• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Filter Adaper O-rings for 6.5

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
I ordered the oil filter adapter o-ring kit from Leroy, and it should be here today.

Does anyone know what size wrench/socket that I need to remove/replace the bolts on the adapter?

Thanks,
Todd

Socket with driveshaft out of way. I bent/shortened a wrench for this but could not find it or a 3/8 drive socket with swivel that fit. Had to use my 3/4 drive set for this. Sucks having alot of tools for my truck in NJ now that truck is in MA.

Sounds like more job than I expected. I have to move the driveshaft?

I would rather buy a tool than move the shaft. Is there a special tool?

No its pretty easy. I've replaced them before with 3/8 extentions adapted to 1/2 drive 1 3/8 socket without dropping driveshaft. Not a big deal to undo bands on driveshaft though.

i ordered the o ring set from leroys as well. for me, it seems like the o rings that went on the big bolt were a little loose so when i resecured the bolt to the adapter, it sheared parts of the two o rings... seems to not have done something significant but i would like to find the proper size o rings one day. If anyone has a lead, give me a heads up.

The set I used was also from Leroy. They were snug and proper fit. My truck finally does'nt drip on driveway for the first time in 7 years.

i ordered the o ring set from leroys as well. for me, it seems like the o rings that went on the big bolt were a little loose so when i resecured the bolt to the adapter, it sheared parts of the two o rings... seems to not have done something significant but i would like to find the proper size o rings one day. If anyone has a lead, give me a heads up.

Hey Sempre Fi, What year is your truck?
You are the second to report that. I don't know if there is a machining tolerance difference or maybe just another size bolt?
Can you put a caliper on yours and tell me the OD and the ID of the adaptor.

I can do that as soon as I need to change oil again. Currently at the advance course in Camp Pendleton and honestly can't remember if I changed the oil before I left or not. My truck is a 94 K2500 4x4 extended cab (6 lug) if that helps. Semper Fi! So you needed the inside diameter of the adapter and the outside diameter of the bolt right?

I'll keep La Jolla in mind.

If I can swing pulling the oil filter adapter off without losing too much oil, I will. I'll be back on the 15th.

I was able to replace the o-rings Monday night in the driveway. I purchased a 1 3/8" (3/4" drive) socket, a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and a 10" long 1/2" extension. Worked great, but a cheater bar or long breaker bar would have been very useful.

All the o-rings fit snug. The large o-ring seemed like it was going to be too big, but I was able to force it in place without much effort.

Not too bad/difficult of a job, even for me.

Thank for all your help here and thanks to Leroy for providing the parts.

Todd

Thats one big a$$ socket. Seems like they could have made the bolt with a sqaure 1/2" drive. Like some drain plugs are made.

a square drive would have definitely been beneficial. Now I have a big socket just for this one purpose!

Just they way the engineers wanted it- difficult. You know what happened right? Back in the mid 70's an engineer caught his wife with a mechanic and the rest is history.

Back