• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Precision u joint blew after 2 weeks

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I noticed the u joint in my drive shaft at the t case was a bit sloppy. I went down to napa to get it replaced, I pulled it right out in the parking lot and they popped in a new precision u joint. I put the shaft back in and the truck was driving smooth as silk. This is my secondary vehicle so it gets used very little. Maybe about 200 miles at most on the new u joint.

Was driving home tonight with some shelves that I picked up. Most of the ride home I noticed a vibration and didn't even think it could be a u joint but it felt like it. About a mile or so from home i heard a pop and the vibration became extreme and I pulled over very quickly. I looked around but didn't see anything. Limped it home and got in the drive way, went to back up and the u joint just popped apart and the drive shaft was disconnected from the yolk.

I just threw out the recipet a few days ago, typical. I'm gonna call that same napa in the morning and let them know what happend. I'm courious to hear what they will say but I expect them to make it right by replacing the u joint free of charge.

Sorry for the extended rant, just looking to hear thoughts and oppions about this situation. Thanks

It is either a faulty U-joint, or they installed it improperly, ie: a needle was out of place when the cup was pressed in the yoke.

Should be under warranty.

If it was a greaseable U-joint, was it greased before you drove it. I've put in some joints here lately that were greaseable, and they were dry out of the box. Took almost 15 pumps to fill one of them up.

The u joint moved nice and smooth between the yoke and the shaft, I had no reason to think a needle bearing got dislodged, but it's possible.

It was pre greased and is greasable via the fitting on the end cap. While they installed it I asked if it needs to be greased and they said no, it's already greased. So I left it and just greased the u joint at the rear and that one is still good as new.

I wonder if one or more of the locking clips weren't seated in the cup's groove cause of a needle bearing falling inside,if that was the case then the cups get pushed outwards which is pretty much the only way a joint will come apart so soon after even if it wasn't greased up.

Yeah, I am thinking a clip came out and a cap moved outward and once there was play it started vibrating. I had one do that on me. I had to buy a new U joint. Now had a few extra clips. At the time I worked at a machine shop so I had a guy grind down a few of the clips by 0.002, 0.003, and 0.004 ". I took a dremel and cleaned the groove in the driveshaft and made extra sure the clips were seated fully. The new Ujoint lasted the rest of the trucks life with me.

I called napa this morning, told them about what happend. They said bring the driveshaft and they will swap in a new u joint free of charge.

I'm just gonna have to closely inspect it before I put the shaft back in

I just took out the drive shaft, looks ok. One end cap is still in the drive shaft and the rest of the u joint is in the yoke. What I think happend is the c clip came out and allowed the end cap to vibrate out.

I just took out the drive shaft, looks ok. One end cap is still in the drive shaft and the rest of the u joint is in the yoke. What I think happend is the c clip came out and allowed the end cap to vibrate out.
just what i thought.clip wasn't seated properly.
It could've caused a slightly bent yoke ear on the one side were the cup is still in the yoke, time will tell but if the u-joint fails within a year you'll know why.

Got back home a short while ago from napa, luckily the owner was there and he made sure the new u joint was properly installed. I checked it good myself and it looks good.

Will install the shaft back in the truck tomorrow.

Back