• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering pump R&R

Here are some of my Chevelle. I got the Fittings from Areroquip. On the return line of the HB unit I used a compression fitting.

Very nice! Exactly the hose/fitting set-up I'm hoping for... Thanks for the pic's.

Because the pump is slowly getting weaker and noisier, I want to get this done soon. So I went and ordered a pump from the supplier I usually deal with. The pump came in the next day, I forked out the $250.00 and took it back to the shop at work. It may be the right pump but it's definitely not the right reservoir. This one has the small round can type with no capacity and no fill cap. The dealer showed me the part numbers and what all and insisted it was the right one. So maybe it's the right box but no way on the unit.
Hopefully I'll get this sorted out tomorrow.

I was thinking, do you think you got a pump for a 92-95 style?

Here are some of my Chevelle. I got the Fittings from Areroquip. On the return line of the HB unit I used a compression fitting.

I was thinking, do you think you got a pump for a 92-95 style?

I don't know. The parts guy came out and looked at the pump in my truck and is going to resolve it. We both think it's the wrong pump in the right box. I'll know in the next couple days. It may be the pump for the 6.5 Van. That apparently is rigged with a remote reservoir. It is likely the right pump but with the wrong reservoir type. It's definitely not what I want.

OK, I've got some info. First it was alittle more than I thought it would be. The stainless steel fittings were the killer.
The absolute minumum I could sell a hose kit with Stainless steel fittings is $299.
What I did to cut cost by $70-80 was to reuse the hard line sections and replace just the rubber flex sections. The special metric to flare fittings would cost $70-80 as you need 4 of them. I think reusing the hard line is better anyway it gives it a professional look. All the lines still clip into there holders and it all just bolts right back up.
I can reduce the price if someone wanted brass fittings instead. I would charge $250 with brass.
The return line I want to use should be here Friday or Monday? So the pictures below still have old return lines. I want to use a black nylon braided hose for that with decorative worm gear clamps like you see on the pump return line and HB return line.
This kit is for trucks with power steering coolers.

Hydro boost/power steering Stainless steel hose kit. The two black rubber hoses will be replaced. (still the old return hoses in picture)
power steering hydro boost hoses 001.jpg
Reuse hard line by using a stainless steel fitting
power steering hydro boost hoses 002.jpg
Reused hard line because tring to reproduce this would be costly
power steering hydro boost hoses 003.jpg
Pardon the greese/oil. The reason I made new hoses and will be R&Ring HB soon.
power steering hydro boost hoses 004.jpg
HB unit. You can see the decoritive clamp here. It will hide the freyed hose ends. I might use a black clamp instead.
power steering hydro boost hoses 005.jpg

I will need a couple days to put another kit together.
Did I forget anything? Anything anyone would like to see added?

More pictures
Again this is still the old return line. This picture is just below HB and below the factory retaining clips/holders. Keeps the hoses very organized.
power steering hydro boost hoses 006.jpg
Clamp at pump end. Fittings from and to pump.
power steering hydro boost hoses 008.jpg

I am about to replace my Power steering pump, My hard lines look good, what I am concerned with is where the hoses meet up with the new outlets on the pump, what do I cut, and what adapters ddo i need?

Right now everythign looks factory with those compression fittings from hard to soft transitions.

Leroy I'd love to buy this kit from you but can't now due to funds. I need to get the truck fixed up and complete overhaul can be done end of year.

Howdy Leroy.
I'm always complaining about my Power steering that I found a bit weak compared to the 97+ trucks.
I was told that the 97+ use high output PS pump, so the the solution would be to swap to this HO PS pump.
I believe you have to reinforce lines and plumbings too to achieve such a swap.

Your next kit ?

Check out autozone's website, there is a replacement H/O power steering pump. More pressure, higher flo it says. Shiny too, no resevoir.

where can you buy a cooler for the powersteering for a 93 chevy with a 6.5 turbo diesel. mine is leaking

IT was 150 or so... do you h ave EVO? check for sensor plug down center off the pump. If so, i don't recommend pump only change. Only complete harness w/resevoir. I tried 3 times, and leaked at the EVO sensor... new one was welded to sensor to pressure line, so don't think its supposed to be user replaceable.... Had it in and out 4 times due to this.

Back