• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Cooler issue

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I ordered an oil cooler kit from Leroy about 10 months ago for the 98 sub, but haven't got around to replacing it till today. Got it all out and low and behold the engine block fittings are too big. IIRC the 95 blocks are smaller than 96-2000 models. One of 2 things happened, either Leroy sent the wrong fittings (I doubt that) or the motor was replaced with an older block. I measured the threads and the threads that came out are 19 mm and the threads on the fittings from Leroy are 25 mm. I believe the conversions are 5/8 and 3/4. Just my luck. Any one know any stores that may have the fittings? I may just have to have Leroy send me what I need since that would probably be faster than driving all over on a saturday in hopes of finding what I need.

Leroy will help you out. Might even be able to send him your fittings and him send the right ones to you.

I know Leroy will take care of me. I was hoping to find them locally since I use it for work. The other odd thing is the size difference. Am I correct that 98 motors should be the larger openins?

To be honest I have never tried looking for them so I don’t know if it’s something that would be in stock most places or not.

You have to tell him which kit or pick which kit on his website you need. He don’t do both sizes in 1 kit.

Older was 3/8" npt, newer is 1/2" npt

That's what I thought. When doing the conversion from Metric to SAE the fittings he sent for the block were 3/4. They are swivel pieces that are pliced together. When I took them apart none of them looked like the piece that came out, thread wise. I'm going to take it apart and just give it a try. My old eyes may have not been seeing the threads correctly.

post up pics of all the fittings you have in the kit.

I think the swivel parts are for the cooler end... not the block.

Reactions: NVW
I sincerely doubt leroy sent you 3/4" fittings, as they wouldn't fit in any block.

should be 3/8" NPT (about 3/4" diameter at the threads) for old motor, and 1/2" NPT (about 1" diameter at the threads)

post up pics of all the fittings you have in the kit.

I think the swivel parts are for the cooler end... not the block.

You are correct the swivel parts are supposed to be for the cooler. I don't know what I was thinking. The fittings I put in the cooler end go into the block. The L fittings. I remember now. It was about 12 years ago that I did my old truck. The cooler is 5/8 NPT as well because the L fittings fit perfectly into it. I think the Larger fitting is still too big to fit into the cooler. I'll go give it a try and see.

I just went and rechecked everything and 1 end is too big. Here is the video of everything.

Ok, that is weird...

The fittings that have the oring on them go to a stock cooler, and the guy who packed the kit musta been low on sleep...

Call Leroy and have him look at this video and I bet he goes and slaps the guy that packed your kit...

The elbows that were in your kit will fit into your block, unless you have 4x4...

Back