• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil leak

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I have had an oil leak for quite a while now. Originally it looked like it was comming from the oil cooler/lines. In the past week or 2 it has gotten worse. The only things that have changed is new rebuilt injectors from Diesel Pro, new fuel filter, LP, and fuel sending unit. The injectors don't look like they are leaking although the drips are coming off the passenger side of the motor dripping of the motor mounts. My T valve if not over tightend will leak a bit but i moved the hose to the driver side just to see if I see anything there and nothing yet. I put a piece of cardboard down and the incline of my drive way causes it to run down the cardboard. It is thicker than diesel but it appears to be thinner than oil, however when hot it may cause it to run faster. No leaks from oil pan gasket and I replaced the o-rings where the oil filter housing is. Any thoughts?

see if it smells like Diesel fuel or engine oil, they are very different in what they smell like, recently replaced injectors,

okay assuming you didn't have leak before injector swap, last maint action was to replace inj & return line, my suspect would be leaking injector body seal, or return line not seated properly, where did you get replacement injectors, there have been some "new" injectors on market that leak at injector bodies right out of the box, did you use "push on" or clamp on return lines, did you put the clamps on the rubber end caps for last injector each side

see if it smells like Diesel fuel or engine oil, they are very different in what they smell like, recently replaced injectors,

okay assuming you didn't have leak before injector swap, last maint action was to replace inj & return line, my suspect would be leaking injector body seal, or return line not seated properly, where did you get replacement injectors, there have been some "new" injectors on market that leak at injector bodies right out of the box, did you use "push on" or clamp on return lines, did you put the clamps on the rubber end caps for last injector each side

When my truck is hot I can smell hot engine oil coming from the motor. I think I had a leak before the swap or had one previously, but I'm not sure because when the grime was not fresh around the #8 injector. I have looked in there an not seen any moisture. I will take the heat shield off and inspect the passenger side. When I look up from underneeth I can't see anything on the bottom of the engine block just below the injectors. The return lines I used are the clampless. The injectors are rebuilts from Mike (aka diesel pro from the other place). Yes I did use clamps on the end caps.

I think I found the leak. It is comming from the lower oil tube on the turbo. At least that is where I see oil. I used my torque wrench to tighten to the specified pounds per the torque thread here. Is there supposed to be a gasket there? I can't remember if I saw one there.

start your bead at outer edge away from drain port so when it squeezes under normal torque the "squished" bead won't block the drain flow, also remember it is gravity flow & not really pressurized on the turbo oil return side

I just finished. I used the copper instead of the red just cuz it was a dollar more...Actually it had about 100 degree higher temp rating than the red. Hopefully it will stop the leak. We'll see in the morning.

Back