• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

p0251, etc

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
took off from a stop sign today and the truck seemed to cough and sputter. SES light kicks on and i happened to have my code reader with me. pulled over and checked it, i had P0251, P0070(wtf?), and i believe the last one was P0370(but i can't remember). i know the P0251 is a code you really never want to see, but i cleared the codes and kept driving. The truck had all its normal power, no black smoke, and sounded like it always has. i get up on the highway on ramp about 1/2 an hour later with a friend of mine to go pick up some parts for a repair job. I step on it and hit ~70 mph and my buddy looks over at me and says "it feels like your truck is stumbling". no sooner did he get the last word out of his mouth, the truck shook violently once(felt like someone rear ended me) and kicked an SES. check it again, P0251. :cuss: :cuss: :mad2:

i called Bill Heath to ask his opinion before i started donating organs to afford an IP. he said that the P0251 and the other associated code(which i cannot remember the number now but i think it was P0730) is a sign of a weak LP. last i checked my LP pressures i had ~4.5 psi at idle and ~1 psi WOT with the stock programming. Bill said it should be ~7 psi idle and no less than 2 psi running WOT with the GL4 reflash.

now that the story is told, my questions are 1.) how much debt am i going to be in now? 2.) What do you all think? and 3.) anyone got a fuel pressure gauge thats local to me? :eek: i can't find my fuel pressure gauge anywhere. i did check for flow and i opened the t-valve with the engine running and a hose attached to the drain valve and i did get fuel out of it and the truck didn't stall out. it didn't seem like that much fuel however. It looked more like a gravity feed trickle then anything with pressure behind it.

I don't have a gauge, but when I was troubleshooting my LP a few years ago, Bill loaned me one. Guess who I bought a new LP from, even though it was a bit more $$ than locally?

Check with std press/vac gauge about $22 at part store don't need to get fancy with it, also I plumbed in permanent a gasser pressure gauge 0-15 I got for about $9 IIRC.

Same test gauge here http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=2496 from Harbor freight is all you need, and IMO a must have in every 6.5ers tool kit

Also can do a volume capture test, 15 gph is good pump, or 1/2 pt (.24 liter) in 15 sec. can you slave in a separate suction to your lift pump into a fuel can, could be looking at a snotty sock as well

Check with std press/vac gauge about $22 at part store don't need to get fancy with it, also I plumbed in permanent a gasser pressure gauge 0-15 I got for about $9 IIRC.

Same test gauge here http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=2496 from Harbor freight is all you need, and IMO a must have in every 6.5ers tool kit

Also can do a volume capture test, 15 gph is good pump, or 1/2 pt (.24 liter) in 15 sec. can you slave in a separate suction to your lift pump into a fuel can, could be looking at a snotty sock as well

Tim. as long as its not the IP, i'll feel better. its the WOT accel that seems to set it off. i've got to go get a fuel pressure gauge as mine's MIA. 1/2 pt in 15 seconds? that i'll have to check now. thanks. :smile5:

- Dave

managed to rig up a crude pressure tester. hooked it up to the water drain valve and got some readings. Idle ~3-4 psi :frown5: WOT less than 1 psi if not 0. :eek: ilooks like i found my problem. since i'm in a pinch and would like to replace this pump today, what brands are good? i know i can get them from advance auto, napa, autozone, pepboys, etc. i'd love to get one from Heath but i just can't wait for it to get here. my other car is down and rattling like a diesel(and its not). Napa wanted like $270-something, which is nuts. i don't even think the guy at napa looked up the right part. i'm still calling around.

I bought the pump for a 93. Supposed to be a higher output unit. I bought mine at NAPA. I don't remember what I paid, but if he quoted you $270, then he either loked up the wrong part, or he is trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping by filling his pockets before he goes. I think it was under $100, probably more like 80, maybe less, can't remember. But, I also don't remember saying WTF!! when I bought it.

