• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

one lifter making noise

Also something to note. where did you purchase the tester from? if it's china made (many are sold on ebay and amazon) the gauge might not be accurate. you might look into replacing the gauge with a known accurate one from a hydraulic shop or at least have yours tested to see if it's accurate. But the trouble you might run into if it's china made is the threads on the gauge and fittings might be metric or British standard thread, both are very different than normal SAE thread.

Yep, the gauge says zero but I used a paper just in case...

The tester setup is from India - I put the manual up with a test video so we can see if it all works. Umm, I do not know who made the video - I don't think they had enough hands I will have to get help from She Who Must Be Obeyed :)

The manual for how the pump works.

A link to the test video to see if it can be had from here!

Yep, the gauge says zero but I used a paper just in case...

The tester setup is from India - I put the manual up with a test video so we can see if it all works. Umm, I do not know who made the video - I don't think they had enough hands I will have to get help from She Who Must Be Obeyed :)

The manual for how the pump works.

A link to the test video to see if it can be had from here!

Couldnt get it to play 😧

Depending on the browser being used the file is handled a little differently.

Most of the time the file will be downloaded to your machine and will play with an application on your machine. The browser should ask you what to do with the file.

The Brave browser will only download it. Then it must be played in a video application on my computer.

seamonkey asks what to do and then downloads and plays the file.

Firefox says its a security risk and you have to give it permission to download.

Other browsers may act differently but should be similar. The above are the only browsers I have on my computer.

Most browsers will open the .PDF file - it may download first.

Its been a long time since I built a web page and all my software tools are gone. I am not sure I remember how to embed a video in a page and get it to play on line.... I will take a look.

Sorry about that, I don't have a Utube account or any other of that type... The links posted do work as described, The Truck Stop is good about letting links exist!

One thing about the 'net - its always changing. I will check some sites and see if I can get on one without my life history, picture, and first born required to sign up!

the video played for me. on the pressure, it looked like the injector was releasing at around 1800-1900 it was hard to tell but I believe 1950 is standard for these injectors. I only caught a glimpse of the spray pattern. the video was frozen for the first 10 seconds or so. most likely my browser and it's ad blockers I have (firefox under linux)

yeah, I downloaded the mp4 file and played it with VLC and there isn't any video until 7 seconds into it though I can hear the sound. might be something with the conversion. went back and tried the AVI one you posted before and it played fine.

Looks like it’s working ok. How good- really need to get better gauge to record it. Having all 8 injectors pop within 25psi of each other is a huge key to balancing the power of the engine for efficiency gains in both mpg and power. Obviously keeping equal load on the engine makes it last a longer life as well.

Back to the engine running properly or not- are you going to just rebuild 8 and install them then hope that fixes it?

I have unanswered questions about the leak off and even more questions about the quality of the replacement parts. Maybe I will know more after I run the tests again.

Bear in mind the china nozzle injectors I am testing failed to last even one tank of fuel in the engine. I cleaned them up before testing I do not think I want to try them again and expect different results. (some were 'sticky' even after cleaning and lubricating.) Several were packed with carbon. I did not run them through the Ultrasonic cleaner because I am not putting them in the engine again. They were clean enough to get a good test. Though they do test better than the originals, just not long lasting enough!

It really bothers me that the brand new AC Delco injectors seem to act the same way. I been using the truck to get firewood and it has been running fine - no injector knock at all, I can detect. But it still puts out a puff of dark smoke when starting the first time in the morning, no smoke after that.

I wonder if some of the new AC inj. issue could be due to left over carbon in the cyl's because of the china nozzles leaking off to fast.? Or maybe the AC inj. were built with china quality nozzles. I will go get a load of gravel at the quarry and check my mileage - if all remains quiet and the mpg has improved I might just run it awhile and see what happens.

End result I think will involve a diesel shop that has been around for years! Probably more than one shop.

Problem is every diesel shop will tell you they can fix it because they want the money.
But darn few actually understand how to work on this unusual engine.

If all the injectors are having problems- maybe it’s not the injector as the root cause.

Soot is caused by poor quality fuel, over fueling, timing off, low compression, bad injection, or ironically too much soot build up already.

Disconnecting the pipe away from the muffler/soot trap/cat -
Then misting in water while engine is running 2,000 rpm will clean off all the carbon from pistons, valves, injectors, turbine. I do this to almost every engine I own over 100,000 miles. But I would not do it until you swap the bad injector with a good one from a different cylinder and track if the problem follows the injector or if it stays with the cylinder. You might have a small hole in a piston you are at the beginning styes of fighting. Either you do the proper diagnostics, or keep guessing and firing the parts cannon.

I'm with Will here, I was thinking the same thing as both the injectors you installed were badly carboned up in a short time, maybe there is a timing issue. follow through with the diagnosis and see where you end up.

Of the original injectors - none as in zero had carbon on the inside of the injector (some on the washer but none anywhere else in the injector) This only appeared on 3 of the new china nozzles the rest did not have carbon, but as in the video the pintle would hang up and be hard to remove. None of the china nozzles did this before I installed them in the injector bodies, they were all smooth all the way in and all the way out. Even the china nozzles with no carbon build-up would hang up and not slide evenly all the way in or out. All but one of the original German nozzles slide all the way out and all the way in - very smooth. And the one slightly sticky original German is better than the best china nozzle. (the original German pintle only hangs up just as it clears the nozzle body)

The leak down video shows (kinda) when I try to hold the pressure just below pop off - the handle is going down all the time. When it reaches the bottom of the stroke then the pressure starts to drop. None of the injectors (original or china) seem to hold pressure until its very low on the gauge. From the instruction above it should hold pressure for 10 seconds....

My next step is, pull one of the AC Delco inj out of the engine and test that one. - I see the same AC part # online for about $35 - I might get one to use for a benchmark test. You can see in the image below the edge of one of the original German nozzles it is discolored but no carbon.

ChinaCarbon.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality video, you probably want the sound turned down some. ;-]

Do not get the ac delco ones online without calling ac delco tech line to verify that is a real dealer. When I had problems with Delco stuff I called them and found out my stuff was fake- chinese made knock offs. This is a massive problem they and others are fighting. Best is going to a brick and mortar authorized dealer and ordering it (if not in stock).

For ten bucks an injector, I said screw it and paid the flat rate postage to get the injectors over to an authorized Stanadyne technician. He tested the injectors anf he must have quite an array of shims. Every injector was popping at precisely 1950 pounds of pressure.
With accuracy like that I will never waste my time and energy to ever attempt balancing another set of injectors. I wll check them upon their return just so I can admire what a good job he did.

Hmmmm, getting verified AC Delco sounds like excellent advise! That makes me wonder where the shop acquired the AC inj. in the engine now... I will check on that! ==== Right, the shop got the AC inj. from the local GM dealer in town. Now I wonder where the dealer got 'em.... guess they rate a call also! I called GM - they have no record of the sale.... ***

It is difficult to get good readings due to the fast leak off of pressure. All the time I attempt to get a reading the handle is going down - as soon as it reaches bottom the pressure drops right away as you can see. I do have an oil filled gauge I can put on the tester if that might help.
All of the inj. leak off fast - not even one holds pressure??? Perhaps I need to sacrifice an old inj. line and crimp it really hard and see if that holds pressure. At least that should verify the pump is not leaking back. Though it does pump up to pressure.....

After verify a good pump I guess I will take the top off the engine and check the installed injectors. So much for getting the work done so I don't have to. ;-]

It was 20 degrees last night, not very warm right now!

Back