• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OK. Need help. Swapping a TH400 out and NV4500 in OBS truck.

I have 2 on CL that I am looking at.

One guy will take $500 for a low mile 6.5 and all bolt ons + nv 4500 + all clutch pedals and what not + pto hydraulic pump.

The other is a nv 4500 + BW T-case for $800

Wonder whats the better deal? I need a t-case though and whos to say that what I buy isnt fried too?

Only if you rebuild yours first and do a good write up...I'm scared...:rof:
NV4500.com has a bunch of stuff too. I got the video and manual from Quad 4x4. Gonna try to watch it this weekend. Third is definitely gone. I got the air out of the clutch better but shifting from 4 back to 3 is near impossible.

I'm scared too.... :yikes: but I dont need the truck anytime soon (it hasnt moved w/o the use of a chain in 6 years) so if I do tear into before you do yours I will be sure and do the best write up I can and take plenty of pictures ( i even bought a camera).

I will also be tearing into a T-Case, pretty sure it has a BW and just has shift fork problems. But i will take pictures of that too.

I think the t-case and tranny combo is robbery but the other with the engine and tranny sounds like a winner to me. He said I could take the whole truck but its a 14ft HD if it was a 10ft I would have dropped everything to get it. No title though, he bought it purely for the bed.

that HD sounds like exactly what I need. can the title be had? remember, the 3500HD specific NV4500LD has the tailshaft housing for the driveline mounted parking brake, so it is different, and I assume that the mainshaft is different as well.

that HD sounds like exactly what I need. can the title be had? remember, the 3500HD specific NV4500LD has the tailshaft housing for the driveline mounted parking brake, so it is different, and I assume that the mainshaft is different as well.

He said he got it at an auction but talked to the previous owner at the auction and got some info. He is not interested in tracking downthe title but a rebuilt title could be had i think. The body is trashed from what i was told but you might have another one to swap onto it. It is a high mile truck with a different engine and tranny dropped in but never hooked up.

There is a Crew Cab HD with no compression in 2 cylinders in the area too. Havent called but the pic of the body looks good. Doesnt say any of the specs beside its a diesel.

I wanted the NV4500 for my 81 Chevy turbo 6.2 2wd project and a spare 6.5 is never a bad thing.

well, the junk body and the title issue pretty well write it off for me. make sure and get the powertrain though! the PTO sounds like it would be good property. if you end up not needing the 3500HD NV4500LD or the PTO, send me a PM

EDIT: after re-reading your post, it sounds like it may not be the HD tailshaft brake version anyhow. offer still stands though!

Found a guy selling a used NV4500 93-95 model. 720$ shipped , no core 14day warranty. The thing I like is the no core so if the tranny turns out to be good I can take my time and rebuild my old one for the CUCV. Course buyin used from across the internet has it's risks as well. So Gasser and diesel had same NV4500 93-95 ?

Thanks, I have seen that but it's fuzzy about the difference between a gasser version and diesel. it makes reference to 10 spline input shaft for gasser. I have an old clutch in the barn. I should see what spline it was but I discovered something else today that has me confused. My truck has an external Slave. Are the 94+ internal ? Does that make any difference if a 94 up is used with an external setup ? I found a reman NV4500 for 1100$ on LOng Island but it's a 2001 model year and may have the internal slave. Does that make any difference in using it with my truck ? Damn I'm confused.

By looking at the LMC catalog there is two different clutch slave cylinder, 92 - 95 and 96 - 98. It seems in 96 - 98 is were they gave a choice of single or dual mass clutch. Maybe that is were the two different slave cylinder came in? :???:

Here is a pic from and old catalog:

clutch slave.jpg

Thanks, I have seen that but it's fuzzy about the difference between a gasser version and diesel. it makes reference to 10 spline input shaft for gasser. I have an old clutch in the barn. I should see what spline it was but I discovered something else today that has me confused. My truck has an external Slave. Are the 94+ internal ? Does that make any difference if a 94 up is used with an external setup ? I found a reman NV4500 for 1100$ on LOng Island but it's a 2001 model year and may have the internal slave. Does that make any difference in using it with my truck ? Damn I'm confused.

As far as the input shaft the input shaft on my SM465 is a 10 spline 1 1/8 diameter shaft as well. GM used that input shaft on pretty much all of their truck manual transmissions. I'd bet that it's the 10 spline 1 1/8 diameter shaft.

If it ever stops raining, I'll go out to the shed and look. You get hammered down there dave ? The radar looked bad for your end of the state.

If it ever stops raining, I'll go out to the shed and look. You get hammered down there dave ? The radar looked bad for your end of the state.

Holy crap. We got slammed like i couldn't believe. I was out doing deliveries for work when i got caught in the middle of it. Before it started coming down like crazy you'd have though it was 8PM and it was just touching 5:00. The skies had this evil blackness to them and you coudl see the the skies were alive with lightning. Roughly a huge purple bolt a second.

Once it started coming down I couldn't see the damn road. The roads were all underwater and the edges of the roads were rivers several inches deep, and this was on Route 1. Side roads must've been so much worse.

Trees down from the wind and ridiculous lightning, some of it way too close for comfort. It stopped raining about 4-5 hours ago, but still having occasional lightning flashes although no thunder so it's pretty far away.

Temp dropped by 25 degrees in the first hour of rain. It was in the 90s all day here and right now it's about 70 but still muggy as hell. Supposed to have spotty medium to heavy t-storms for the next 2-3 days....joy. :prrr:

NV4500 will bolt up to pretty much any GM pickup motor, it's standardized like all the other manuals and autos.

The difference in the slave cylinders are the pre 95 slaves are external and the 96+ ones are internal. The clutch master cylinders are slightly different as well. 95 transmissions are an odd year with the external slave and higher ratios.

You can use either, you just need the compatible lines for them. The external slave in my 88 (trans is a 94) runs across the firewall to the pass side, while the one in the 99 goes down and enters in the driver's side of the bellhousing.

92-94 are low ratio, external slave, bottleneck shift tower
95 is high ratio, external slave, bolt on shift tower
96+ is high ratio, internal slave, bolt on shift tower.

You can use either style in your truck, you just need the correct line to whichever slave cylinder you have. I know you can also swap inputs and stuff to keep external on a newer NV4500, but it takes a bit more work from what i've heard.

Thanks, I got a better idea. I'm leaning towards taking a crapshoot on that used one. Then I still have my old one for future rebuild.

IMO the older lower geared one is more desirable in resale anyway. Many offroaders like them for the low gearing, I know I do.

They typically go for $1,000+ used here.

Back