• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinion - The 6.5 Diesel Suburban is the greatest vehicle ever made. Discuss.

Same actor different year minis. Bourne Identity they drive a similar mini as Bobby posted a pic of.

I believe he is talking about the original Italian Job with Michael Caine. Not really a very good movie, but it has some of the best car chase scenes ever. Three Mini Cooper S's running all over (I think it was) Turin, Italy. The car chase scenes alone are worth a look if you see it in the channel guide.

Sorry, I think that is a bit of a stretch. It may be the longest running nameplate in automotive history (although were they made continuously, even during WWII?) but the vehicle changed pretty dramatically over the years. I think the VW Beetle is by far the longest running vehicle.

didnt they stop makeing the beetle at some point? like for a few years before the body stlye change?

other scources..

VWs didn't get produced until after WWII, by the british Army, that puts it around 1945.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/history.htm
In 1933, while Dodge was preparing to sell wood bodied wagons to the army, Chevrolet began building an all steel version of the venerable canopy express for the National Guard and the Civilian Conservation Corps. Significantly, the bodies utilized a one piece steel roof, not the fabric covered insert then prevalent. There is evidence that the steel bodied Carryall-Suburban made its appearance for this Government sale, probably in '34. During '33 & '34, Chevy had a station wagon which was a typical "woody" on a car chassis. Bodies for these were supplied by Hercules, but by '37, the car based wagon was carrying a Campbell wood body and the name "Suburban."

http://chevrolet-suburban.info/history/
The Chevrolet Suburban is a large sport utility vehicle from Chevrolet. It is one of the longest-lived automobile nameplates in the United States, dating from 1935.
Many automotive companies in the United States used the "Suburban" name to indicate a windowed, station wagon type body on a commercial frame, including Dodge, Plymouth, Studebaker, Chevrolet, and GMC. With the end of production of the Dodge Town Wagon in 1966, only General Motors continued to manufacture a vehicle branded as a "Suburban", and they were awarded an exclusive trademark on the name in 1988. The Suburban is one of largest SUVs in market; it has three lines of seats and a normal-sized trunk behind them.
Chevrolet began production of its all steel "carryall-suburban" in 1935. GMC brought out its version in 1937. These vehicles were also know as the "Suburban Carryall" until rebranded simply as the "Suburban" in the 1980s with the arrival of the SUV craze.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...ngest-running-nameplate-in-history-16650.html
As it turns 75 years of age, GM's Chevrolet Suburban has become the world's longest running nameplate, despite the fact that it is sold only in the US. What's more impressive is the Suburban has been in production for the last three quarters of a century without taking any breaks.
“Having been a part of our automotive landscape for three-quarters of a century, the Chevrolet Suburban embodies the traits that have come to define the American SUV,” Leslie Kendall, curator of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles said in a statement.

“Its longevity in the marketplace speaks to both the resourcefulness of the original design team and the good judgment of the decision makers at General Motors who knew better than to tamper with a winning idea.”

The Suburban was born way back in the early 1930s, as an all-steel wagon body mounted on a commercial chassis named Carryall (1935). Of
course, back then it was not an SUV, as the segment didn't even exist until the 1980s.

To celebrate the event, Chevrolet will launch a 75th Anniversary Diamond Edition Suburban this summer, in a limited run of 2,570 units (including 350 for Canada and other export markets).

VWs didn't get produced until after WWII, by the british Army, that puts it around 1945.

Actually it was made before the war, see above.
The Chevrolet Suburban is a large sport utility vehicle from Chevrolet. It is one of the longest-lived automobile nameplates in the United States, dating from 1935.
As it turns 75 years of age, GM's Chevrolet Suburban has become the world's longest running nameplate,

I think that is what I said, its the longest running NAMEPLATE, not vehicle.

I'm not saying Wikipedia as correct, but they state the Suburban was not made between 1945-45 (the war years).

nope up to at least 2005 for the beetle. i got a 2005 model sitting in the driveway. its my sisters car.

I stand corrected! You just can't believe anything you read on the internet.:D
I thought I read that it was still made or just stopped in South America somewhere.

How does a thread about the exceptional merits of a diesel suburban go so horribly wrong? Pages of blather about Minis, of all things, and when the dead mini horse was totally flogged out, somebody hauls out the Volkswagen beetle? What's next, a head-to-head comparo (that's not my word, it's PHRs) between the diesel Sub and a VW microbus?
Really, I thought we were going to talk about towing capacity and third row seating.

How does a thread about the exceptional merits of a diesel suburban go so horribly wrong? Pages of blather about Minis, of all things, and when the dead mini horse was totally flogged out, somebody hauls out the Volkswagen beetle? What's next, a head-to-head comparo (that's not my word, it's PHRs) between the diesel Sub and a VW microbus?
Really, I thought we were going to talk about towing capacity and third row seating.

It was meant to be a discussion about other cars as the very first paragraph had this challenge:
It is therefore the opinion, and only the opinion of this writer that no other vehicle can touch it for functionality, power, comfort or fueling options. I hereby challenge any and all comers to locate one vehicle model vehicle better able to fit more situations than a hopped up diesel Burb.

NOt sure, but I was dumb enough to waste 1/2 hour reading it... DOH!

Autopager add on is the balls, just scroll down and it loads the next page...

Wow, I've been trying for days to get bobbiemartins goat, can't believe it took this long!

I still say the only thing a mini is better at than a real automobile is fuel economy. That and a teenage girl can park it at the mall without hitting 3 or more vehicles.

Back