• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering pump R&R

Fysh Guide

Fysh Guide
Reaction score
I can't seem to find enough info anywhere so I thought I'd see if anyone here could answer this.
My power steering pump is getting leaky and squeaky so I want to R&R it and I want to replace it with a high output unit, around 1500 psi. As some of the lines in the P/S, hydroboost and gear box circuit are weepy and worn, I want to replace them with high pressure AN6 braided lines and adapter fittings between each component. The problem is I can't find or eyeball the sizes of the ports on some components without removal.
I believe the Pump is three M16x1.5 ports and the P/S gear box is two M16x1.5 ports. The hydroboost isn't so simple. All three lines appear to be different sizes. Does anyone know what sizes these are? I want to have all the adapters and lines ready before I start. I'm also going R&R the rag joint between the gearbox and steering shaft at the same time....
Thanks
Dan

So here's an update. Upon closer examination and further surfing, I've come up with the following:
Pump: 1 high pressure output port (16mm x 1.5) for hose to the Hydroboost unit
2 low pressure inlet ports for simple slip-on return hose and clamp, 1 returns from Hydroboost, 1 from the Steering Gear (soon to be via a cooler)
Hydroboost Unit:1 high pressure inlet port (18mm x 1.5) for hose coming from P/S pump
1 high pressure outlet port (16mm x 1.5)for hose going to Steering Gear
1 still unsized low pressure port (appears to be a fitting for a slip-on hose) for hose to P/S pump
Steering Gear: 1 high pressure inlet port (16mm x 1.5) for hose coming from Hydroboost
1 low pressure outlet port (16mm x 1.5) for hose leading to cooler and/or P/S pump

Updates to follow....

Another update! After observing that the low pressure return line between the Steering gear and the P/S pump was strategically bent and directed into the depths below and behind the radiator, down into the frame area, I crawled under the truck with a flashlight thinking I was going to find a cooler. Why else would an engineer devise such a complex series of bends, twists and deviations of direction? Much to my surprise (or maybe not) I found that the steel tubing was directed into the frame rail for about 6" or so and then bent 180o and comes back out to merrily twist and turn its way to the return port on the pump. No cooler, not even any airflow over the bare tubing.
Must be the same design genius who mounted the PMD on the IP and that in the V of the block.
All Automotive Engineers should be Mechanics as part of an internship.

You're a brave man, trying to unravel all that. Keep us posted - pics would be nice. I've never had one apart, so I'm really interested in learning from your (hopefully) successful and uneventful adventure.

Another update! After observing that the low pressure return line between the Steering gear and the P/S pump was strategically bent and directed into the depths below and behind the radiator, down into the frame area, I crawled under the truck with a flashlight thinking I was going to find a cooler. Why else would an engineer devise such a complex series of bends, twists and deviations of direction? Much to my surprise (or maybe not) I found that the steel tubing was directed into the frame rail for about 6" or so and then bent 180o and comes back out to merrily twist and turn its way to the return port on the pump. No cooler, not even any airflow over the bare tubing.
Must be the same design genius who mounted the PMD on the IP and that in the V of the block.
All Automotive Engineers should be Mechanics as part of an internship.

Early (read 88 or so) GMT400 trucks used a ps cooler. I think OEM figured the steel line provided enough cooling.

My 94 Blazer has a power steering cooler on the left side of the rad. It's simply a tube that runs up and back down with some fins on it.

Lmc truck's catalog shows both types of coolers. All of my trucks have the fin type.

Here are some of my Chevelle. I got the Fittings from Areroquip. On the return line of the HB unit I used a compression fitting.
630.jpg

836.jpg

846.jpg

830.jpg

Here are some of my Chevelle. I got the Fittings from Areroquip. On the return line of the HB unit I used a compression fitting.

Very nice! Exactly the hose/fitting set-up I'm hoping for... Thanks for the pic's.

Because the pump is slowly getting weaker and noisier, I want to get this done soon. So I went and ordered a pump from the supplier I usually deal with. The pump came in the next day, I forked out the $250.00 and took it back to the shop at work. It may be the right pump but it's definitely not the right reservoir. This one has the small round can type with no capacity and no fill cap. The dealer showed me the part numbers and what all and insisted it was the right one. So maybe it's the right box but no way on the unit.
Hopefully I'll get this sorted out tomorrow.:mad2:

Very nice! Exactly the hose/fitting set-up I'm hoping for... Thanks for the pic's.

Because the pump is slowly getting weaker and noisier, I want to get this done soon. So I went and ordered a pump from the supplier I usually deal with. The pump came in the next day, I forked out the $250.00 and took it back to the shop at work. It may be the right pump but it's definitely not the right reservoir. This one has the small round can type with no capacity and no fill cap. The dealer showed me the part numbers and what all and insisted it was the right one. So maybe it's the right box but no way on the unit.
Hopefully I'll get this sorted out tomorrow.:mad2:

I've got a brand spankin new one in the GM box. I can get the part # off it if you need it. I can also get the hoses made up for you, but would need you to tell me exactly what fittings, lengths...ect you need. Once they make it you bought it. No returns. I have a friend that works in a industrial hose shop. Look on Summit or Jegs for the pump to JIC flare fittings.

Howdy Leroy.
I'm always complaining about my Power steering that I found a bit weak compared to the 97+ trucks.
I was told that the 97+ use high output PS pump, so the the solution would be to swap to this HO PS pump.
I believe you have to reinforce lines and plumbings too to achieve such a swap.

Your next kit ?

Howdy Leroy.
I'm always complaining about my Power steering that I found a bit weak compared to the 97+ trucks.
I was told that the 97+ use high output PS pump, so the the solution would be to swap to this HO PS pump.
I believe you have to reinforce lines and plumbings too to achieve such a swap.

Your next kit ?

Funny you should ask. I am going to be R&R'ing my hydro boost unit on my truck It's leaking and making a mess all down the driver underside and I figure I might as well make the lines out of stainless steel braided hose. If anyone has an interest I could make up multiple sets. I would have to get a price and get back when I have it. Let me know.

Back