• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Prime oil pump clockwise or counterclockwise?

mitchedo

Reaction score
Which way do I spin the shaft of the priming tool to prime the oil?

Should I be able to turn on the ignition and read the oil pressure on the gauge? I have the lift pump relay out, since my fuel line isn't hooked up yet. ...too hard to reach oil pump priming tool with fuel manager installed.

Where is the oil pressure sender? ...the OPS?

I spun the priming tool counterclockwise. I didn't look at the oil pressure gauge first. Now, when I turn on the key, the pressure gauge is pegged all the way to the right.

The oil level didn't seem to go down on the dipstick any, and it needs to fill the cooler lines and cooler. I was expecting it to go down a quart or so.

It was about 40 degrees last night, now is about 65. Oil is 30 wt break-in oil.

Help!

replying to my own thread. Is that a sign of mental illness?

I loosened the oil filter and had my lovely wife spin the oil pump CCW while I watched the oil filter. No joy. As soon as she spun it clockwise, I got a huge rush of oil out the filter.

So, I spun it about 5 minutes, then had her come out again. This time I spun the pump for about 30 seconds, then had her give it two 10 second bursts of cranking.

Methinks perhaps the oiling system is primed.

I hope clockwise is the right direction.

My oil pressure gauge is still pegged beyond 80. I hope it's a simple thing, like the oil being the consistency of room temperature honey.

Now to put some water in it, hook up the fuel and the FSD, and see if I can start it.

Yep, clockwise is correct.

When priming mine, the drill would spin it fast enough to build more than 60 psi on a mechanical oil pressure gauge w/ room temp 15W-40 dino oil.

I found feeling how much torque it took to spin the pump surprising. I went with the earlier/lower volume oil pump that corresponds with my non-piston oil squirters block. Feeling the torque it took to spin that pump w/ room temp oil made me wonder how much additional power it takes to spin the wider gears of the 97+ pump?

Might not be that significant a difference, but seeing Bill Heath's choice of the earlier, lower volume water pump on their LSR (to avoid the additional parasitic hp loss of the later, higher output water pump) suggests it's worth considering.

You'll probably also need to spin it a bit (w/ the starter) with the glow plugs out to get the inj lines purged of air. I quickly saw oil pressure during that as well.

What did you use to attach the drill to the pump? I'm thinking of cutting the top off a spare drive ,grinding the gear off and welding a stub on to attach the drill.

I modded the oil pump drive w/ speed sensor on top that the truck's with auto trans have.

After removing the black top & window wheel, there was enough (although no excess) shaft sticking up to chuck a drill to & spin it with the engine on the stand.

What did you use to attach the drill to the pump? I'm thinking of cutting the top off a spare drive ,grinding the gear off and welding a stub on to attach the drill.

The machine shop was kind enough to send their priming tool home with me last fall when I picked up my assembled long block. I told him I was really slow, and it'd be spring before he got it back, and he was fine with it. Swell guy.

My stupid gasket set (Fel-Pro) didn't come with an O-ring for the drive; it has a cork gasket :mad2:. I set the priming tool in with the gasket, torqued it down just a bit to seal it up, and spun it with my new Harbor Freight right-angle 1/2" drill at 350-ish rpm (low speed). The high setting seemed to cavitate the cold oil; it started out being kinda tough to spin, then got really easy.

When I removed the priming tool, it had oil all up in it. I read here or at the Place that you need to seal the hole to prime the engine, so just sticking a rod down there won't do a thorough job.

I started it up last night about 6:00. :smile5: Only ran it 10-15 seconds -- twice, 20 minutes apart since there's no water in it (because there are two holes in each head that go into the water jacket and the intake is just sitting on the gasket so I don't suck in any rags :thumbsup:). Now I have to wait for good weather to check for leaks under the intake and bolt it down and button things up before starting it again.

Back