• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinion - The 6.5 Diesel Suburban is the greatest vehicle ever made. Discuss.

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
In 2 days time, I towed 7,000 pounds of potatoes to the food bank, another 3,000 pounds of vegetable oil to a secret veggie location, hauled 5 people comfortably to downhill ski (in good deep fresh powder) all the while doing it all on biofuel I made. It is comfortable, easy and inexpensive to repair, and hauls ass.

It is therefore the opinion, and only the opinion of this writer that no other vehicle can touch it for functionality, power, comfort or fueling options. I hereby challenge any and all comers to locate one vehicle model vehicle better able to fit more situations than a hopped up diesel Burb. GM's reluctance to release a new diesel Suburban is just one more indicator of their ineptitude. On a brighter note...

Happy Easter Everyone!

first to say +1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am the best proof - cannot find replacement to save my life....

I thought a Diesel Sub would be a good idea, then I thought deeper, anyone in the market for a Diesel burban is already likely to purchase a crew cab Duramax, in leu of a Suburban Duramax, if they really need the Suburban they'll buy one, if not there buy a crew cab. A Diesel Suburban would only really solve a problem GM doesnt have, they would only suceed at cutting into the sales of there pick-ups and moving those sales in the Suburban. Honestly if GM felt there was a market for such a vehicle they'd offer it, but with the ever changing emmisons rules and increased cost of the diesel option, you'll see auto manufactor's and consumers in the US continue to make the decision that diesel is no longer a viable option, aslong as the goverment is manipulating it.

The only thing better is a 1996 CCLB running on WVO. Actualy I want a burb real bad. Would love a black 93 w/red int. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring me one.

Everybunny have a good Easter.

I either want a CCLB or a diesel burb. how about both? :thumbsup: With the resale of the 6.5L, you can have your cake and eat it too!

but i have to agree, heavy haul tow rig, and still as comfortable as a yacht... land yacht that is! :cool:

Maybe a 6.5 Tahoe ;) updated with "F" goodies

If GM released the 4.5 DMax you would have seen it in burbs, as it was slated for 1500 pickups.

There are a couple of other diesel SUV's out there. Jeep and Ford both had some diesel stuff. You couldn't keep tires on the Ford and the Jeep wouldn't run for electronic problems.

Stupid simple for the 6.5, yes. Electronic problems - no better than the Jeep. (PMD)

A diesel with a DPF fitted has no business running short trip soccer moms around.

So you are left with the Ford excursion or an older 2006- Duramax crew cab.

The Duramax has the fueling options and will suck your doors off going up a hill TOWING! (I ran B99 on mine and there kits out there to do WVO.) Dodge and Ford will not pass the Chevy so you have the reason they are not being talked about.

Well... I have both a burb AND a Tahoe. My wife asked me "If we needed to get new cars tomorrow, what would you get?"

She was surprised that I sat driving for a moment and said "I really don't know". That's the truth. I don't know what I'd replace them with.

I seem to be terribly opposed to getting anything that runs on gas, so that leaves us with diesel. There is nothing other than perhaps a small Dodge Sprinter van (smallest possible - holds 10 I think) that would be similar to the Burb in passenger capacity. Towing capacity? Hmmm.

For the Tahoe, I suppose I could get a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee, or perhaps a VW Touareg, but the Tahoe is bigger, more spacious, easier to work on...

Boy, that's a tough one.

Yes, I do like my rigs. I do think the electrics on the vehicles are horribly designed and very poorly constructed. (Have you ever seen the electric door lock actuators? Held on with pop rivets? C'mon! I've already replaced 3 out of the 5 on the burb)

-Rob :)

I used to always get excited when a new design/model Chevy truck (I'm pretty diehard Chevy, after all), but 01-02 was the last new bodystyle I can remember liking. And enough time has gone by, and I've gotten older and more set in my grumpy ways, that I finally decided I just don't want a damn new truck. I'm going to keep repairing and restoring my ol' 6.5, because out of the 30 or so vehicles I've owned it has by far been the best. I have flogged it unmercifully and it has never let me down and never backed down from anything I've asked of it. In fact, when I started thinking about replacing it with a crewcab for the growing family, I decided I missed the look of the old bodystyle Chevys and went on a hunt for an 81-91 style. Found an 82 454/th400 crewcab fleetside dually, it's coming along nicely. For short money I will have a vehicle that can take my whole family camping, pull my camper and look much cooler than a new truck. Seriously, if some truck guys like us were at a gas station, who are they going to congregate around, a customized older truck or a new off the shelf truck? The only thing my truck won't do is get good gas mileage, but hey I didn't pay $40,000 for it either. And btw, if I wasn't clear, I'm not replacing the 6.5, I'm keeping it. Because who doesn't need two 6 wheeled one ton daily drivers?
Whew, sorry for the rant. I was actually agreeing with TurboTahoes point about buying something new. There is nothing out there I want new, if I were to win the lottery. I'd get a Camaro of course, but I think I'd pass on a new truck.

I brought home a Jeep Wrangler, just for a toy, the other night. Left my 6.5 with my cousin who needed to borrow it. My 5 y/o lost his mind! Cried for an hour, the whole time I was trying to explain I didn't trade it, and I still have it, but I just let someone borrow it. He wanted me to get it and bring it home right this minute! He loves the truck as much as I do. My kids call it "the Big Bad Supertruck"!

And yes, 6.5 Subs are awesome. I almost bought one a few weeks back, but I had a little trouble justifying three tow rig daily drivers, even to myself!

We had a suburban a few years back. traded for a conversion van,(we have 4 kids) and now the wife actually wants a diesel sub. I almost teared up when she said it! So now I'm online trying to find a 95 with decent miles. They are few, and far between.

I want the 95 because its still OBD 1, and I just got Scan Tech. And the 95 has the nicer interior. Compared to my 94 that is.

i love the diesel burbs especialy the OBS but i do like the newer ones as well one day i will have one. probly around the time i start having a family (dont plan on that for a while)

Application application application.
If you want commuter mileage, TDI cars which the kids use to commute the 50 plus miles round trip to school with.
If you want speed and mileage then the Audi A-4 wagon works nicely on the autobahn and pisses the #$%^ out of MB AMGs at the line when you catch them unawares (feel free to ask me how I know this).
For Hauling a$$ bigger than mine, the trucks will do nicely.
For most of all the above, yeah, I'm looking at subs too with the wife drumming her fingers. She's got her heart set on the new VW Sportwagons....oh well, life is good.

the wagons haul ass, ive been on the autobahn and they are the fastest vehicles on the road. Or at least the only ones that would drive faster than me.

Back