• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pathetic Towing performance...

I thought about driveline brake. . . . Maybe use compressed air to spool up a turbo?

Would defeat the purpose as I'd have too much fun making it whistle. :D

What about an exhaust brake?

Workable with a M/T. For an A/T, the TCC unlocks *way* to much for any real effectiveness. BD sells a kit to help lock the TCC, but constantly read where it does not play well with the 6.5's OBD-II system and triggers limp mode and / or codes if the driver is not *very* careful.

Sounds like my Suburban. Only it has no power, ever. I thought the pump was on the way out bc its progressively had longer and longer crank times before it would start. Changed the pump to a known good used one and still a turd wagon. Starts slightly quicker though. New injectors and lift pump last year. Fuel filter has been changed 3 times (change it every 6 months) since I got the burban and replaced the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump bc of a leak. No changes in performance ever. Wondering if maybe it's just meant to be a turd lol.

Oh yeah, also bolted the wastegate shut last year bc it was getting zero boost and throwing a boost code. Thought the actuator was shot. Nope, just doesn't put out enough fuel to build boost. Wot with it bolted shut gets me about 14 psi on a cold day.

As far as turbos and towing go, I have a 35/40 hybrid on my 2000 k3500 with a 14cm housing and I wouldn't trade that for anything. By far the best turbo for towing that I have used. No need to wind the truck out with it. Builds boost early and builds it fast. Nearly as quick spooling as the stock turbo but good for a lot more airflow. I haul 10,000-15,000lbs with it quite a bit and can cruise along in overdrive with the converter locked up at 55mph with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like my Suburban. Only it has no power, ever. I thought the pump was on the way out bc its progressively had longer and longer crank times before it would start. Changed the pump to a known good used one and still a turd wagon. Starts slightly quicker though. New injectors and lift pump last year. Fuel filter has been changed 3 times (change it every 6 months) since I got the burban and replaced the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump bc of a leak. No changes in performance ever. Wondering if maybe it's just meant to be a turd lol.

Oh yeah, also bolted the wastegate shut last year bc it was getting zero boost and throwing a boost code. Thought the actuator was shot. Nope, just doesn't put out enough fuel to build boost. Wot with it bolted shut gets me about 14 psi on a cold day.

As far as turbos and towing go, I have a 35/40 hybrid on my 2000 k3500 with a 14cm housing and I wouldn't trade that for anything. By far the best turbo for towing that I have used. No need to wind the truck out with it. Builds boost early and builds it fast. Nearly as quick spooling as the stock turbo but good for a lot more airflow. I haul 10,000-15,000lbs with it quite a bit and can cruise along in overdrive with the converter locked up at 55mph with zero issues.

This^ is why I cant wait to get my 35/40 hybrid built. After sctrailrider explained the performance of his, my mind was made up and I set out looking for that elusive hx35 14cm turbine housing. I finally found one for $225. Now I just gotta get everything else together, which is just a matter of money.

Yeah, I searched for one and never found one. John at Unique ended up finding 2, I believe, and grabbed them both up when he built mine. I think it took him about 2 weeks of checking around with various sources before he finally found them.

I pulled a combined weight of 20,500lbs the other weekend in mine and it did alright. EGT's were not excessive (1100*F max). I did spent most of it in 4th and I'd go to 5th when the wind wasn't as bad (always a Wyoming wind). Boost was around 8-10psi most of the time unless on a hill. I never even turned my WMI on. The turbo I know helps so much. An upgrade well worth it IMO. The only issue was that long ass 3rd-4th RPM drop but even then she did alright with all that weight.

I pulled a combined weight of 20,500lbs the other weekend in mine and it did alright. EGT's were not excessive (1100*F max). I did spent most of it in 4th and I'd go to 5th when the wind wasn't as bad (always a Wyoming wind). Boost was around 8-10psi most of the time unless on a hill. I never even turned my WMI on. The turbo I know helps so much. An upgrade well worth it IMO. The only issue was that long ass 3rd-4th RPM drop but even then she did alright with all that weight.

That's very impressive for the hx-35. With the 14ft tandem axle trailer I haul loaded with 6 4 wheelers and about 400lbs of gear in the bed boost was higher than that for me. Pulling into Evanston Wyoming by way of Salt Lake that wind kills my big lifted brick of a truck and I'm pushing 10-14 psi with the HX-35 I have. I know I'm dragging a lot less weight than you too so I'm sure my RPM's are a big part of the boost difference due to my rear end gearing. Looking forward to what I will see with the ATT, I pulled a small trailer on the weekend with it and at 65mph I see around 3 psi. HX-35 is a very nice upgrade though.

