• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinion on filters

truckie481

Dagum
Reaction score
I'm finding a bunch of different name brands for fuel, tranny and air filters. My question is this : Should I avoid a certain brand or are they all equal?

heard bad things about frams but no personal experience. i use carquest for all mine because they will take care of me if a filter fails and does damage.

You didn't ask about oil but I always use OEM for it. There are other good ones. NEVER FRAM!
Fuel: ParkerRacor (maker of the OEM one)
Trans: Allison only
Air: OEM (made by Donaldson)

RACOR for the fuel as it is the only 2 stage media filter as far as I know, and I use STP oil filters as they have worked the best for me over the years. Avoid FRAM filters like they are the plague at all costs. Also I've had problems with BOSCH oil filters and PUROLATER both collapsing and losing oil pressure before. CARQUEST filters are made by WIX if you get there premium filters which is the same as NAPA GOLD. ALLISON for the trans as some of the aftermarket filters will thread on, but WILL restrict fluid flow as they are not designed for the filter magnet.

NO FRAM.....I have completely different setups now with mine. I run a Cat 2 micron and a 1 micron in place of the OEM filter.

Thanks for the replies, I have been using OEM for air and tranny up till now. I use Amsoil for the oil and oil filter. I am switching to Amsoil in the tranny and it looks like I will stay with the Ally filter. Fuel filter I'm sttill undecided.

AC Delco for the oil and fuel filter. Allison only for the tranny.

PARKER/RACOR makes the fuel filters for ACDELCO, and you can buy them for less.

Thanks for the replies, I have been using OEM for air and tranny up till now. I use Amsoil for the oil and oil filter. I am switching to Amsoil in the tranny and it looks like I will stay with the Ally filter. Fuel filter I'm sttill undecided.

GM buys the trans filters from ALLISON, they just special order them with the ALLISON markings on them. Then they charge a small fortune for them when you can buy the same filter from ALLISON for $8-9.

I use AC delco (for oil) when Wally world has em in stock or Wix. I found a allison dealer about 40 miles from me - got to check their prices for the tranny filter. I was at the stealership yesterday (I've got a buddy that's the parts manager there - gets me a pretty decent discount on most things - like injectors - cheapest I've found so far....but while I was there picking up some minor things (LT badge fell off passenger side) replaced it for $10.00. Weather strip on leading edge of RR door ($17.00). I figured while I was there I would price the tranny filter - $52.00 retail :eek: !! and "my special price" lol was $28.00 - :nono:. I told him that blue GM paint color must be really expensive and that he could put it back on the shelf.

If anyone finds anything they wish me to add, please feel free to let me know, and I will update the list. If there is anything incorrect, please let me know also, and i will correct it. Just trying to make a good reference to print off if necessary.

I avoid Fram at all costs, and have been running baldwin, but they are starting to outsource some, so i have switched to Wix, whick is still mostly US built (a few air filters i have got are mexico, but so far nothing else)

I get them at the local bumper to bumper store. I try to do filter shopping once a year, which so happens to be the week of the up to 80 percent off sale (6.5L fuel filters under 20 bucks, etc) and try to hit the one day of the sale that they have a free lunch!

Back