• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0355 and other troubles

Esben101

Reaction score
My 6.5td 97 runs perfectly fine until about 2000rpm and above, at this point it starts hiccuping and goes into limp mode. Usually the code p0251 and p0355 comes. I have gone over all grounds, changed pmd and relocated, and done so much more i cant even remeber. Anyone have som good ideas for what i can do to fix this issue?

My 6.5td 97 runs perfectly fine until about 2000rpm and above, at this point it starts hiccuping and goes into limp mode. Usually the code p0251 and p0355 comes. I have gone over all grounds, changed pmd and relocated, and done so much more i cant even remeber. Anyone have som good ideas for what i can do to fix this issue?
Also sometimes when it idles, it drops way to low on the Rpm and it basically sounds like the engine tries to kill itself, however its only like a second or two, and its back to normal

Welcome to the Truck Stop Esben101.

I am sure at some point some of the guys on here that are familiar with the 6.5td will chime in, just be patient.

P0251 is a code for the camshaft position sensor/optical sensor. You need to check the signal at the PCM with a lab scope. If you don't have one a DVOM that reads Hz will also work. Should be around 60 Hz at idle. Check your wiring and also make sure your not getting air into the system. Gm had a TSB about air getting into the fuel systems causing that code on the 96-97 trucks. More than likely you have a bad sensor in the pump.

P0355 isn't a code. Maybe it's a p0335? Which is a code for the Crank position sensor. Again same thing applies. Check for a signal at the PCM. Confirm power and ground at the sensor. Hope this helps

Disconnect crank position sensor and crank it over, might take a while for it to start, if it starts then plug back in optical sensor and disconnect crank position sensor, if it dont start then replace the crank sensor. At least that's the trouble shooting procedure I have read about in this forum. LOL

If you need the CPS, replace only with ACDelco CPS, NOT AFTERMARKET.
You may need to order it either from RockAuto or Amazon.
The aftermarket does not work.

The connector of the CPS is usually hidden close to area of the t-valve fuel drain.
It is snaked up from down below.

Unplugging the sensors is a great way to narrow down your problem. But once you do, take the time to test the wiring. Everyone always overlooks wiring issues and goes right for the sensor.

Hi, and thanks for all the replies i havent got notifications so did not see the answers before now haha. However i have come to the conclusion that it likely is the cranckshaft position sensor and am now in the middle of replacing this one, i saeæw you recommended one specific brand, however i did not see this before buying the replacement from a brand called STANDARD, i live in norway and this was the only one the dealer had, is it completely trash i have already used one of these so i was very sceptical ofbuying the same brand again, but i wanted to get my truck running again after standing for 4 months haha.

Anyways thanks for all the good replies

P0251 is a code for the camshaft position sensor/optical sensor. You need to check the signal at the PCM with a lab scope. If you don't have one a DVOM that reads Hz will also work. Should be around 60 Hz at idle. Check your wiring and also make sure your not getting air into the system. Gm had a TSB about air getting into the fuel systems causing that code on the 96-97 trucks. More than likely you have a bad sensor in the pump.

P0355 isn't a code. Maybe it's a p0335? Which is a code for the Crank position sensor. Again same thing applies. Check for a signal at the PCM. Confirm power and ground at the sensor. Hope this helps

this is probably a stupid question but im not an electrician just a student with a hubbymechanic side project, but how does one check for 60hz at the pcm? i have a mulitimeter, however on the pcm there are three different connections with a ton of wires

A good meter will have a Hz setting. You can use the AC setting as well. I think that PDF gave the voltage spec. If your not getting signal on the green wire you need to check PCM inputs. I would get a scanner on it that reads data and see if something is off or missing.

You can use an oscilloscope. Or wired earphone

Attachments

• IMG-20160812-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20160812-WA0015.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20160817-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20160817-WA0000.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
Back