• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Pump Reservoir

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've discovered a leak on a hard line coming out the back of the power steering pump reservoir, the one that is part of the whole assembly, i.e. not threaded in.

My question is- is it possible to buy just a new reservoir? In all my searches, you can either buy just the pump (without reservoir), or an entire pump and reservoir assembly but I have yet to find anywhere that stocks just the reservoir. As far as I can tell the existing pump works just fine.

If I do have to replace the entire unit, any particular brand/ part # recommended over others?

Thanks!

New: as in not a burned up and then repaired cheap parts store rebuild. Otherwise hit a junkyard for one that hasn't ever failed. Repaired after burnup pumps can fail and dust the entire system. Then you get to replace the steering box, hydrobooster, lines and flush the cooler. Ask me how many parts stork junkers I went through and how many times I replaced hydroboosters/boxes: 5 on one rig alone.

Guess I'll be going the route of a new pump. Thinking of spraying the reservoir with a coat of engine enamel or some other oil based paint. The ps cooler just went a few weeks back so I guess the whole system is finally succumbing to rust. Pretty good lifespan of nearly 23 years if the pump was original.

Thanks for the feedback.

Funny you should mention brakes, I just replaced the right front caliper as it was seized. When the new one did the same thing, I discovered that the brake hose (from caliper to frame) was collapsed and not letting pressure release. Truck is a lot happier not driving around with one front brake on all the time!

This also led me to discover that there is no replacement part available for the brake line that goes from the hydroboost/ master cylinder to the front passenger side. One has to get a custom line made in order to replace this part. It seems that on old trucks like mine there is always something that needs to be replaced, and I keep telling myself it's still cheaper than working on a dmax!

Did you try SSBC for the brake lines? They have lines for just about anything made. They even had lines for my ex-gf's 68 Cutlass Convertible!

I went to a local shop and had a replacement line made with the necessary flared ends. It is some copper material, apparently will never rust. 3/16" diameter if I recall correctly. Was an easy fix.

Back