• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Picked up a TDI Cup Edition today.

Well this thing rips....

Spins the tires in 2nd and slips the clutch if you roll into it in 3rd or 4th. Its fun to drive. Its actually pretty quiet still, no noise inside and outside you just hear the turbo whistling through the exhaust.

Supposed to be around 300ft-lb of torque at the wheels.

Damn. My dad was asking about a tune on his Passat the other day. Might have to show him this, lol. Keep us updated on how the mileage responds.

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

I'd love to add some pep to my Jetta, but it's my DD...

I'd love to add some pep to my Jetta, but it's my DD...

It's not going to ruin it. This car is my wifes DD. Since we got it she has put 20,000 miles on it, she drives alot, very long commute and multiple jobs. generally 4000 per month or more.

the EPA junk will ruin it.

can you leave the HP near stock and just do the delete, and corresponding software to do the delete, but just not add power, if a guy is worried about the clutch and trans?

the EPA junk will ruin it.

can you leave the HP near stock and just do the delete, and corresponding software to do the delete, but just not add power, if a guy is worried about the clutch and trans?

Turns out the Cat must have been plugged as the code has not returned.

Yes there are different stages of tuning. I guess what i was actually hearing was the DMF chattering. Supposedly they have tuning that will fix this, I just don't feel like sending the ECM out again at this point. I doubt the wife will beat on it too hard.

Forgot to take one, gotta put it up on the lift again later this week for the snow tires and Panzer plate. I'll get one then.

what is a panzer plate? sounds intimidating to say the least.

Thick aluminum skid plate to replace the factory plastic splash sheild. TDI oil pan protection. I'll get some pics when I get it up on the lift, getting ready for snow right now though.

I right away pictured a Panzer tank when you posted that. Makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Still haven't gotten the plate on or any pics for you and the mileage has stayed down some which I'm still trying to get sorted out but I did get the snow tires on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387750703395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387750703395.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 9
Sharp looking daily driver that should last a while and it Sounds like she keeps the roads hot with her travels. Good luck to her in the snow and ice driving. What brand of snow tires do you run on a car like that?

Sharp looking daily driver that should last a while and it Sounds like she keeps the roads hot with her travels. Good luck to her in the snow and ice driving. What brand of snow tires do you run on a car like that?

Thanks.

I run Michelin X-Ice Xi3's on our cars. Part of it is because I'm a bit of a Michelin nut as many know, I put Michelin on almost everything at the farm, semis, pickups, tractors, skid steers, loaders etc etc. Having a national fleet account with them really helps on the pricing as well. The main thing I like about the Xi3's though is their dry road performance. I don't live in Canada where the roads don't get much of a chance to clear off nor do I live in a place where the county doesn't do a good job of taking care of the roadfs. Most of our roads are all plowed immediatley and salted so the main thing I look for in a snow tire is ice performance for the random patches of ice that jump out of no where and lead to most accidents, and I also look for performance on wet slushy roads and dry roads. Especially with the amount of miles my wife puts on, dry road performance is key. These things are quiet, smooth, tight in the corners and wear like iron. I have a set on her V6 Mustang that I have been driving since she got the TDI (though I regret to admit to it) and I actually never took them off for the summer months and they performed great. I don't put many miles on it but they didn't wear fast in the heat of the summer at all. When you get into deep snow the Xi3's are not as good as a Blizzak, Hakka R, or Winterforce, but for my situations I like them the best.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3's

I do have a set of 4 year old Winterforces on their last year I think on my sisters TDI. Put them on back when i worked at a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer. They dig in snow like no other but that's not always a good thing. The Michelins and Blizzaks tend to pack the snow under them and then get traction on top of it. The winterforces are great if you can stud them but we cannot in WI. They are a much cheaper tire though however you get what you pay for. As always, Firestone is a second tier tire so the technology in them is further behind than the first tier tires. This means they wear a little uneven and become very noisy over time. They also just do not last as long and their ice performance relies on you studding them so without studs they are not very good on ice.

Winterforce

I also have a set of WS60 Blizzaks on my Jetta that I got a good deal on from the place I worked at when the WS70s came out. They do better in the snow than the Michelins and are better in every other category than the Firestones. They are not a firm feeling on dry pavement as the Michelins but they have been wearing even. I don't put many miles on though so its hard to compare to the wear of the Michelins. The WS70 is the updated version of the WS60.

WS60

WS70

The Hakka R's are another very good snow tire.

I do like the Winterforce LT though. I put a set of them on our 2011 Duramax because they do not make the Blizzak W965 in an 18" size. The winterforce is noisier than the Blizzak and doesn't wear as well but does get good traction. Still like the W965 the best though for an E range snow tire.

