• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OK. Need help. Swapping a TH400 out and NV4500 in OBS truck.

and dodge is mildly crazy on price, compared to batshit insanity at the GM dealer (about 15-18 bucks at dodge, 25 at GM last check. your results may vary!)

or old fluid. some of the stuff we drained was in pretty nasty shape on the 98, but it could be new fluid loaded up with synchro material... either way, doesnt sound spectacular.

How hard is pulling the tranny on a NBS truck ? It looks tight with the torsion bar crossover. can it be removed without screwing with the torsion bars ? I forgot to really look and see if the floor pan comes out like on OBS truck.

Uh, I think you have things mixed up on OBS and NBS. Traditionally OBS = 88-98 and NBS = 99-06, but there are many years of overlap.

it's better to use the GM platform designations as it accurately describes the truck independent of the year:
Squarebody: 73-91
GMT400: 88-02
GMT800: 99-07
GMT900: 07-Current

Anyway, I'm assuming you are talking about the NBS truck as your 93 right? The trans is pretty darn easy to get out IMO. The trans tunnel doesn't unbolt however, like the older squarebodies. The trans can come out without removing the torsion bars, however it's much easier with them and their crossmember removed. You can easily remove the torsion bars by jacking up on the lower A arm, removing the adjuster bolt and crossbar, then slowly lowing the torsion bar pressure by lowering the jack.

Uh, I think you have things mixed up on OBS and NBS. Traditionally OBS = 88-98 and NBS = 99-06, but there are many years of overlap.

it's better to use the GM platform designations as it accurately describes the truck independent of the year:
Squarebody: 73-91
GMT400: 88-02
GMT800: 99-07
GMT900: 07-Current

Anyway, I'm assuming you are talking about the NBS truck as your 93 right? The trans is pretty darn easy to get out IMO. The trans tunnel doesn't unbolt however, like the older squarebodies. The trans can come out without removing the torsion bars, however it's much easier with them and their crossmember removed. You can easily remove the torsion bars by jacking up on the lower A arm, removing the adjuster bolt and crossbar, then slowly lowing the torsion bar pressure by lowering the jack.
Suppose it depends on what forum. In the 6.2 Forum at Dp OBS is square and NBS is 88+(except for K5 and K30). Think it ended up that way because 6.2s were in both body styles.

I've never head it used that way on any forum personally. That is why it's more accurate to use the platform designations instead of acronyms :D Oh, and any squarebody vehicle 88-91 used the designations R and V (2wd and 4wd) while the new GMT400 trucks used the C and K. Those were weren't just limited to blazer/jimmy and 1-ton trucks, There were still 1/2ton, 3/4ton in the suburbans so the R-V designation carried all three weight ratings.

Oh, and any squarebody vehicle 88-91 used the designations R and V (2wd and 4wd) while the new GMT400 trucks used the C and K. Those were weren't just limited to blazer/jimmy and 1-ton trucks, There were still 1/2ton, 3/4ton in the suburbans so the R-V designation carried all three weight ratings.
My 86 is a K30. K and c was used since the 70's on pickups and Blazers.

Yes, that is correct. What i'm saying is the squarebody trucks used C/K from essentially 73-87, then in 88-91 they used R/V because the GMT400 took over the C/K designation.

Where can you get a rebuild kit for an NV4500, it doesnt look like 4wheeloffroad has one, just the manuals. I have a tranny with atleast 2 synchros gone for 2nd and 3rd and want to get it fixed. Its in my 94 so low 1st and rev IIRC

I dont mean to hijack the thread but it pertains to your problems if you have to rebuild like you are thinking.

Where can you get a rebuild kit for an NV4500, it doesnt look like 4wheeloffroad has one, just the manuals. I have a tranny with atleast 2 synchros gone for 2nd and 3rd and want to get it fixed. Its in my 94 so low 1st and rev IIRC

I dont mean to hijack the thread but it pertains to your problems if you have to rebuild like you are thinking.
Only if you rebuild yours first and do a good write up...I'm scared...:rof:
NV4500.com has a bunch of stuff too. I got the video and manual from Quad 4x4. Gonna try to watch it this weekend. Third is definitely gone. I got the air out of the clutch better but shifting from 4 back to 3 is near impossible.

BTW saw a 1500 series gasser in the juunky today with a 5 spd but it was integral bellhousing and aluminum. What tranny is that ? The getrag ? Are they any good ?

Depends on year, but it's a Getrag or NV3500. Getrag is earlier, NV4500 started early-mid 90s IIRC. I wouldn't put either behind a 6.5L, they aren't designed for it.

Tell ya this, used NV4500's are extinct right now. The only way to get one is buy a reman and eat the core which is pretty hefty. Dodge ones seem to be abundant. wonder what the differences are.

Tell ya this, used NV4500's are extinct right now. The only way to get one is buy a reman and eat the core which is pretty hefty. Dodge ones seem to be abundant. wonder what the differences are.
I got one sitting here,good tranny,just needs the input shaft tip welded up and turned back to size.

yeah but "here" is pretty far...:D Shipping alone would probably cost over 600$ I'd think. If not more. Too bad, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm looking for one for the CUCV since I did not cut up the 93.

Back