• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OTC SCANNER AND WHERE THE TUNE NOW SETS

MrMarty51

Reaction score
I borrowed the OTC scanner, left the shop owner with a 20 dollar bill for the use of His old scanner, He has a new OTC scanner and another for a spare.
I also made Him an offer for this scanner as it needs a battery and He never uses it. I hope an offer He can not refuse. LOL
This is on My 2000 Chevrolet K3500, auto trans, Stanadyne PMD with the no. 9 resistor. It also has the home made spring loaded waste gate controller installed. If there is any other pertinent info that needs to be added, please advise.
I took some pics. of some of the settings where the engine now sets. I will be trying to improve on these numbers, as far as My limited knowledge goes, I think that they are way off.
I apologize for the pic. being vertical instead of horizontal, but, I`m sure that You all get the general idea. LOL
IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg IMG_3290.jpg IMG_3291.jpg

One question I have.
Should a person run it through the automated self timing off set procedure before continuing on with the injection pump timing ?
And which direction to turn the pump ?

Okay, running through the TDC off set procedure, here is the new reading.
Figuring from the rotation of the camshaft, then the direction of the injection pump gear, Now I`ll rotate the pump, top to right hand side and see about getting the timing to the 3.5 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
That's showing you are at max advance TDCO of -2.50. That either indicates a failed crankshaft position sensor (CPS), or the pump is already rotated too far to the driver side. If it visibly looks oriented to the driver side, it's time to rotate it back to a more vertical position. "It" = fuel shut off solenoid in relation to the engine). Scan for "Crank References Missed" first to see if it's reading 0. If it's higher than 0, the CPS is bad.

If it stalls after you move it and command a learn, that means it's too far to the passenger side.

That's showing you are at max advance TDCO of -2.50. That either indicates a failed crankshaft position sensor (CPS), or the pump is already rotated too far to the driver side. If it visibly looks oriented to the driver side, it's time to rotate it back to a more vertical position. "It" = fuel shut off solenoid in relation to the engine). Scan for "Crank References Missed" first to see if it's reading 0. If it's higher than 0, the CPS is bad.

If it stalls after you move it and command a learn, that means it's too far to the passenger side.
Thank You QuadStar.
You members sure have been a big help.
When I had the timing cover off last winter, I did install a new crank position sensor. Crank references missed is at 0.
Well, I was trying to reset the timing, by rotating the pump so I guess the off set is probably all messed up now.
I did a search and found a thread where it seems that the timing is probably controlled by the PCM, so there is probably no changing that. It is currently running at 14.4 to 14.9. I`ll do the relearn ten see where it is at.
I will rotate the pump back so that the shut off solenoid is more to the vertical then run it through the TDC off set learn procedure again. Then I guess I had better leave it alone before I really hurt something. LOL

Turned the pump back to a more vertical position according to the shut off solenoid. Did the relearn procedure. Still set at -2.5 and the engine did not stall during the procedure.
Actual pump timing is at 11.8 and then there is this DES pump timing and that number is at 11.7.
I dont know what DES is for, if it is desired or what. LOL
Still the Crank References missed is at 0.

Looking around in the forum and came across this, in the tech section.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/fyi-tdco-timing-the-ds4-injection-pump.11754/
I will have to go back through and read this some more. some things I do not understand, I will do some more research and see how much trouble I can get into, then holler HELP ! ! ! ! LOL
Something about the +3.5 degrees that I could not find in the scan tool. All I could see was with the -2.5 degrees then the actual pump timing of 11.8.
Maybe I am already in trouble and just do not yet recognize it. LOL I do not believe that there is anyone in this one horse town that I could call upon for assistance too.

Another run through the procedure. Off set is at -2.3 and actual pump timing at 11.6 and desired pump timing displays at 11.7.
I believe that My head is thicker than the books, makes learning this stuff relatively slow. LOL

Forget the 3.5 degrees, all you need to concern yourself with is getting the tdc offset in the -1.5 to -1.9 range. The base time set is an obd1 deal, not obd2. As to the rest, I don't see any issues. If you put a #5 resistor back in it, your fuel rate at idle will probably go back to the 7-9 mm3 of fuel range where it should be. Timing is controlled via an internal table, just worry about actual matching desired, and getting your tdc offset in spec so the ecm can control the timing as the pump needs to be oriented correctly so it can control the timing throughout the desired range.

Forget the 3.5 degrees, all you need to concern yourself with is getting the tdc offset in the -1.5 to -1.9 range. The base time set is an obd1 deal, not obd2. As to the rest, I don't see any issues. If you put a #5 resistor back in it, your fuel rate at idle will probably go back to the 7-9 mm3 of fuel range where it should be. Timing is controlled via an internal table, just worry about actual matching desired, and getting your tdc offset in spec so the ecm can control the timing as the pump needs to be oriented correctly so it can control the timing throughout the desired range.
Thank You again THEFERMANATOR. I think I sometimes overthingk situations. LOL
I`ll rotate the pump a MM or so and then see where it stands. It was at -0.25 after I reset the pump, it now is at -0.23 after another reset, it should not take too much of a turn to the drivers side to bring it down.
There was an instruction page with the new CPS, those instructions is saying that it should be between -0.25 and -0.75.
I will go with what You say, You seem to really know Your way around these units.
When I ordered the Stanadyne PCM, all they had listed for the resistors was the no. 9. I will shop around and see if I can find a no. 5. I do have a no. 5 from the old module but the connector plugs are different and I know that it will not fit. I have not looked at it too good, might be able to do some filing on it if I can not find a no. 5 for the Stanadyne module.

you can do the relearn multiple times without moving the pump and get different readings It has a range of sorts for each pump position

you can do the relearn multiple times without moving the pump and get different readings It has a range of sorts for each pump position
Thank You AK. I will run it through again.
For some reason, I`m always putting in the number before the . the numbers on the scanner was -0.23, not -2.3.

I finally got finished with the scanner today.
I ended with the instructions that was with the new crank position sensor. It was calling for -0.25 to -0.75. After I went through the relearn process a few times, moved the pump twice more and settled on -0.50.
It seems to run real good. I hope it was right.
Next step is going to get a no. 5 resistor and clip it so that it will fit the grey Stanadyne pump module. See then if the fuel mileage will noticeably increase.

I have a #5 here some where I can put in a envelope and send it to you if you want it. You can have it. It's for the black style pmd if I remember right.

Well that is mighty thoughtful. I will take You up on that. I`ll PM My addy to You.
I have a no. 7 if You wold like that one.
I did put up a Stanadyne page/link that shows about clipping the ends so that either style of the resistors will fit either of the modules.
Might help someone some day.

The resistor is a calibrator. Stanadyne 8nstead of programming the ecm for pump variances used a resistor. A #5 is in the middle of the accepted range, and is the most commonly used resistor stock. By going to a #9 resistor, it gives toughly 7mm3 more fuel iirc(the ecm will call for 64mm3 of fuel max, and iirc from the stanadyne chart a #9 in plce of a #5 would give roughly 70.5mm3 of fuel when 64mm3 of fuel was requested). The only reason I mentioned the resistor is you should see roughly 7-8mm3 of fuel when idling, but your screenshot showed 5. Running a #9 in place of a #5 will cause this to happen as it changes the calibration slightly, and causes the scanner to show slightly less fuel being injected than actual since the calibration resistor was changed. It makes no difference on mpg's as no matter what, it takes X amount of fuel to do Y amount of work, meaning it takes a preset amount of fuel to make enough HP to push your truck at a given speed. You improve mpg's by reducing the load on the engine, or by making the engine make the HP more efficiently by either reducing boost, or increasing timing.

Back