• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pre installation mods for hx40wII

93detroit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I'm new to TTS but I've been over at TDP for a while. I added some new questions to an older post of mine over there but didn't get any bites. I'm thinking the people who can help me probably didn't see it, or they know that I'm beyond help! Here goes: I just bought a hx40wII and everything that a DP member said about them is true. The wastegate port is about 9/16". Can/should I open this up to 3/4" to help control boost/boost creep? I believe I read that a real hx35 has a .775" port. It came with a 12 blade turbine- should I let this alone or find a 10 blade before I even put it in the truck? I am building a '93 k2500 (4.10 gears) for towing heavy and have already installed an intercooler. Not looking for Earth rotating power (it is a 6.5!), just need to keep egt and water temps down on the local mountains.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Oh, and welcome to TTS. Everybody is here to help and the only requirement is to check any attitudes at the door. There are people on here with TONS of 6.5 experience, some of it in boldly doing with the 6.2/6.5 platform things that have never been attempted before and probably won't again. For example, drag racing 6.5's on experimental fuels. Radically modified mechanical injection pumps. Built motors putting out dyno verified 400hp/700tq at the crank. You've come to the right place.

Welcome. Good turbo for the 6.5. I say run it what it has, if you need to fight egt, innercooler wether air or water, Maybe even wmi if you dont mind refills.

Fuel is my concearn more than 10 vs 12 blade. What pump, how old, anything done to it?
What injectors- miles on them, what pop pressure, what nozzles?

When you get a chance, fill out the truck info into your signature so it is there on all posts.

Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to trim the twin scroll divider down a bit. After reading through an install thread for this turbo, my thoughts about the inducer not being any bigger than the GM8 I already have were confirmed, definitely not in the 57mm range that is advertised! That's ok for now, I can upgrade that later.

What the members meant to say was "ECT" as anything over 210 is asking for trouble. Now EGT's on a non-coated piston aka 6.2 is good till 1550 degrees or more as long as ECT is in check. I had a witness who was ghost white thinking we were going to push it home with EGT that high. I didn't have the fuel to push it any higher sustained towing a grade and the gauge would have pegged at 1600 anyway. 6.5 Coated pistons should take more... well, IMO all EGT is telling you is where the turbine in the turbo melts down. Turbo blankets can't take this high EGT. Note: Advance the timing lowers EGT, lags the turbo, but, keeps more heat in the engine so YMMV. Save yourself the heartburn over EGT on this engine and worry about ECT instead. Tune for a reasonable EGT, but, it's not the end of the world if it's high.

Other engines rules do not apply to a 6.2/6.5... EGT above and lug it RPM I will explain below:

You may want to tune the trans chip to down shift sooner. Clearly the thing to be aware of is a larger turbo shifts the usable RPM band. Factory asthma attack turbo is starter - 2200 RPM. The HX40II is usable from ~2000 RPM till just under redline - again anything under ~2000 RPM is a light touch as the HX40II turbo simply won't light off down there like the small factory turbo will. In trade you get power in the upper RPM band so don't be afraid to rev it up. Yeah stop lugging it and you will really enjoy more power and better MPG. A Yank higher stall converter solved the low RPM lag for me on a larger turbo.

You will find the ECT battle to stay under 210 is easier as the HX40II lets more heat out than the factory turbo. I found the cooling fan locked up less with the HX40II and ATT turbo's.

A turbo blanket and wrapping the manifolds and crossover will also keep underhood heat down. I also wrap the downpipe past the passenger floor pan so the exhaust heat won't burn the paint again on the said floorpan...

Oh, I've had my fill of the stock turbo choking out the motor right about where the torque converter tightens up! My first 6.5 (r.i.p.) had 3.42 gears, 4l80e, and a GM-8. It was not fun trying to juggle egt, coolant temps, and forward momentum when towing up 7-8% grades with 13,000lbs behind me. That truck had a h.o. waterpump, dmax fan, and a tuned (by me) fan clutch. It was just too much for what I had. This time all of the underhood insulation is gone, a separate trans cooler is in front of the a/c condenser (not plumbed into the radiator), a balanced flow water pump, and a new radiator with 2-.75" tubes. With the addition of the bigger turbo and intercooler, I'm hoping to be able to hold my foot in the throttle ALL the way up the local mountains!

I'll second that and add the lack of info years ago plus the general dislike/misunderstanding of the big turbo trade off at DP is why I write the above... I also put this together: http://www.maxxtorque.com/2012/07/the-65l-diesel-factory-equipped-asthma.html

I ran both turbo's on the 1995 and was the 2nd person to add a BD Spool valve to a 6.x.

I did not have luck removing the radiator intercooler for the transmission as the temps would go over 220. (Large oil to air trans cooler wasn't enough. It helps as just the radiator isn't acceptable.) Esp in town at 35 MPH where the TCC doesn't lock up.

Oh, I've had my fill of the stock turbo choking out the motor right about where the torque converter tightens up! My first 6.5 (r.i.p.) had 3.42 gears, 4l80e, and a GM-8. It was not fun trying to juggle egt, coolant temps, and forward momentum when towing up 7-8% grades with 13,000lbs behind me. That truck had a h.o. waterpump, dmax fan, and a tuned (by me) fan clutch. It was just too much for what I had. This time all of the underhood insulation is gone, a separate trans cooler is in front of the a/c condenser (not plumbed into the radiator), a balanced flow water pump, and a new radiator with 2-.75" tubes. With the addition of the bigger turbo and intercooler, I'm hoping to be able to hold my foot in the throttle ALL the way up the local mountains!
Then if the GM-8 is turned up for more boost it super heats the air charge........

Back