Winterforce LT

Winterforce LT's after 8,000 miles of pulling 30' cattle trailer and regular driving.

Blizzak W965

I even kind of put snow tires on our semi's. I run Michelin XDN2's on the drives of our KW that hauls milk and X Works XDY's on our Freightshaker that usually sits on our belt trailer and ends up in the mud a lot. The XDN2s have a ton of siping and are great on wet roads and ice, they also have a very long tread life and the open shoulder helps dig into the snow and muck a bit but they cannot go through very deep mud or snow. That truck stays on main roads for the most part so the XDN2's are great. Priced very well also. They are very popular among milk haulers in the area. Milk haulers get to deal with the elements often because they can't not go to the farms because of the snow. Many are still running quads which can get through a lot of snow when you leave the pusher and tag up. The X-Works XDY's are meant for a truck that spends enough time on road regionally but spends a decent amount of time off road. Michelin says 60/40-80/20 is what they recommend it for. They dig very well in the mud and deep snow but with no siping they can be like any other mud type tire on ice. Surprisingly they are wearing extremely well though. we have 40k on them now and they have only worn down to 26/32 from 32/32" which i think is pretty good for an agressive tire. When we used to run FD663 Firestones we wouldn't even get 100k out of a set and they were not that much cheaper once I got setup on the Michelin program. It doesn't matter to me for our applications, but I found it kind of funny that the XDY's actually have a much lower rolling resistance rating than the XDN2's. Most "Low RR" tires are less than 110, the XDN2's are terrible at 140 while the XDY's are rated at 125. The XDN2's are bad due to the deep tread and extensive siping, it generates a lot of resistance. Tires that have a long wear life generally have more rolling resistance so for long haul fleets you have to balance the fuel savings with the wear life. For us the fuel useage is negligible, far more things are more important than the fuel savings. Now the XDU S's that I run on our Feed truck are higher at 152 though. They are also very agressive but they are a retread which generally have slightly higher RR ratings it seems. They have been doing very well in the snow as well. They are designed for refuse trucks running in high scrub applications which is what our Feed truck is doing. Twisting and turning all day. I used to run FD663 style recaps and couldn't even get a year out of them. This truck runs about 3,000hrs per year but doesn't get many miles. The XDU S's will heat up a lot if you spend too much time at high speed with them but they do stay much cooler and wear much more even than the traditional refuse tire design.

XDN2

X Work's XDY

XDU S Pre-Mold Retread's on Mich Casings.

The Michy's on the Tractor do good in snow too haha. Although the MF likes to throw plenty of fits, its the last one left on the farm thank god.

So now you know to never ask me a question about tires again, I go a bit overboard but its something I spend a lot of time researching because tires are very expensive and too many people just buy the cheapest they can find without looking at the costs in the long run. I was turned into a tire snob at the dealership I worked at, the guys there were very professional about everything and taught me a lot. I was B/F stone biased for awhile but then switched to a Michelin bias a few years back. Bridgestone is my second choice for most things. Firestone has never really impressed me though. I'm happy Bridgestone is now going to be making ag tires to compete with Michelin. Trelleborg is my second choice for Ag tires but if they prove to be wearing as good as the Michelins they may become my first choice as they are much cheaper but still have the European design that I prefer. Euro design is deep R1W tread, steeper 40-45* lugs, IF technology and "D" speed rating (40mph). I prefer the Euro design because it is much much better on the road and in wet conditions. The Michelin Axiobibs and Trelleborg TM900s are two of my favorites currently but while the large tires are better for most things they are very dangerous on ice due to the low ground pressure. They ride like a dream though, wear like iron and keep the tractor much narrower for road transport.

Axiobibs on our Fendt, IF800/70R38s on the back and IF620/75R30's on the front. Fendt only offers Michelin and Trelleborg.

Alright I'm done now I swear.

I'm praying for that bumper all winter, LOL.

Me too, I just took it through some wet heavy snow over 2' deep the other day though and it took it like a champ. I was scared though. It was a big pile left from a plow where I needed to turn. The bumper is already cracked which may help a little not sure. You can't tell though as its cracked under the lower middle grill. I plan on getting it welded back together this spring.

On another TDI note, finally got my old beater out to the shop. Been dead at my house since summer. Got a long list of things to fix on that old girl.

Very nice reviews on all the tires and equipment. You mentioned the Michelins, right now I am running the LTX MS/2 (bought them in May of 2012) on my truck and really like them. So far tread wear looks real good and they ride like a dream. I have not had a chance to try them out in much snow yet. For when the going gets tough I have four Blizzak W965's mounted on four pyo wheels that I bought from another Chevy owner. I must say those tires go real good on snow and ice. I usually put them on in early November, but I am going to take a chance on the Michelins since so far we have had a mild winter with very little snow.

Back