• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil leak

3bals

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to replace the fuel filter because it had been leaking. I thought the fuel leak was washing oil residue off the back of the engine. The drippings were black, but smelled like fuel. After the filter replacement, I started it to check for fuel leaks, but saw oil dripping from above. It looked like it was coming from the OPS extension hose. I wrapped a paper towel around it and ran the engine for awhile, keeping a constant eye on the oil pressure. After the test run, the paper towel was soaked.

The reason for the hose in the first place is to facilitate easier replacement of the OPS, which is known to fail occasionally. Now the question is: do I need to remove the intake to make this repair? I put the hose on the last time I replaced the IP, so the intake was off then.
ops oil leak.jpg

I installed mine with the intake on and it was agrivating but can be done.

Is the hose itself leaking or are the crimps leaking

We have two of those locally, but I figured it was the right type of hose, given where I got it.

Did it chafe through from vibration? I had that happen with my first set of oil cooler lines. It didn't even look that bad on the outside. It's like chafing vibration can sorta penetrate a hose internally too. Maybe a steel braid pin holed mine they were the stiff high temp stainless steel jacketed lines.

Have you ever heard of a plumbers wrench? It's for reaching up to sink faucet connections from the bottom. Worked great for replacing that sensor without removing the intake.

possum owe you a beer..I own 2 basin wrench's and NEVER thought about using one to do stuff on my truck..can use it to snug up the braided oil cooler lines where they hit the filter housing..had a hell of a time getting to them with a regular wrench.. awesome tip my friend

possum owe you a beer..I own 2 basin wrench's and NEVER thought about using one to do stuff on my truck..can use it to snug up the braided oil cooler lines where they hit the filter housing..had a hell of a time getting to them with a regular wrench.. awesome tip my friend
They definitely come in handy for other things.

Well, I finally got the leaky hose off using a basin wrench. It worked, but I'm wondering what it will be like replacing it? It was leaking in the middle of the hose, no rub marks that I could see.

Attachments

• ops hose.jpg
    ops hose.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 8
Back