• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Prefilter- how small is too small?

great white

Reaction score
Installing a 10 micron prefilter in front of the Raptor 100 (95 gph).

To small?

Think the raptor will be able to pull fine through it or should I go to a 30 micron?

10 Micron is fine, I run same, but you want to read up on specs for resistance to flow as it gets contaminated, and when clean, though the raptor probably hold it's own, But with the oomph reported from the raptor, it may have ability to suck a hole in partially clogged filter with too high a filter media restriction.

Back in USN days we had a 40 micron filter bank set up for our gas turbines, guys not wanting to change filters would reset the high DP alarm until it would "clear itself", what we found after several fuel control (jet engines IP) fails @ $120K a pop that the "cleared filter" was actually media coming apart on high DP load and cellulose media would go directly into the fuel control.

With the raptor I'd look at a 60 gph or better flow rating, possibly call raptor folks and see how much DP it can develop and what recommendations they may offer for a pre-filter setup.

As stated look at the flow rating. Is it a spin on, 10 micron that is like 3" tall, probably not good, but one that is 6" tall might be ok, or even taller to increase the flow rating.

I'm trying to keep it "tucked up" under the frame rail for off road and winter plowing purposes.

I'm probably going to end up mounting it in front on the RR wheel well under the bed and outside the the frame rail...

Back