• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Parts supplier

If I were in your shoes, that 6.2 would be my brand used engine for the truck.

I'm hoping I can go see it tomorrow if in get a hold of the guy. For the price I'll just buy it.

Yeah once the runaway engine is pulled, I'll tear it down and inspect everything real good. See what's worth keeping and what's trash.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did on Craigslist. Unless you can find another deal like that, I would seriously consider the takeout Optimizer

I was surprised too. Oh my mind agrees that a optimizer takeout is the way to go. It's getting my wallet to with it. Little tight on funds (who isn't these days) and it's suppose to be a backup rig. So been kinda hoping I can least get it running for the time being.

I'm half tempted to pan on the runaway, check it and fix the ip and see if it'll run.

What's the number on your pump ? .033 plungers ?
Most db2 pumps have .029 plungers, the ds4 and db4 use .028s but they have 4 verses 2. Here are the numbers from mine.
K1 DB2 833-4974

Last edited:
I'm well aware of a tight budget, but it's fun helping other people spend their money on stuff I wish I could buy.

If I was in your shoes I would pull the pan and check everything in there to. I'm so broke right now I wouldn't think twice about trying to get as many miles as I could out of it while saving up for a optimizer as long as everything looks decent under the pan and the pump checks out.

If your tempted, Go for it. You never know, the bearings might come out to be in your favor.

Last edited:
How did You get the run away engine shut down ?
Long as it didn`t seize up it`ll probably just fine with a set of bearings, rings and gaskets, if nothing internal broke.
My budget over here is tight, I mean real tight. to top it all off, the wifey quit Her job. : (

How did You get the run away engine shut down ?
Long as it didn`t seize up it`ll probably just fine with a set of bearings, rings and gaskets, if nothing internal broke.
My budget over here is tight, I mean real tight. to top it all off, the wifey quit Her job. : (

It ran on its own for about 30 seconds and slowly stopped itself. I ran from it like a little kid screaming "oh shit!!!" It still cranks over pretty good. Cylinders 1 and 3 lost about 50 psi of compression but it seems OK otherwise.

If I try to save it I was actually thinking of putting fresh oil and filter on then drive the oil pump with a drill for a couple minutes. Then dump and repeat 2 or 3 times to get all the fuel out of the block.

The ip has to come off to be gone through no matter what engine it gets used on.

I was out of work for 5 months last year. Sucked big time. I'm very happy to finally be some where with steady work.

If it's cranking over good and just the 2 cylinders down, you might have a rebuildable on. With any luck Cylinders 1&3 probably just swelled and toasted the rings. Inspecting the cylinders and expect descent hone work. Idk if I would spend $ on boring and new pistons if it came to that.

I Really want to put a safety on my intake, but cant afford the certified ones. Making my own is in the plans.

If it's cranking over good and just the 2 cylinders down, you might have a rebuildable on. With any luck Cylinders 1&3 probably just swelled and toasted the rings. Inspecting the cylinders and expect descent hone work. Idk if I would spend $ on boring and new pistons if it came to that.

I Really want to put a safety on my intake, but cant afford the certified ones. Making my own is in the plans.

If I have to I'll do it in frame as I have a dingle berry hone I can use. Easy enough to pull the one head and pop out the piston if needed. I have to get it torn down first. I'll see if I can't get the pan pulled at least this weekend.

With that much fuel in the oil, it would wash out the cylinders and cause low compression. Did You try adding some oil to those cylinders and see if the compression would come up on them ?
That would be wonderful if You could just shove in a couple of pistons and run it.
@Will L. I too have been thinking about this run away engine thing. That installing an emergancy shut down sounds like a grand idea.
If You do build one, please post in the process, I now too will be thinking about this and seeing what the best way to add in an emergency shut down would be.

I keep a 2x6 about 2 foot long In the bed just in case. I hope I never have a runaway but hopefully if I do I can catch it in time before the Rpms are through the roof. If not I'll just run like hell and hope for the best.

With the amount of fuel that has dripped out when I pulled mains 2, 3, 4. It's likely that cylinders 1 and 3 did just get washed down and may come back.20170903_122831.jpg 20170903_131149.jpg

They don't look to bad considering so I'm going to pull a couple of the rods to check them.

If You push a fingernail across the rod and main journals, does the finger nail catch on the scores ?
I would say that with some fine emory cloth that the crankshaft could be polished in frame and new bearings installed.
Biggest thing would be getting the sandings removed from the oil riflings in the crank shaft.

The only one with something that could be felt is #3 main. I don't feel anything on the others. So I'm thinking rod and main bearings, new high volume oil pump, rebuild the ip and run her as is.

Shouldn't be to hard to clean any shavings. If you wet the Emory cloth with oil it'll catch most of the shavings.

Back