• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ok down to brass tacks with the "lift pump" thing..

great white

Reaction score
Been fishing around for a lift pump solution for my 98 6.5 TD. It will be a custom install, so all I need is a good quality pump.

So here's the bottom line:

I've got about 300 bucks to spend, maybe a scootch more.

Preferably, that including shipping.

Looking for 60-100 gph (most really good ones seem to be 95-100), good PSI stability in the 8-12 psi range, internally regulated and adjustable, flow through design (although not critical) and 1/2 ports on the pump.

Of course, longevity is also a factor.

What's my best value for my dollar?

or am I looking for a unicorn?

How much power you running, a Heath h/o is a direct plug/play and works for most 6.5 guys, and worked for me 95% of the time.

Whatever you choose you need to do a FTB, I'd start there 1st, then see if you need a bigger lift after that,

Twin OEM or Heath in parallel would work also, used Cummins in parallel with OEM would also work, you don't need 60+ gph, you'll be challenged to use 45 gph

OEM is 28 gph, if that is meeting majority of the delivery need anything above that is more than you had, Walbro is 45 gph

Oh BTW I don't own any shares of Walbro :D, it just works for me, it is a common enough pump if it fails I can get parts for it.

I am the only one in the world who apparently had a failed Walbro. There are only THREE parts inside that can fail, which is the beauty of the design.

Walbro's cust service was TOP NOTCH, not only did they repair my faulty pump, but also sent me a 'custom' pump in the same box that was OVERNIGHTED (50$ shipping on their part)...

Can't beat that service.... Thus the reason why I have 2 Walbro's.

Also talking to them earlier about lower than average pressure, they mailed me some different springs to try to get more pressure...

I am the only one in the world who apparently had a failed Walbro. There are only THREE parts inside that can fail, which is the beauty of the design.

Walbro's cust service was TOP NOTCH, not only did they repair my faulty pump, but also sent me a 'custom' pump in the same box that was OVERNIGHTED (50$ shipping on their part)...

Can't beat that service.... Thus the reason why I have 2 Walbro's.

Also talking to them earlier about lower than average pressure, they mailed me some different springs to try to get more pressure...

Springs?

Are they diaphram or is that for a bypass valve?

For that matter, what kind of pump is the walbro?

Diaphragm/gerotor/vane/etc?

Reciprocating pump. Electromagnet style. THe spring will push the magnet apart, and the sliding 'pump' will bounce up and down until the pressure is too much for the spring to overcome it.

I had detailed pix in one of my old walbro install threads... I'll try to find it......

going with the raptor 100.

Just shopping for best price...

;)

By far seems like the best choice. As you can see by that thread above, I wasn't too impressed with the Walbro.

I am happy with the 2 walbros, but thats just silly, and not sure what it does at WOT as I feather the throttle at all times.

PM Cumminalong. He can get great prices on them and if you want the whole kit with relays and wiring to directly plug into a 6.5TD truck, they do make it. Comes with fittings wiring relays etc. Also solves the OPS problem on these trucks. When funds allow I'm gonna get one for the Dually from Rich. Also the Raptor has a lifetime warranty but DON"T FORGET to mail the card in.

BTW, I have a Raptor on my CUCV and it works awesome, you can dial any pressue you want and the thing looks like a garden hose spewing fuel out so fast. Did I mention it sounds really cool too ??? That sound adds 30hp alone....:rofl:

I've been running a Raptor for about 2 months now, really like it. Dead steady on 8-10 psi all the time, floor it and it may drop to 7 psi or not at all. Probably overkill but I'm running it because of my veg system, wanted steadier pressure and stronger pump on veg.

Back