• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OS, exploded view

bison

Reaction score
Some people claim that the optical sensor can be cleaned,...i was not so sure of that and today i set out to prove or disapprove that claim.
I decided to cut one apart and see how it is put together.
I started with cutting through the brass insert and the aluminum on both sides and then carefully pried the two halves apart and peeled each layer back to expose what lies underneath.

There is actually 2 eyes on each side, one above the other. The eyes are tiny glass balls mounted on a chip board. the one side the brass cover plate has just a hole drilled through and the "eyes" are in plain view. However on this particular OS one of the eyes happens to be missing (so at least i did not sacrifice a potential good OS).
On the other side there is a very thin SS cover over the hole in the brass plate,That cover plate has 1 small slot on the top and a row of 7 smaller slots at the bottom, these 2 eyes are also mounted on a small chip board centered behind these top and bottom slots and they are not visible nor is there AFAIAC no possible way of cleaning the eyes on that side.
As you can see in the pics the slotted cover was also not with out damage as it is dented in and cracked, also it appears the encoder disc had been riding against it and wore a visible groove in it.

This OS came from one of my spare IP's and it is safe to say it was the cause of that IP's failure.:agreed:

Based on the above findings i will play myth buster here and say the myth is busted,... cleaning the eyes on a OS is not possible.:nonod:

Attachments

• Optical Sensor 006.jpg
    Optical Sensor 006.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Optical Sensor 007.jpg
    Optical Sensor 007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Optical Sensor 005.jpg
    Optical Sensor 005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Optical Sensor 009.jpg
    Optical Sensor 009.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Optical Sensor 010.jpg
    Optical Sensor 010.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Optical Sensor 012.jpg
    Optical Sensor 012.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Optical Sensor 013.jpg
    Optical Sensor 013.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Optical Sensor 016.jpg
    Optical Sensor 016.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Optical Sensor 021.jpg
    Optical Sensor 021.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Optical Sensor 028.jpg
    Optical Sensor 028.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 24
That's really cool, Simon ... I've never seen inside one of those. Thank you!

Yeah, I have to say looking at that cut apart, the slosh around in kerosene trick probably would have done just as good as the terry cloth towel thing we did.

Ours was from testing various bio fuels that some would "muck up" in the IP. We were just changing the sensors at first until the gm guy had us try cleaning them. Cleaning worked a few times, but not often. It's been some time now, but iirc we were able to reuse 3 or 4 that were giving us fits, however 20 or so went in the trash after trying to clean with no luck. Heck, might have been cleaning the disk that done it also. Gotta love that Vegas luck maybe?

Back