• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Paul & I did the Allison

Dura-Ration

No Obuma
Reaction score
It was a wonderful experience to work with Paul (Pepperidge) once again. This time it was my truck that needed help. It was time for a Stage 4 with Precision ML torque converter. With guidance from Mike L at Inglewood Transmission we were able to complete the build with a few road blocks that were demanding little basturds. Phone calls were used with our road blocks if we weren't able to figure them out and Mike was always at my beckon call when needed. There were a few pics taken at the beginning of the build but the camera was soon not to be in our thoughts. Our FULL attention was needed on more important things. Maybe if we had LUPO there to take some pics it would have been more documented. ):h
Taking the transmission out proved to be a longer ordeal than was expected even with an autolift and Trans jack, but we're more experienced than before incase we ever do it again. I hope not! :mad2: Or at least on my truck. Lots of drinking water later, we were able to get the Allison back in without much fanfare. While we were working on the tranny it was decidedly a no brainer to do the transfer case rub fix too. I had bought the 50.00 rub fix plate from Kennedy Diesel months before to install. I put it off until it was time to do the above build. It was already on the floor, so why not do it. After the case was split, which took awhile, it was easy to install the plate and put the case together again. I want to mention that NONE of this would have been possible without Pauls help and smaller hands to get at alot things. Doing the Allison by yourself would be right next to impossible. IMHO
We got it all in and with all fliuds to find there was a problem with it. It would not move! Oh shoot. What went wrong. After a phone call to the Mike it came down to that 13 quarts was not enough fluid, so we put more and it worked after awhile. After we were satisfied that it was ok, we went for a ride. Wow what a diiffrence. It shifted fine and down shifted fine to my delight. We drove for about 5 to 10 miles and parked it in the gargage. It was running 200 degrees, so I let it cool down a little and shut it off. So we celebrated and congradulated each other. Paul went home to rest and I went in to shower for bed early.
Steve:D

I had a great time and it was a great experience...I found the refresh of the tranny to be much easier than the manual labor of removing it... some things would have been easier with the right tool...that spring clip in the drum behind C1 & C2 was the toughest part of that...Glad to have been a part of this Steve...and Thanks to Mike for being there when we needed the next steps and bits of advice...

Good to hear all went well. Sounds like it's time to lay down some numbers at the track. :thumbsup:

Problem

Yes, Mike I worked on it last night. For those who are wondering, I have a problem with a sticking "D" solenoid or valve in the valve body. So last night I took the valve body out as instructed by Mike. I removed all the valves one at a time and cleaned them with brake cleaner and did find two that were dirty. I lubed them with vaseline and put them back together, put both halves back together carefully and installed the valvebody back into the transmission while watching the "Tricky Dickey" manual shift valve that loves to fall out if you aren't watching. :eek: So I gumed up that valve with vaseline and that worked great. So its almost back together now. I will be finishing this afternoon when I get off work today. I'll keep ya'll posted. Patience is a virtue!
Are we working tonight Steve?

All's Well

:banana:paul and I took another look Friday and found a clip that holds the wiring harness and solenoid "D" loose. It was losing pressure at that point enough to not move the truck. It's fine and Dandy now ! WOOT WOOT
:driving:

I'm just glad it was something easy...pulling that thing down and cracking it open would not have been on the option list of fun things to do...Truck hauls ass now without limping the tranny...:D

now "that" is a fun option ;)

Congrats!

Feels good not having to worry about limping it.

Back