• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD Recommendations

Kap270

Reaction score
Hey fellas, looking for recommendations on what PMD to buy. I've got a 94 Suburban and a 99 Suburban. The 99 has 190k on it and has the original non-relocated PMD. I'm hesitant to replace it but I know it will go out eventually. The 94 has 290k and has had its PMD unfortunately relocated to the top of the intake and has gone out for a second time. I bought the 72" relocation kit off of Huckstorf and am looking for recommendations for a good PMD that won't break the bank since I'll probably buy a couple. Last time I got a cheapo off amazon and it lasted all of 2k miles.

Also I never uploaded any pictures so I threw one in of the rigs.

Attachments

• Burbs.jpg
    Burbs.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 7
If your on a budget this might work for you. I bought this off the jungle site and the PMD lasted about two years. What I did was get the dorman resistor pack and install the resistor in the female end of the extension harness so I would never need to worry about it again. mounted the heatsink up in the drivers hole in the front pumper fins facing out and the connector pointed up. I still have the chineese PMD and it still works, but recently started getting a code for the IP timing. swapping the PMD fixed that. since it still ran fine I kept it in the glove box for a spare.

What really works is to have two relocation kits, and set them up so that when one fails, just pull over and swap over the connector. you will need to get a dummy connector to leave plugged in to the unused PMD so dirt and muck doesn't get into it.

I think most everyone will recommend Flight Systems PMD. iirc TSP, and Leroy sells them. they both are supporting vendors here in the forum.

Welcome and yes, those are a couple of nice looking Burbs. Currently shopping for one to replace my totaled 99 so, wish me luck.
20170917 Salt Flat Sunrise1.JPG

The main thing is to get a set up with a large heat-sink and get the whole thing out of the engine bay.
Leroy's system is widely available but, he's a site vendor and stands behind his stuff better than you'll probably get from Flea Bay.
You could also just purchase the extension cable and or heat sinks if you've got another reliable source for the PMD's

Previous owners of my truck did the SSD intake 'relocation' thing too. Initially I just bought an extension cable from Kennedy and moved it to the bumper by drilling a couple of holes.
PMD Relocated1.JPG

Worried it might eventually crack / split from vibrations (it did) I later replaced it with this set up from Heath Diesel before he sold the business. Unfortunately, this product has been discontinued by the new owners.
IMG_3164s.jpg
image.jpeg

"Have a back up plan (or spare PMD) in case the first one doesn't work."
I have a spare set up with a black D-Tech and managed to salvage the set up off my poor Burb too.
IMG_9731.jpg

Those are a couple of mighty pretty burbs You got there. One more and You could start a fleet. 😹😹😹
Within a couple months of me purchasing my truck the PMD had failed. I did not know about this site or the vendors. I went through Oriellys and had a Dorman PMD waiting there for me to pick it up.
Went to the parts store and got that PMD and installed it. It had already been remotely mounted behind the bumper.
Installed that PMD and thought I should have a spare.
I liked what I had been reading about the Stanadyne grey box PMDs so I ordered one of those. Installed it. Requires an adapter harness. Dont forget the resistor.
Only two year warranty in the Stanadyne, life on the Dorman. I run the Stanadyne for several years.
Truck batteries died and low voltage killed the Stanadyne.
Installed the Dorman. It was okay but then the engine, on the road, cruise control set, a sort of a hickup. Cruise would shut down. Two more Dormans and finally got one that functions so far.
I did get another Stanadyne and heat sink. Also from Leroy, got the extension harness He makes that plugs into the stanadyne without an adapter. Have the Stanadyne harness plugged into the PMD, also behind the bumper.
The other end of the Stanadyne harness is next to the plug by the IP. If the Doeman fails then dont have to crawl under the truck to switch PMDs, just switch harnesses on top side and go.
If one fails, most likely in the worst of conditions, rain and mud puddles would be the worst. I dont want to crawl under the truck until the conditions suits me. 😹😹😹
Welcome to the forum 270.
Is that a caliber ? Nice one if it iz. 👍😹

Back