• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ok, so let us start modding - the goal being MP and longevity first and foremost....

VW_Lupo_TD

Reaction score
i still have not fixed the damn leak since the new cab lights and gaskets did not take care of it
(the windshield needs to be resealed - AGAIN) but i might need the truck sooner than later
and have to achieve better MPG -> that means the usual crap - to fix what the factory did wrong ;-)

the correct mapping via tuner and better intake and exhaust,
since i am limited with that on the kodiak we will start with the tuner and EGT and boost gauge.

i was thinking Banks economind with the iQ display - opinions, feedback, alternatives please.

thanks !!

chevy_econo_0104_lb7.jpg

i still have not fixed the damn leak since the new cab lights and gaskets did not take care of it
(the windshield needs to be resealed - AGAIN) but i might need the truck sooner than later
and have to achieve better MPG -> that means the usual crap - to fix what the factory did wrong ;-)

the correct mapping via tuner and better intake and exhaust,
since i am limited with that on the kodiak we will start with the tuner and EGT and boost gauge.

i was thinking Banks economind with the iQ display - opinions, feedback, alternatives please.

thanks !!

View attachment 32116

Just as Tanner said..

Skip the banks. Go with a EFILive combo and be done with it. You can actually buy a Pre-Tuned ECM with a switch for $575 from Henry (Creatures of the Night Performance).

Just as Tanner said..

Skip the banks. Go with a EFILive combo and be done with it. You can actually buy a Pre-Tuned ECM with a switch for $575 from Henry (Creatures of the Night Performance).

ok, i looked on the EFi live website briefly - am i correct with the assumption that EFI live only supplies with with means of interfacing with my ECM etc. and i will need a third party to tune everything for me ?
in that case it only makes sense if i get something pre-tuned, i need a plug and play solution.....

who else sells something like that pre tuned and is there an econominded tune(R) out there ?

ok, i looked on the EFi live website briefly - am i correct with the assumption that EFI live only supplies with with means of interfacing with my ECM etc. and i will need a third party to tune everything for me ?
in that case it only makes sense if i get something pre-tuned, i need a plug and play solution.....

It is if you go that route. They send (or anyone you choose to buy it from) a whole ECM and all you do is simply plug it in and send yours back.

If you would prefer a different method, they make an autocal unit that is just like a handheld that allows you to load EFILive tunes as you would any flash programmer. In in the end, it all depends on what you want.

You can also get multiple tunes with EFI Live. Econ, towing, HP, Race, smoke, lope, basically you name it some one can load the tunes for you. I'm not sure but on an LB7 they might be able to load the programs on the Edge Insite (sorry I am partial to the insite)

i am almost close to my second oil change and need to get on this !
looking for paul's number so i can call him tomorrow ;)

looking for "tuners" in my area and or will just call someone tomorrow with CC in hand to send me everything i need.....

If you buy EFILIVE, I will build you a tune for it. Unfortunately there isn't alot you can do for an LB7 for milage, but I can make it a bit peppier an help it a bit. For a MD there isn't alot of options available either other than custom tuning via either the V2($899) or the AUTOCAL(roughly $599 from most tuners now). If you want a pretuned set-up though for less money, call Tony at RIDGERUNNER diesel. He is running a summer sale right now I believe, and his tuning is top notch. As for creatures of the night, I would stay away from him right now as he is having a falling out with his tuner(again). And I'm not a fan of nick at duramaxtuner from the way he has handled some business in the past. Idaho rob at ATP is also pretty good at tuning as well. And for guages, I would go with a set of actual guages or an EDGE insight. I'm not real familiar with the KODIAK LB7 intake, so I can't tll you if it needs updating or not, but a good exhaust(4" downpipe back style) is always a good idea.

and of course an exhaust will have to be custom made since the usual suspects in the aftermarket scene are not making any, correct ?

i was just on the duramaxtuner.com site and was about to call him in the AM and am ready to just have someone overnight me an ECM ready to plug and play.
just been too busy to take care of this and now of course i need it tomorrow ;-)

i am running to KC on sunday morning - i know i am way too late.

checking out http://www.ridgerunnerdieselperformance.com/
and the other recommendations.....

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=145&pvk=405

Personally I would deal with RIDGERUNNER, and avoid duramaxtuner myself. tony still deals with the DURAMAX only I believe, and his tunes are great to say the least. To many complaints here lately from some of the others since they branched out into doing CUMMINS tuning as well.

Check here for exhaust,Last one I got was like $300 for a turbo back.

performancetruckproducts.com

Whats up with duramax tuner(nick)?when I was trying to figure out efilive,he was pretty helpfull.When I got mine I bought access to his tune library. Very helpfull for a beginner,I still use some of his tunes.I have not needed anything for a few yrs,but he used to be pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock 3.5" exhaust on th DURAMAX isn't that bad, but the muffler is pretty restrictive. If your on a budget just get a 3.5" straight through muffler and put on it, and if it has a cat ditch it.

not ditching the cat, but open to suggestions on mufflers.
is that all i need to look for ? 3.5" in and outlet ? i need a length or course.
point me in a direction if you may.
much obliged.

The cat is your biggest restriction in the exhaust if it has one in it(most LB7's do not have a cat). As for a muffler, you will have to measure the length of yours as I have no idea how big the KODIAK one is.

Back