• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

plastic fuel filters

GMCYA

Resident Coonass
Reaction score
Anyone seeing a difference in the new filters over the old. I seem to be throwing a low fuel rail pressure code often since I started using these. Is it the new filter or should I start looking elsewhere. I guess I should start by upgrading my relief valve first.

The WIX filter I just installed is plastic and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the truck runs. I'm not getting any codes but I'm not driving it much since I'm at work. You are seeing this from just normal driving?

I would not feel at all comforable using a plastic housing fuel filter. I've only used the Parker/Racor one (same as factory).

I haven't had any issues since using the plastic ones.

I have been using the plastic ones for almost a year now. I have had NO problems. Even with the Arizona sun and 115* weather...

I took one apart using a broomstick to pop it open. The filter media is not big at all. I was surprised to see how small the actual filter really is. ( I have nothing to compare it to I never cut open the older style) I had one plug up within 2K miles, I attributed that to possibly bad fuel. I only had one of the metal canisters plug and that was with 8k miles. I am going to pick up an older style wix and test it. I get the code on WOT around the 120 mark but only after the filter has a few thousand miles on it. A brand new one will not code. I changed filling stations 3 times and would only fill at each one per filter so I can't say it is a particular filling station issue. That older vette owner just thinks he was pissed...if I hadn't limped the fuel system he would have really been pissed, Ha!

The new plastic WIX filter was to address the rust that some people were getting in the bottom of there filters. It is supposed to be a 2 micron single satge element from what I have read. the new RACO/AC DELCO filter is a dual stage filter that has about a 10 micron filter in the outside, and then a super fine 2 micron silk screen on the inside of the pre-filter. It is also treated with a coalescing agent to shed water off of it and deposit it to the bottom. I've ran into low rail pressure problems as well with the new 2 micron filters, even with the RACOR. I stopped buying my fuel from wally world and started buying it at HESS and no more problems. I would reccomend the new RACOR filter myself.

Here is Nick's filter I cut open and you can see the rust like build-up in it.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...the-inside-of-a-DURAMAX-fuel-filter-look-like

And here is one of the new style RACOR/AC DELCO styles cut open with wally world fuel.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?19232-fuel-filters-and-fuel-quality

I had an older style filter that I had removed with only 1K miles on it to replace with a new one for a trip to the track in a zip loc on the shelf so I figured WTH and replaced the plastic one with this one just to test it and I can not make it code. 137 on 35" mud grips gets a lil squirrly but I can hold it to the floor from 70mph until I start making pinch marks in the seat and it keeps going. I guess I need to look into a pre filter setup with some big ass canisters. Any suggestions on setups/vendors?

theres a new filter out,[autozone and carquest],''black plastic -cone shaped'' ,,ive used 2 [i needed to change out on the last trip,forgot to take a racor along8]both in my ipion are ''junk'' ,truck seems slower and now everytime i get on it i get lots of black exhaust smoke,,i'm going to send them both back

Wix has been working fine for me. Got a little smoke one time from a dead stop, but who doesn't like diesel smoke? :D

I had an older style filter that I had removed with only 1K miles on it to replace with a new one for a trip to the track in a zip loc on the shelf so I figured WTH and replaced the plastic one with this one just to test it and I can not make it code. 137 on 35" mud grips gets a lil squirrly but I can hold it to the floor from 70mph until I start making pinch marks in the seat and it keeps going. I guess I need to look into a pre filter setup with some big ass canisters. Any suggestions on setups/vendors?

Sorry, I just saw this... make your own pre-filter setup. It runs about $50 in parts.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?53-Duramax-DIY-Pre-OEM-Fuel-Filter

Thanks Grady.....so what's the consensus? 10 micron or 2? Should I install the filter before or after my lift pumps? I am assuming before. Going pick up the parts today.

GMCYA, do you have dual CP3's? Definitely run them before. It should be between the tank pickup and the lift pump. If you have an Airdog, then that has all the filters you need.

OR, you could place the filter between both lift pumps. ;) Have a lift pump, a filter and a lift pump. One pulls fuel from the tank to the filter, and then one pushes the fuel from the filter to the fuel rails, then to the injectors. In any event, I personally think you are better off with a traditional spin on filter, a 2 micron High Efficiency tall can metal cased spin-on, as compared to the OEM type filters.

OR, you could place the filter between both lift pumps. ;) Have a lift pump, a filter and a lift pump. One pulls fuel from the tank to the filter, and then one pushes the fuel from the filter to the fuel rails, then to the injectors. In any event, I personally think you are better off with a traditional spin on filter, a 2 micron High Efficiency tall can metal cased spin-on, as compared to the OEM type filters.

this is the way to go...currently mine are both after the nicktane but I will eventually get around to moving the 2 micron Cat/Nicktane to the frame rail and moving one of my pumps before the filter...

Yes Pep..I did state I had pump(s):D. In my sig also. I have connections;)
So now I get to re configure my setup...Joy:rolleyes5:
Okay, so... 2 micron, tall napa filter with one lift pump feeding it and one pulling from it.
I have to do something....I am running out of the older metal fuel filters and my truck does not like the new plastic ones...
I am an adamant supporter of everyone switching to hybrid vehicles.....I need all the extra fuel I can get my hands on:hihi:
At one time I had some low pressure transmitters with small 0-10 psi digital gauges...time to go dig in the shed....I plan to install one in between the first pump and filter and one after the second pump.
I'll get all the parts together but this probably won't get done for a month or so.
Thanks guy's.

Vince ,

If you can find a Cat dealer close to you I would suggest going with the cat...Cat filters are 2 micron absolute.

the Cat part # 1R-0749

BTW: I see you are at 999 posts...:postwhore:

one more puts you at 1000...

WooHooo!!!
:partay::coal: GMCtrk::85:

:postho.....

Okay so what filter head do I need for the cat filters? I am assuming that I can get that at the cat dealer also? We have holiday traffic in Lafayette now and not having a loop makes it damn near impossible to get anywhere within a reasonable time so this project will have to wait until after the first of the year. That and I will be hunting every weekend until the second weekend of Jan.

Find a RACOR dealer as they are metal filters and will outflow the plastic ones. I haven't had any problems out of mine with the RACOR brand filters on except for when I got a bad tank of fuel and it plugged up, but at least it stopped it before my CP3.

Back