• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Post up your questions

I was thinking of buying a new fifth wheel off ebay ... the darn thing was located down east and I just didn't have the time to go and get it, so I let it go... grrr. Should have thought to contact you guys and see if somebody was up to hauling it west...

Some days, my brain kicks into gear 'way too slow.

Do most sleep in their trucks or get hotel/motel room? I just couldn't imagine trying to sleep in a pickup.

JiFaire, You are looking at about $1.55+ per mile. The best thing would be for you to have it delivered to Shelby, Montana and you take it across. I have delivered many trailers from the factory to Canada and the PARS paperwork is done and waiting at the border. What part of Alberta?

Deagon Kennels, Majority sleep in their truck, albeit it is not legal under load unless you have a certified sleeper. The fine is about $465 and you can be shut down for 10 hours of off duty. If you don't have a sleeper, never log time in the sleeping berth. You can unhook your trailer, remove your placards and park near the trailer and sleep. Or you can hide among the semis at a busy truck stop. Sometimes it is just easier to get a cheap ($25-50) motel.

What weight plates does everyone run? On my truck I run 24K# Farm plates and I know that is over the GCVW.

My dad's good friend can put on about 100K/year, but usually about 80K, and he sleeps in a Dodge Quad Cab!!! He has to though, up till then, he couldn't find anything that would stand up to his abuse! (U-joints are all on this one, he pulls big goosenecks) His LB7 went through 4x4 components and injectors like crazy, he should've waited, he always seems to get the very first ones of a new product line, first PS, first D-max, etc, he needed to wait for problems to be fixed! Then he might've stayed w/ a D-max.

He gave up on running under 26K, he runs CDL and the whole bit.

... it is not legal under load unless you have a certified sleeper. The fine is about $465 and you can be shut down for 10 hours of off duty. If you don't have a sleeper, never log time in the sleeping berth. You can unhook your trailer, remove your placards and park near the trailer and sleep. Or you can hide among the semis at a busy truck stop. Sometimes it is just easier to get a cheap ($25-50) motel.

That I didnt know.

To clarify about sleeping in the cab....

Your time behind the wheel (on-duty) is limited. Only if you have a sleeper or otherwise remove yourself from the load (unhook or get a room) are you considered off-duty. Sleeping in the cab counts against your on-duty time limit.

Always thought about doing this but never did, Hauling big rock in a tri axle always paid well til I went to work for Gm, Since I have my cdl's I keep my truck personal truck tagged at 10k and trail tagged at 10k to be on the safe side, werd how they tag a trick that is rated 9200 for only 7k.hell with me in it race weight its 7060 already over weight.

I have recently started to think about this to make some $$ so thanks for posting.I will keep reading and post some (many) questions.

how do the guys get away with pulling horse trailers or campers out of elkhart without any insurance on the load, or DOT numbers or stuff like that??

You guys hauling out of Elkhart need to be really careful. Dot has been pulling drivers over a ton lately. I see them every day on my way to work.

Here is a link to a website where any thing you want to know about transporting and hotshotting is found.

I will gladly answer serious questions. It is not easy to set up a company and get the proper operating authority but you can do it. Takes time and money.

You really need to do a lot of research and asking questions before you even take a step to get into the transport and hotshot business...which BTW are not exactly the same thing. Hotshot is just as the name implies...freight that is needed in a hurry. The correct term for hauling freight with a pickup or medium duty truck is less than a load (LTL) freight.

I got out of the business in Apr 07. Many of us have gotten out. To expensive to operate and low rates. Rick and some others have a different situation and are making money at it. They have dedicated customers and that is the only way that most owner operators are making it today.

If you receive pay for hauling a load you are hauling commercial and must have DOT and FMCSA authority to operate.

http://hotshotconnect.myfreeforum.org/

One thing you can do is log 10 hours straight off duty/not driving when sleeping in your truck. That is perfectly legal as that is what I have to do in my truck. A legal sleeper has to be 24x24x72 at a minimum and be seperated from the cargo with direct access from the driver's seat.

Here is a link to a website where any thing you want to know about transporting and hotshotting is found.

I will gladly answer serious questions. It is not easy to set up a company and get the proper operating authority but you can do it. Takes time and money.

You really need to do a lot of research and asking questions before you even take a step to get into the transport and hotshot business...which BTW are not exactly the same thing. Hotshot is just as the name implies...freight that is needed in a hurry. The correct term for hauling freight with a pickup or medium duty truck is less than a load (LTL) freight.

I got out of the business in Apr 07. Many of us have gotten out. To expensive to operate and low rates. Rick and some others have a different situation and are making money at it. They have dedicated customers and that is the only way that most owner operators are making it today.

If you receive pay for hauling a load you are hauling commercial and must have DOT and FMCSA authority to operate.

http://hotshotconnect.myfreeforum.org/

There was some good info over there thanks.

Hey Rick do you know of anyone that's leasing on anyone out by you. I have my Illinois apportionment and IFTA. Been doing this for 5 years. Thanks

It is very profitable if you do it hot and heavy. In our circle, under 21 and no CDL is a killer though.
When I was 19 I drove an International eagle with a 13 speed Eaton road ranger hooked to a 45' refer up and down the east coast hauling produce. I never had my cdl. But that was pretty stupid. I had a car full of puerto ricans pull out in front of me, I think on purpose for an insurance claim. Luckily there was nobody to my left and I swerved over and tromped on it. I wasn't supposed to be in the left lane but what the hell. My cousin (the owner/operator) told me to wake him when we got to Jersey. He looked at his watch when I woke him and said "I told you to wake me when we got to Jersey!" He didn't believe me that we already made it, but I was making such good time in the left lane that I stayed there pushing 90 most of the time. I loved that truck. Very quick shifting smooth transmission. I kinda miss it sometimes.

hey guys i just found this, i think it would be handy, but is it legal???

http://www.laptoplogbook.com/?gclid=CL-U5_7U3JMCFQKfnAodlC7eYg

Electronic log books are legal. You do have to print the daily log out if it is requested by a law enforcement officer.

This is the one I used and really liked it. There are two versions but for me the basic level was all I needed. All the drivers that I knew that had it used the basic. It will keep you honest and won't let you exceed your legal hours.

http://www.driversdailylog.com/

Back