This^ is why I cant wait to get my 35/40 hybrid built. After sctrailrider explained the performance of his, my mind was made up and I set out looking for that elusive hx35 14cm turbine housing. I finally found one for $225. Now I just gotta get everything else together, which is just a matter of money.

You're going to love it, it spools so fast and pulls, and keeps pulling all the way till redline.

Took another look at the 4L80E/6 'Bionic 80'.

Benefits: Allows engine braking as long as a controller and other parts are in the package. Closer ratio between gears. Allows paddle shifting.

Cons: Final is still 0.75. To fully maximize the benefits, seller's recommendation is to lower the rear gear; naturally this adds more cost, even more with 4WD. Cost for just the 'Bionic 80' with all the goodies is 2 - 3 times a rebuilt 4L80E.

I'd consider the 'Bionic 80' if I had my heart set on an automatic tranny. Given all-in pricing for the 'Bionic 80' (tranny + controller + re-geared diff's), a revised 4L80E and driveline retarder look like a less expensive (and possibly less complex) option.

What about a PTO mounted hydraulic pump? If you have a winch anyway...... seems like you could , but effective???IDK

That's very impressive for the hx-35. With the 14ft tandem axle trailer I haul loaded with 6 4 wheelers and about 400lbs of gear in the bed boost was higher than that for me. Pulling into Evanston Wyoming by way of Salt Lake that wind kills my big lifted brick of a truck and I'm pushing 10-14 psi with the HX-35 I have. I know I'm dragging a lot less weight than you too so I'm sure my RPM's are a big part of the boost difference due to my rear end gearing. Looking forward to what I will see with the ATT, I pulled a small trailer on the weekend with it and at 65mph I see around 3 psi. HX-35 is a very nice upgrade though.

You're going to love it, it spools so fast and pulls, and keeps pulling all the way till redline.

SS Force, im assuming you have a regular 12cm hx35, the turbo were talking about is a hybrid hx35 14cm turbine housing, with and hx 40 compressor, with custom wheels on both hot and cold sides.

SS Force, im assuming you have a regular 12cm hx35, the turbo were talking about is a hybrid hx35 14cm turbine housing, with and hx 40 compressor, with custom wheels on both hot and cold sides.

Actually I was running the hybrid HX-35 with the 14 cm housing. I am uncertain of the wheel sizes but its off the truck so its easy to check. I know the inducer is the 7 blade.

Sorry, I should have seen that in your sig. Is your compressor side an hx35 or hx40. If its an hx35, I would try a hx40 compressor, with this wheel. http://baeturbosystems.com/compress...0mminducer-5600mmexducer-3-3-1-1-1-4-2-2.aspx

No worries, I will have to check, I don't know much about it other than its a genuine Holset hx-35. Its also setup for water cooling too. I was going to plumb it in but never did. I still might if the HX ever goes back on the truck.

Do you have the 60mm compressor wheel? I've tried alot of wheels and so far, that is the best wheel for my setup. Still have a 66mm to try. My drive pressure is too high, its 2:1 at 13 psi WOT but I need to drop my exhaust and see if that's part of the problem, if not, then I have a 14cm housing to go on.

Actually I was running the hybrid HX-35 with the 14 cm housing. I am uncertain of the wheel sizes but its off the truck so its easy to check. I know the inducer is the 7 blade.

7 blade IIRC is around 54mm, it is the best stock HX35 wheel though. :D :cool:

Do you have the 60mm compressor wheel? I've tried alot of wheels and so far, that is the best wheel for my setup. Still have a 66mm to try. My drive pressure is too high, its 2:1 at 13 psi WOT but I need to drop my exhaust and see if that's part of the problem, if not, then I have a 14cm housing to go on.

7 blade IIRC is around 54mm, it is the best stock HX35 wheel though. :D :cool:

Yes, 6 blade 60mm wheel. I have another wheel sitting on my desk if I ever get around to having another turbo built. I have two hx35s, well, one is a h1c, but the h1c is a non gated one with what appears to be a really small compressor side and a huge hot side (guessing a 18 cm exhaust side). The 35 is in rough shape. Looks like the bearings came apart and the shaft bent. Flops around pretty good in there. I am hoping the housings are salvageable but have yet to pull it apart to see.

Wastegated.
ef83b78b04689a2de40d2a84e2ee4461.jpg

Here is mine

Back