• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

On the subject of fuel -- Aux fuel tank/ bigger for a Burb

C&C's come with a rear tank that fits up where a spare tire would go I would think. I would think it would fit other trucks. Its 18 gallon I think?? Front 22, rear 18 IIRC.

the only issue I see with that matt is that the chassis cabs are the narrow, parallel 34 inch spaced rails. The pickups have the weird slanted rails that the burbs have as well. But it may be still worth a shot to look into it. plus, the rear tanks are poly, for those looking to get away from steel.

on the gallons, you are correct, they are 22 and 18 gallons, front and rear, respectively.

you remind me something that I had brainstormed a while back, as annoying as our balance modules are, wouldnt it still be cool to wire in and set up the fuel transfer system from a chassis cab on a pickup with the oem tank and the suburban tank? 76 gallons on board that you dont have to remember to hit a toggle!

honestly, I would probably rig up a toggle to run the pump. does anyone know how a GM lift pump is affected by being ran empty? that would be the only downside, not knowing the level of the system.

I guess so that I am off topic, I better mention that there is an auto transfer fuel systems on the chassis cab from 96 and newer, for any burb guys wanting to add a tank but are uncertain of how to plub it!

Takes a long time to xfer fuel with a GM pump 28 gph with a new healthy one running at spec; less than that I'm sure with some wear, it's a shuttle/plunger pump with some rubber checks in it so limited dry running doesn't hurt it much if any, the installed float could be wired to a gauge mounted remotely easily enough simpler circuit X ohms full to empty it's in the manual I'll have to look it up

What I gathered is that with the Burb I am pretty mush sh&t out of luck.. if I want a bigger tank or an aux tank underneath. I do not want to put any fuel inside the Burb, just looking to see if something like what Titan makes was available for a burb

Another crazy idea for you

You could contact Frybrid in Seattle and ask Chris Goodwin if he'd sell you just a Suburban tank that he builds for WVO, not the entire kit. Mine mounts to the frame, right under the driver's side passenger, and it's sweet, aluminum, baffled and holds 26 gallons. Designed for veggie, but would certainly work great for diesel.

www.frybrid.com

Good luck.

I have a 2nd tank under my Suburban. The stock 42 gallon is for wvo, and we added a tank that fits under the left side of the frame for diesel. If I remember correctly it's 19 gallons. Fits fine, but not sure that is enough to make the range difference you are looking for. Maybe Frybrid's 26 will do the trick for you, I'm sure it's the same idea/location as mine.

Veg-out,

Thanks, I will try and contact Frybrid, however when checking out the web site he is very specific about not selling tanks without the kits :)

Dave01,

Well an extra 19 gallons will give about 750 miles @ 15 mpg with a 7 gallon (US) reserve.. Not bad really, very workable. How do you fill the extra tank ? Any filters ??

Thanks

TG

The guy that did the install did a very clever job of putting 2 fuel fills behind the stock fuel fill cover. I'll see him tomorrow, try to get the details on the tank and take a pic of the fuel fill for you.

Only filter is the stock under-hood filter manager. No fuel sock, just an open pickup.

Yeah , that would be 900 miles @ 15 mpg with an 8 gallon reserve.. Sure would love to see the pics .. Plus it will add a little bit of weight in the back,, which not a bad thing.. The dual fuel fills is indeed clever, nice and stock looking.

I spoke to the guy that did the 2nd tank install for me. He said it's a standard GM saddle tank, he thought model 1B but wasn't sure. He said to get the tank, mounting clamps, and sender and the install was easy, fit fine. He also said there's a 6 way Pollak valve that would, with one dash switch, switch the fuel feed and returns plus swap the gauge signal to keep things simple.

The dual fill I have is neat. You have to go slow with the saddle tank fill, it backs up the fill tube if you try to go too fast, but with the fill handle on first click it fills fine and doesn't take long, I generally am only putting in 14-16 gallons.

Thanks Dave01,

I believe that the GM is an 19 gallon tank , which does the trick. If I can start shopping around for those . I would think a bit about the pollack valve since I will running diesel in both. But great starting point..

tks
TG

Back