• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poly engine mounts

bk95td

6.5 nut job/addict
Reaction score
I have the engine out of my 95 2500ld and was going to put energy suspension poly engine mounts in. I've had 3 different sets and none fit. Summit racing said This was all that was listed for any v-8 truck from 88=98. Prothane didn't fit either. I compared the oem mounts from a 91, 95,97 8.2 and 6.5 and a 97 454 gasser. All mounts were the same. Has anyone had this same experence? I ended up buying the crappy rubber mounts so i could get the engine in last weekend. I spent 3 weeks getting the wrong parts:wtf:

I used the Summit # ENS-3-1116G set and they fit correctly & work fine. Also put a set in a gasser Chevy pickup that fit & work well.

Others have reported too much additional vibration & going back to replacement OEM rubber mount inserts. Would be good for the 6.5 forum knowledge base to figure out what the issue is that explains these different results? Maybe others using different part #'s? Maybe ES made these inserts with one formulation, then later switched to a more pliable version?

I've used urethane motor mounts & inserts in a number of different vehicle applications & have definitely experienced a couple situations where too much vibration was felt when swapping to urethane mounts. Truly annoying when this causes things (rearview mirror, steering column,etc.) to vibrate excessively at certain resonant freq.

There's gotta be some logical explanation for the varying results different forum posts have reported.

Good to know.
I was myself wondering about these polyurethane mounts.
I was ready to put them on y truck, but my mechanic told me I better go with stock mount to get sure having smooth mounts.
So I did.
That said, the ENS-3-1116G is for camaro and pontiac firebird, isn't it ?

Last edited:
the 3.1116 were the ones that were too loose in the clamshell. 3.3121 were way too big for the clamshell. Prothane was the same as 3.3121. Perhaps my clamshells are stretched out? They didn't appear to be.

Multiple 6.5ers as said before reporting thumbs down on urethane mounts, I went with OEM replacementrs on mine this year based on that recommendation, my factory mounts lasted from 1998 to 2009

Good to know.
I was myself wondering about these polyurethane mounts.
I was ready to put them on y truck, but my mechanic told me I better go with stock mount sio I'll get sure to get smooth mounts.
That said, the ENS-3-1116G is for camaro and pontiac firebird, isn't it ?

The 1116G fits a wide range of GM offerings from the mid 70's up as that style mount is one of the most common across GM's line.

Maybe their quality control/dimension tolerances allow too much variability in the final product? Gotta be some underlying reason why they work for some but not others.

It's simple: gasser (patooie!) stuff for gassers (you know!) - Diesel equipment for Diesels - they do not interchange, even if similar appearance - live by that rule and you can't go wrong - for those that continually choose to ignore the repeated information on Diesel engines posted across these forums, Diesel harmonic distortional vibrations are an order of magnitude greater than in those girly-man engines, so wussy stuff designed in cutie-pie colors for them is not suitable for manly-man Diesel engines - period.............

(with pre-requisite but sincere apologies to MGW, whom is ain't yer typical female............)

Last edited:
It's simple: gasser (patooie!) stuff for gassers (you know!) - Diesel equipment for Diesels - they do not interchange, even if similar appearance - live by that rule and you can't go wrong - for those that continually choose to ignore the repeated information on Diesel engines posted across these forums, Diesel harmonic distortional vibrations are an order of magnitude greater than in those girly-man engines, so wussy stuff designed in cutie-pie colors for them is not suitable for manly-man Diesel engines - period.............

(with pre-requisite but sincere apologies to MGW, who ain't yer typical female............)

GIT-R-DUN!!!!:D

Yep - even the name should be a dead give-away: Polly engine mounts............

Point understood regarding power pulse & resulting tortional twist being significantly greater.

But it still doesn't explain why these inserts work just as expected on my 6.5 truck? I have no issue with agreeing with accepted forum knowledge. In this case, my experience simply doesn't match some other's experience & knowing why could benefit everyone.

My truck exhibits no unacceptable vibration thru the mounts. And they limit torque movement a bit more than the stockers - DMax fan's additional made for a tight fit in the fan shroud. Anybody in my neighborhood is welcome to come check it out.

It's still simple: read the pre-requisite sig to determine installed equipment - oem factory-balanced 21.1:1 Diesel engines meet certain specs within lower\upper tolerance limits - an after-market balanced engine can be set up to exactly meet the specs - adding 18:1 pistons will further reduce the normal Diesel vibrations from idle thruout the rpm range - 'nuther words, do not compare a built and set-up engine with oem stock, 'cause they ain't the same - yours would be even smoother with the original factory mounts, were you to install them for comparison - btw, a very good example of how knowing your subject can prevent misteaks.............

Last edited:
Grew up on a cattle farm, so I know the difference btwn steaks & mistakes.:smile5:

FWIW - there are a number of people that have installed these ES bushings on internally stock 6.5's & are happy with them. And some weren't - believe one of those examples was an 18:1, balanced engine?

While I get your point with the refresher on the 18:1 & balancing rotating & reciprocating components, these aren't concepts I'm unfamiliar with - both in theory & execution. And I didn't put the time & effort into balancing & $'s into a Fluidampr because it sounds cool. Was convinced of the value of viscous harmonic dampeners while working on a number of a neighbor's Cat D8L's w/ the 3408. Cat knows something about longevity.

I didn't choose to list the diesels I've built, rebuilt, & those I've run over the past 25-30 years my signature. Doesn't mean those experiences aren't in my background. Didn't figure that was as relevant in the 6.5 portion of the forum I participate in.

Ok, no prob, then - just having inordinate amounts of fun with the facts.......just the facts, m'am, to quote Sgt Joe Friday

Far as what some people are satisfied with, some brag about 250kmi on original IP, injectors, and timing chainset and having no problems - I've been in traffic adjacent some of those glowing (read: smoking and fuming) examples and fervently wishing my exit had just come up................

And, misteaks are real misteaks, make no mistake about it................:thumbsup:

It is to laff, my friends - anyway, yer oem engine and trans isolators are polyurethane from the factory, just a specific compound relevent to the vibrations inherent in the particular engine\drivetrain setup, and come only in pastel black - while that may clash with yer mauve eye-shadow, at least yer false eyelashes won't vibrate off on the way to the gala soiree...........

It is to laff, my friends - anyway, yer oem engine and trans isolators are polyurethane from the factory, just a specific compound relevent to the vibrations inherent in the particular engine\drivetrain setup, and come only in pastel black - while that may clash with yer mauve eye-shadow, at least yer false eyelashes won't vibrate off on the way to the gala soiree...........
Since when does polyurethane absorb oil and turn to mush? It must be a special type that smells just like rubber when it burns
also. The only polyurethane bushings i've seen on these trucks is the factory replacement sway bar bushings. Nothing else.
What year did this supposed switch to polyuretane take place? My 97 has rubber mounts.
I do understand that there is different durameters[hardness levels] of polyurethane. It has a much larger range than synthetic rubber. Polyurethane is also unaffected by ozone and uv and oil. It is a far superior material than the synthetic rubber. The cost is why the manufactures didn't use it.
You obviously didn't read the original post because your replies didn't address the question.

Back