• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pressure in the cooling system

During your coolant consumption are you also keeping an eye on oil level ???

Yes, oil level does not seem to be climbing... using a little bit with every tank, maybe half a pint or so.

BTW what coolant you running green or DEX, if green did you do good flush before swapping DEX & green aren't nice to each other

Green, and when I bought it it had green.

Green coolant when U got it and looks like you have have virtually rebuilt the external cooling system with leaks rad & such, I suspect PO went green & did not flush out fully all the DEX and now a minor coolant leak @ head.

Tabs can work for a while but you know mechanical repair is only permanent fix for it, start sourcing parts IMO.

Another possibility search for a product made by RX Auto Thermagasket couple of folks have used it worked for a while for them

Green coolant when U got it and looks like you have have virtually rebuilt the external cooling system with leaks rad & such, I suspect PO went green & did not flush out fully all the DEX and now a minor coolant leak @ head.

Tabs can work for a while but you know mechanical repair is only permanent fix for it, start sourcing parts IMO.

Another possibility search for a product made by RX Auto Thermagasket couple of folks have used it worked for a while for them

When I got my truck it had some pinkish green antifreeze.

Found the leak, I hope its the last one. I pulled into a parking lot and saw a bunch of green pouring out.

One of the heater hoses that I replaced last year was touching the bottom of the turbo. It would only leak when the engine was hot and NOT running -- my theory is, with the fluid not circulating, a hot spot resulted in the coolant actually boiling locally. When the fluid circulated, it was enough movement for it not to boil in that one spot, so it wasn't leaking (or at least wasn't leaking as much).

Hose replaced and rerouted on top of the intake, away from the exhaust; it is still all pretty crowded back there in there, I think maybe I will even wrap it with some heat shielding tape...

Pressure in the system is normal, if there is coolant blowing out the overflow its got issues that will not heal with any tabs or ???

Found the leak, I hope its the last one. I pulled into a parking lot and saw a bunch of green pouring out.

One of the heater hoses that I replaced last year was touching the bottom of the turbo. It would only leak when the engine was hot and NOT running -- my theory is, with the fluid not circulating, a hot spot resulted in the coolant actually boiling locally. When the fluid circulated, it was enough movement for it not to boil in that one spot, so it wasn't leaking (or at least wasn't leaking as much).

Hose replaced and rerouted on top of the intake, away from the exhaust; it is still all pretty crowded back there in there, I think maybe I will even wrap it with some heat shielding tape...

So this leak or disappearing coolant was the last/only problem you had with the cooling system right?

So this leak or disappearing coolant was the last/only problem you had with the cooling system right?

Havent driven it long enough to definitively say that there are no more leaks. So far so good, but need to go through at least one full tank of diesel to make sure the coolant level is not dropping.... I will post an update.

Did you check your surge tank cap?
my previous "old blue" did never overheat, nor it did build pressure in upper hose, din't drink coolant, and had a new cap... with new hoses, gren coolant, cleaned rad, yada, yada... :D

Oh yeah, new cap installed this weekend, too.

Well, it's been about 3 months. Have not lost any coolant since then (but still have residual pressure in the cooling system after the truck sits overnight). Guess will just keep an eye on it for now.

Back