• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PRESSURE RATIO & MAP/BOOST SENSOR OBD-2?

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
While looking at BOOST sensors a question came to me, it appears when using a 2 BAR sensor and running a higher pressure ratio than 2 BAR it seems there would be a de-fueling issue, or am I thinking too far into it?

No, the ECM uses the boost sensor to control boost and make sure it doesn't overboost. If in an overboost it will defuel, but if it thinks boost is in a normal range it will still fuel normally. The 6.5L ECM is pretty dumb by all accounts.

No, the ECM uses the boost sensor to control boost and make sure it doesn't overboost. If in an overboost it will defuel, but if it thinks boost is in a normal range it will still fuel normally. The 6.5L ECM is pretty dumb by all accounts.

FERM, so the difference in voltage @ any given boost between the 2 bar and 3 bar is a moot issue, or?

What brought this topic up is I have my mechanical boost controller with very little adjustment and I get just over 2.5 BAR when I stand on it and it runs good and wonder if it would run better w/3 BAR boost sensor.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it decreases fuel delivery, but my truck did feel less peppy than it did before. Iirc, it'll tell the ecm to push more fuel because it's reading less boost than the motor is actually receiving. Not too sure though
FERM'S reply points out how dumb the OBD-2 6.5td computer is so it maybe a moot issue.

If your not defieling, then why mess with it. Once tuned, theres no reason to mess with it. The switch to a 3 bar map was to prevent defueling or coding when running higher boost on tunes not set up for it.

Back