• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

&%$# PMD AGAIN!!!!!

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
Well this is the second time the pmd has gone out under my ownership of the truck of less than a year. I don't know if it has to do with my style of driving, i drive it for 30 minutes every day and park it which may be what's toasting them. Now for my predicament, it is still under warranty for another 45k miles. However last time i took it in to the shop it took them over a month to fix it. Have any of you guys had this kind of problem with warranty ip replacements?

I'm also watching diesel truck prices plummit and it's almost tempting to trade it in on a cough, choke, d-d-d-d..............ma....x (or maybe even a cummins or powerjoke). So whacha all think?

I wouldn't think the short drive is doing it. I live 3 miles from work. Max speed of 45mph. As soon as the engine is up to operating temp it's time to shut it down. I feel guilty everytime I get in the truck now.

I too have been watching them come down and it is very tempting. But I wouldn't be able to afford the maintenance on the newer truck.

X3, over a month down time would cost me alot more then the cost of the Heath PMD kit..

This is exactly how the 6.5 got its bad rap sheet and lost a lot of customers to chevy and ford diesel.

You know the problem. You know how to fix it. Or you just intchin for a new toy ? :)

If you got another vehicle to do your work with I would say get the stealer to fix it. I would try to talk them into doing the remote mount on it. They know the location is the problem. I would also ask for a loner that i could do my work with. Of course mine is out of warranty just like most of us responding to your post. I don't know that the down time would justify a new truck payment.

My cousin has an 06 cummins that has had: 6 injectors, 2 steering assemblies, $3000+ in body work from hitting the ditch because of death wobble, and assorted other things. All within 30,000km.

He's owned(and totaled) 3 6.5's and says they're a far superior machine in regard to reliability and ease of maintenance.

If you have a new pump, I would follow the suggestion of getting a Heath Isolator. If it took them 1 month last time, sounds like the shop is not very knowledgable. I don't think they even know about putting it outside.

Or you can get a new PMD from the stealer shop and mount it yourself.

Well this is the second time the pmd has gone out under my ownership of the truck of less than a year. I don't know if it has to do with my style of driving, i drive it for 30 minutes every day and park it which may be what's toasting them. Now for my predicament, it is still under warranty for another 45k miles. However last time i took it in to the shop it took them over a month to fix it. Have any of you guys had this kind of problem with warranty ip replacements?

I'm also watching diesel truck prices plummit and it's almost tempting to trade it in on a cough, choke, d-d-d-d..............ma....x (or maybe even a cummins or powerjoke). So whacha all think?

First question should be : WHERE IS IT MOUNTED ? Still on the pump ? Cooler at the intake ? If so, you don't have to wonder that this little black box is toasted again.

Get a Dipaco/D-tech PMD with a cooler, extension cable and move it outside the engine bay. You also could buy the heath one, but in my opinion, it's to expensive. You can do the same by your own for a lot less money.

Cu,
Sven

Deere Freek said:
I was just hoping that someone would talk some sence in me before i went and got an 06 cummins or something like that.......

How does another payment strike your fancy. That alone is enough to talk some sense into me.

lol. He's lucky to have a license. 3 6.5's and 1 duramax. Wrapped the duramax around a pole, 2 6.5's hit deer, and the third twisted the frame when he had to hit the ditch to avoid an oil truck that was pretty much driving diagnolly on the highway. All on the way to work at 5am in the dead of winter(he's a rigpig).

Sigh... saskatchewan drivers...

:) You know you're from Saskatchewan when:

1. Losing sight of the horizon, for even a few seconds, leaves you with a feeling of disorientation and discontent for the rest of the day.

2. You're confused when cars come equipped with options that would never be needed, such as curb feelers and turn signals and yet, obvious options such as trailer hitches and air conditioning, are extras.

3. 96% of Canada yell "oh shit" when they hit the ditch...the other 4% of us in Sask yell "hey buddy hold my beer and watch this " when we hit the ditch.

4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a combine on the highway.

5. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

6. You sort your laundry into three loads: greens, whites, and green-and-whites.

LOL. I love Saskatchewan! Only place on earth where you can watch your dog run away for 3 weeks.

My favourite:

- You can't understand why those stupid American television networks never settle on a schedule instead of shifting all their programs back and forth an hour every spring and fall.

Man, I get the feeling I'm gonna pay for this... let 'er rip, Flatlanders! :)

Oops... sorry for the Hijack on your thread, DF.

The big question you gotta ask is "how long do I wanna keep this truck?"

If it's a long time, I'd suggest you should put a Heath on it and never do it again. If it's a year, then Sven is right... put on a cheapie and save a few hundred bucks.

Since this is warranty, why not try to talk your Dealer into giving you (cash) what it would cost them to replace it again... along with a note saying the PMD will never be warrantied again. That would let THEM off the hook, and give YOU the $$ to buy a Heath PMD Isolator. If you tell them up-front what you're gonna do, they might go for it, to save pulling the IP and all the crap that goes along with replacing it in the factory location.

Thanks for the replies, i don't think i could get the dealer to do the cash idea, they would, i'm sure, want to do it themselves. And as far as a loaner goes they won't give one out because of insurance reasons. I called GM Corp. and a person promised me an enterprise truck but when it came time to pick it up they said that the person mispoke and that i wasn't getting one. Oops, was I ranting? sorry lol. Anyway, the heath kit looks tempting but $500 is allot of money for something that should be replaced by the dealer free of charge in a timely manner. The dealer said that if i wanted they would work with me and what i've already paid on my truck towrd the purchase of a diffrent truck.

Hah, hah, and Hah... did you tell him that after the way you've been jerked around here (down time, lack of loaner truck, screw-up over rental) that buying a new vehicle from him is pretty low on your list of things to do?

You gotta trust a dealer to buy from them...

Back