• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Post your Towing Pictures here!

rsz_100_0460.jpg

rsz_100_0461.jpg

This was Saturday, 6/18/11. Donner Summit, 20K lbs combination. running right up to 210, with a brief stint to no more than 215 degrees.
bone stock, running the hottest OEM program for anything with a pickup cab AFAIK (Chassis cabs got 430lb/ft with manual or auto, compared to pickups which got 10 or 20 less lb/ft with the manual, all according to my 99 commercial brochure) backed up with the NV4500 and all in a 2wd truck to ensure what little power there is makes it to the pavement.

havent done anything to the truck since buying it other than changing all the filters when I first started using it, and doing regular oil and grease jobs since then. I did make sure to verify good LP operation, but other than that, no clue what I was running for boost, egts, etc during the pull. We were on a schedule, so we couldnt mosey up the hill, se we ended up in 3rd taching as high as 3 grand, pulling 2750 most of the way up. my theory was egts spike higher when lugging, rather than screaming, so we let er rev, and try and move plenty of air, and it must have worked, as she still runs the same, and not any hint of damage. it didnt de-fuel either.

we bought some trucks in CA, so we trailered er out of the state, and I drove it from ID to KS empty (8500lbs, light amounts of crap in back, but otherwise a fat truck with a big ol bed) and I set the cruise at 1900 RPM and she gave me 18 mpg, hand calculated, topped off both times.

In conclusion, I think that kind of behaviour deserves some guages and a 4 inch exhaust, maybe a fluidampr as well! :)

View attachment 27707

View attachment 27708

This was Saturday, 6/18/11. Donner Summit, 20K lbs combination. running right up to 210, with a brief stint to no more than 215 degrees.
bone stock, running the hottest OEM program for anything with a pickup cab AFAIK (Chassis cabs got 430lb/ft with manual or auto, compared to pickups which got 10 or 20 less lb/ft with the manual, all according to my 99 commercial brochure) backed up with the NV4500 and all in a 2wd truck to ensure what little power there is makes it to the pavement.

havent done anything to the truck since buying it other than changing all the filters when I first started using it, and doing regular oil and grease jobs since then. I did make sure to verify good LP operation, but other than that, no clue what I was running for boost, egts, etc during the pull. We were on a schedule, so we couldnt mosey up the hill, se we ended up in 3rd taching as high as 3 grand, pulling 2750 most of the way up. my theory was egts spike higher when lugging, rather than screaming, so we let er rev, and try and move plenty of air, and it must have worked, as she still runs the same, and not any hint of damage. it didnt de-fuel either.

we bought some trucks in CA, so we trailered er out of the state, and I drove it from ID to KS empty (8500lbs, light amounts of crap in back, but otherwise a fat truck with a big ol bed) and I set the cruise at 1900 RPM and she gave me 18 mpg, hand calculated, topped off both times.

In conclusion, I think that kind of behaviour deserves some guages and a 4 inch exhaust, maybe a fluidampr as well! :)
That is fact, I see it with my gauge.

I forgot to mention, the only reason for success on my little adventure was the cold temps. At the base of Donner, I estimate high 50s maximum, and at the top, it was around the low 40s, otherwise, if we had made the pull mid-day, I dont think we could have shed enough heat. we were already running the heater to shed some. anyways, thought I would throw that fact in.

That is an impressive load,what do you call a good sized hill?

Not sure the climb but it is flat on both sides lol. Google Gloss Mountains in Oklahoma and that is where I had to drive through, the back roads are pretty steep but I never really tried to keep much speed and climbed most of those hills in 2nd @~30mph.

The last photo in the series looks like the rigs should have been reversed. Looks like the tractor should have been towing the truck on the trailer due to the size differences. :rof:

The tractor easily out weighs my truck but they have nearly the same HP ratings. I just didnt want to drive it on a 300 mile round trip @ 19mph.

I figured out my steering problem, For some reason the bolts on my steering box came loose got it fixed and going again.

For Your Viewing Pleasure

Towed my tractor back with the 92 from the shop today. Usually this task is handled by the 3500 Dodge. Truck towed great, no temps over 210. This combo weights about 10K.
My 92 and GN  1.jpg

Truck is Black and Silver. Its a 92 K2500, 4l80e, 4.10, 254k on the clock. (need to set up my signature yet) Has a upgraded cooling fan mod, and 4" exhaust, otherwise stock.

OK, in the pic I could'int tell if it was a tone of red. Thought it my be a sister truck to my Suburban (red&silver)

I think I've only seen regular cab's for 92. Anyone ever see ext/crew cabs on a 92 6.5?

I actually have the Firestone airbags in the box at the shop to install. I have been too busy to do it myself, and believe it or not I cannot find a shop that will put them on. All the shops I have inquired with say its too long of a job (4-6 hrs) on a truck with a GN hitch installed and are not interested.

I think you may be right on the cab configuration in 92 for the 6.5. I have not seen and extended cab 92 either, just 93's

1755ee92.jpg

1237d529.jpg

^^ Quite possibly the most 'seasoned' 6.5 truck on TTS.

If only the truck could talk.

@dirtwork, nice Black n Silver Regular cab there. Hello from Nashport and welcome to TTS.

Delivering a cattle guard

Attachments

• SA400803.jpg
    SA400803.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • SA400804.jpg
    SA400804.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SA400805.jpg
    SA400805.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
Fair load there Leo! That you in the pic?

How much weight you think you got there? Trailer has to be 7k by itself.
Cattle crossing 3k and forklift 9500 lbs. 20k total.
How far off am I? :hihi"

Yeah, it's me Mike

The trailer is about 7500 lbs (heavy frame). Cattle guard is about 2500 lbs so the two combined are what you said. Forklift? I don't know.

There is also about 750 lbs in signs under the cattle guard.

Back