I bought the pump for a 93. Supposed to be a higher output unit. I bought mine at NAPA. I don't remember what I paid, but if he quoted you $270, then he either loked up the wrong part, or he is trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping by filling his pockets before he goes. I think it was under $100, probably more like 80, maybe less, can't remember. But, I also don't remember saying WTF!! when I bought it.

Exactely!!!
Have a look at Rockauto.com, in the 1993 K3500 section, you will find the Airtex (the one I have, doing such a nice job that I don't feel the need for the Walbro* I bought---) the Carter and the ACDelco, and they are all less $95.00

* but I will put in on when I'll find a few spare time :D

I bought the airtex for a 93 from o'rielly's. they were the only ones that had it in stock locally. It was around 80 dollars. All the othe stores had the pump for 94-up but I wanted the 93 if I could get it.

I have also had this code. It happened one day starting up my truck to leave work. It stumbled and acted like it didn't want to run so I had to feather the peddle to keep it running. After about a minute I turned the truck off and restarted it and the SES was on. I ran the codes and 0251 popped up. My heart sank. I reset the codes and it hasn't come back. In my case it might have been some bad fuel or a fluke. At least that's what I hope, at least it hasn't been back yet...

What is the status of your stinky tank sock? Any chance your getting starvation due to blockage? Blow back into the tank through the fuel line and see if that temporarily clears it up. Can't hurt. You may have thought of this already.

Last edited:
What is the status of your stinky tank sock? Any chance your getting starvation due to blockage? Blow back into the tank through the fuel line and see if that temporarily clears it up. Can't hurt. You have have thought of this already.

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be the lift pump after all.

well guys. here's the verdict. new 93 LP installed(airtex rated for 10-14 psi). ~8-10 psi idle and 5-6 WOT. but thats with a shoddy fuel pressure tester made from some hose and an old boost gauge :eek: but it worked. truck pulls better than ever, and i can tell its getting the proper fuel now. EGTs are higher and so is power(seat of the pants dyno anyways). rolling at 15-20mph(i wasn't looking at the dash but it was in 2nd) i punched it, broke the tires free, went sideways and scared the hell out of myself. Then i proceeded to find the first big hill i could and took off up it at WOT in 3rd. at the top of the hill i was doing 70 mph and not a hiccup from the truck.

regardless i've got my fingers crossed.

Of course, young fella, you could have just gone for a few days WITHOUT wrapping your big toe around the rad cap...

Nah. Where's the fun in that? :D

Of course, young fella, you could have just gone for a few days WITHOUT wrapping your big toe around the rad cap...

Nah. Where's the fun in that? :D

Gotta have some fun right Jim? its too bad i ran out of hill or i would've kept the pedal through the firewall longer. i just don't think the owner's of the house at the top of the hill would appreciate a new "truck sized" window in their house. :eek:):h

truck coded again today. p0251.....:cuss: pull over in the grocery store parking lot, clear the code. then start the truck back up, and its idling then it misfires, once, and hasn't done it since. then driving away back to my house....suddenly no power, i look down at the dash to the lovely site of "service engine soon" staring me in the face. get home, check it P0251 :cuss: Not again?!? called Heath and one of the guys there suggested looking for the OS filter harness. so i pull the upper intake and there it is. The person i spoke with at Heath said he's had trucks come in where he's squeezed the OS filter block with pliers and the truck died out. he said the OS filter is not needed in the 96 and up as the filter was integrated into the ECM. i'm headed to go remove the toasty looking OS filter harness now. God i hope this is it. If not, it may be the end of 6.5 ownership for me. :sadwavey: I can't afford an IP.

try that Ebay site? Ive got a couple for parts/pmds for under 100 bucks and the one Ive had on my truck for 40k I got for under 700 if I remember right

try that Ebay site? Ive got a couple for parts/pmds for under 100 bucks and the one Ive had on my truck for 40k I got for under 700 if I remember right

If I aint mistaken he already has a Heath PMD!

Maybe I mistake your post! To much southern comfert! See I cant even spell

Back