I still have some. Must be about 2-1/2" O.D. I don't remember giving it away, but that doesn't mean anything
I appreciate that, unfortunately when I saw you last March, I was about 8 months from even knowing I was going to be doing this project. 😊 I got this tubing locally when I was working on the bushing for the front upper shackle hanger. When I measured it with a tape measure at the place, it looked to be 2-1/8" OD and 1-1/2" ID, which was perfect. Unfortunately, when I went to use it I found the bushing fit loose.....that's when I got out the calipers and found the ID was actually around 1.550", but that was actually perfect for this application.

I wanted to add some gussets to the front hoist crossmember. I had made some gussets earlier that were too big for a different crossmember, but fit nicely here, so I cut a piece of 2” square and added another complete crossmember just for funsies.

3EDB98E7-3143-4762-A551-00D65F3ECB4B.jpeg160A4137-692D-499C-86F6-D428B27B108C.jpeg
E3EEB144-398F-4A3E-9FFC-7A85FB4564B4.jpeg

Might be good to groove or bore the pins.
I think you said there was plenty of slop in the pins, so that would not be necessary
Yeah, there’s about .050” clearance, so there’s plenty of room for the grease to move around.
Nice snug pins will keep it useable for much longer. The sloppier they are, the more they will peen.
I get that, and was tempted to go that route, but the more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that I’ll be ok with some slop. This truck is going to primarily be a flatbed truck that happens to have dump capabilities. It will do a lot of dumps to start when I move the pile of dirt, but after that dumping will be a pretty few and far between. The clearance gives me some allowance for any misalignment, so that’s helpful. Also, I did buy a pair of prefab dump hinges that I decided to not use, but what I did notice is they too had a similar amount of clearance, so that gave me some more reassurance.

Back