• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler hoses diameter, length and fittings

Gekkoen

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing the oil cooler hoses soon and i'm getting proper high-temp hydraulic hoses with pressed ends from work.

first thing is Diameter, should i go with 12mm (1/2" )or 16mm (5/8") i.d.? my engine is a '97 and the stock fittings in the block look pretty big.

second is how much hose should i order to be shure to have enough for the stock routing or maybe there is another route to put the hoses?

last is, i see Leroy has the oil cooler adapters but i can't find the fittings to go in the block, so i'm wondering what kind of threads i need for the end that goes into the block?.

I'm pretty shure we might have some at work since we have something like 15.000 different hydraulic fittings in stock, though most of it is metric :)

Problem is going to be getting hooked up to the stock cooler. You can by an aftermarket one with 1/2 npt theads though. Those are what I use in my kits that come with the cooler.
I do sell the adapter fittings separate just for people in your situation. You would need my HO adapters.
The threads on the block are 1/2" npt
The length of each hose is 52" (not sure of metric off hand)
Hoses are 5/8"

I do ship to Norway all the time so if you need anything let me know.

Inlinetube.com told me a long time ago, that if I sent them the ends off the engine oil cooler lines they would make new ends to get me past the radiator. I've never cared for the way the stainless lines rub on the splash guard.

It's not like I'm going to take anything apart and change them though. Just if I have another 6.5, it is something I would definitely consider

you got me thinking with the lines rubbing there,
i have a set of oil cooler lines with bad hoses, and i have access to pipe bending machines at work so maybe i can bend new stainless pipes from the cooler and past the rad. and hoses from there and back to the ports in the block.

I'm probably going to end up buying the cooler with 1/2" npt ports from Leroy to be able to use standard hydraulic fittings though.

you got me thinking with the lines rubbing there,
i have a set of oil cooler lines with bad hoses, and i have access to pipe bending machines at work so maybe i can bend new stainless pipes from the cooler and past the rad. and hoses from there and back to the ports in the block.

I'm probably going to end up buying the cooler with 1/2" npt ports from Leroy to be able to use standard hydraulic fittings though.

I'd run hose at some point on each end like the OEM lines. I would not want solid line all the way. I do not think it would work out well in the long run.

That was what I was thinking as well.
I'm going to try to use the cooler end of the stock lines as a template for bending lines the same length to get away from the cooler and rad, and then use hose from that point and back to the block ports.

There is flex between frame and radiator support as well as frame and engine. "Solid" requires flexable at both ends IMO.

Back