• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pre-OEM Fuel Filter

03demax

Reaction score
I installed the Fuel filter mount from napa and the 2 micron filter this weekend. I was wandering if anyone else did it and how long they are running the filters. Also what would be a good, quiet, inexpensive lift pump to add to this?

Not sure on a pre filter but I don't run the stock any more than 10,000 miles.
The Air Dog is one lift pump I have read does well and is cost effective. I will probably go that route if and when I decide to get a lift pump.

IIRC most people like to run 'em about 10k miles. The really careful people go 5k, but if it were me I'd run my first one 10k, cut it open, look at the filter media, and see how it was doing. Make a decision based on what I saw.

We go based on Hours, like on a tractor, every 750 hours is when the light goes on, is when we change it.

We go based on Hours, like on a tractor, every 750 hours is when the light goes on, is when we change it.

:eek: I have 58000 miles and 1819 hours on my 06. I have changed the fuel filter at least 8-10 times. Rule of thumb is 10k. I might over-do-it a little but diesel is some dirty shit.
The DIC is averaged by miles not hours (I think) like the oil. By your calculations I would only be on my 3rd filter.

What about the lift pumps. I have heard the Air dog is quiet, good and inexpensive.

my filter gets changed before embarking on a trip. and before plowing season. i only do the gm one once a year. and at that it doesn't need it after cutting it open and seeing. the napa one is fairly inexpensive so i just do it.

The stock fuel filter is good for 10K to 15K, depending on how clean the fuel is in you local. If you put a prefilter on like the Cat 2 micron, the stock filter will last a lot longer. I took mine off and opened it after 10K and it was less than 1/4 used.

As for lift pumps, unless you are going to get into some heavy mods, there is no reason to use one - even with a pre-filter like the Cat.

Back