• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pinion gear

Stoney

Reaction score
I decided to start putting my other truck together 2000' c3500 single cab single rear wheel , 5.7L 350. 4l80e. .. when I got it the previous owner didn't know it had a bad rear end.. so he graciously fixed it. He replaced it with a 4:10 Dana 1 ton rear end. I thought that was really good of him.. he's an old friend but I didn't expect him to do all that..
Any how, it's been sitting for quite a while on about friends property.. it kinda a bone yard a hand full of us store or extra trucks, trailers, other stuff that we don't have room at our houses to park..
Well awhile back a could guys (hoodrats) went up there and stole a bunch of stuff.. mainly catalytic converters, and some other stuff.. and they broke a bunch of the windshields.. my cat was already deleted, 😏.. but the broke my mirrors, and windshield.. they also come to find out stole the pinion gear out of the rear axel. Imagine my surprise when I started it and put it in gear...bam bam bam..I shut it off quick and then found the problem... Pissed..
Anyhow, I checked our local salvage yards.. they don't have one, was wondering if anyone has one they will sell me or knows a bone yard I can order one from... There almost impossible to get a new one and probably expensive as hell new if a place could get it ..
The pinion is a six bolt pattern, for a 14 bolt Dana rear end.

On these you just drop the u-joint (drive shaft) , and take the 6 bolts out of the pinion and it slides right out of the housing. I only know this because as some of you will remember a few years ago I grenaded the bearing that goes on the end of it on the nose. And it made one hell of a mess I remember posting pictures of it on TTS but I couldn't tell you which thread it was. That was on my dually.. what threw me off is there's only a handful of people that know that my white truck has a 1 ton rear end in it not a 3/4 ton. Which also helped in determining culprits. Anyone that did not know it had been switched to a one ton would have realized right away when they got under it that they were not pulling out a 3/4 ton pinion.. because it does not look anything like the three quarter ton one. I'm not in a big hurry to get the truck on the road, right now we just want to get it here to the house so I can work on it as I have time. I figure either somebody will have one for sale or somebody will know a good boneyard that ships parts.. around here parts for these trucks are becoming very hard to find.. I was at Pick-A-Part today and there was not a single '90s model as in this body style. I did find a 1978 wrecker that had a 410 Dana rear end but after climbing under it the drive shaft was literally buckled up into a V. And there was a lot of oil / grease around the shaft where it goes into the housing so I don't take that as a very good sign. And all four bolts on the u-joint are rounded off.. if I had had my easy out with me I probably would have pulled it and brought it home anyhow but I really don't think it's worth the work because of it took a hit that hard it's probably took damage

This is on my dually. But as I said, it identical..you just take the 4 bolts out of the u joint, and take those 6 bolts out of the housing and it slides right out.

Attachments

• KIMG5022.JPG
    KIMG5022.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 5
Here are a couple pics of the parts I have. The pinion is still mounted on the housing minus the nut for the yolk. The guy I had install the 3.73’s couldn’t get the yolk off. I should have the other pinion for the second ring gear that’s loose here somewhere. The ring gear that’s mounted on the spider gears went to the one in the housing.

D11813FE-FD3D-44AC-866E-800F1B6A3F52.jpeg3EC0CE05-582F-44D2-BE37-53D51C91DCC9.jpeg8D8D9F1A-BCBA-492E-802C-63137287EE56.jpeg

Yes the ring gear has to match the pinion for the gear ratio. you can't mis match them. 4.10 requires a 41 tooth ring gear and 10 tooth pinion.

now I don't know anything about swapping like for like on say a pinion of the same ratio on used gears without changing the ring gear. I would think it would work fine just have to be broken in just like new gears would, given that there is not a lot of wear on ether one! I'll let other with more experience answer that one.

both sets I have are 4.10's one came out of my truck and the other from a dually rear end I picked from a salvage yard. :)

@Will L. I changed just the pinion in the dually a few years ago when the old one grenaded... BUT it was identical to original.. it didn't grind or anything but that could just be coincidence and I got lucky...with the white truck I'm gonna be working on i want to make sure it's right.. it's got a lot of sentiment to me. So gonna make sure I do everything the way it's supposed to be..

Back