• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil leak cyl # 2

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
My rebuilt 506 is less 1 000 kms. Does work fine, though I saw almost quick that some oil is leaking a t cyl # 2, at the exhaust manifold.

Leak cyl # 2.jpg

No blue smoke at the exhaust tip, just a smell of burnt hot oil in the engine bay.

We changed the stem valve seals. Could we have broke one? Could it be a crack inside the head?

Any opinion?

Yes sometimes the new seals will fail.

Did you do new guides? Do a leak down test and compare it to the neighboring cylinders to see if that's the problem.

No Will, no new guides. Didn't find part # for them. Anybody?

I also take the opportunity to tell you to never use Permatex "make a gasket" past for valve covers and crankcase...
Don't ask me how I know that this stuff is pure crap

I used this past, and now my engine is drinking half a liter of oil for less 300 kms ...

I have pulled valve covers to find the past as hard as stone, and letting oil seeping like if there was nothing to seal.

I put black RTV and no now more leak... except at the crankcase... next

So no more leak at the valve covers, but still having oil coming from the junction at the head exhaust port and exhaust manifold...

This is why I now suspect oil coming from inside. Also - but I don't know if this is related - when starting cold, I sometimes hear a big "woook woook woook" noise which disappear as soon as oil pressure build.
Not each cold time start, but sometimes. Should I suspect something abnormal at the valve train or lifter?

Could a crack on valve guide do that?

I know they make brass colored valve guides for the 6.5 heads as I have one visible 1/4" down in the intake port on the 6.5 heads I am using now.

Check leaks from the bottom up - as airflow can blow the oil upwards. Otherwise I agree that this is a wet cylinder.

THE WOOK WOOK is caused by a leaky lifter thats allowing the valve train to get slightly out of whack.

They can all do it if a lifter leaks down.

The noise is air under high pressure pumping back into the intake manifold.

Missy

Back