• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OIl cooler broke

bdemutis

Reaction score
My oil cooler broke today and I was wondering if one from the auto parts store will work I had them order me in a heavy duty oil cooler. I'm assuming it will be kind of like this one. http://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...nes_engine_parts/oil_coolers_hoses_components
I'm sure if this one wont work I can take a trip to the hydraulic shop and pick one up since they specialize in hydraulic cooling and heavy duty equipment. I'm in a bind because it's my daily driver and I had to leave it at the garage all torn apart.
On Haydens website it's saying it was designed for chevy v8 motors so I'm guessing all should be good?

Fittings are kinda diesel specific at least funky rare threads etc. Junkyard if you are in a hurry and be sure the engine didn't blow out in the truck it's coming from as they can't be flushed. Not towing you can bypass the cooler for now till a mail order part arrives. Just be warned if the bypass blows out your engine is done before you can stop from 65.

Fittings are kinda diesel specific at least funky rare threads etc. Junkyard if you are in a hurry and be sure the engine didn't blow out in the truck it's coming from as they can't be flushed. Not towing you can bypass the cooler for now till a mail order part arrives. Just be warned if the bypass blows out your engine is done before you can stop from 65.
Well I'm taking the fittings with me to make sure they screw on if not I'm not buying it. I never have good luck with anything.

I have an almost new GM OEM cooler leftover on the shelf from my BURB. It is a stock OEM for a 95.

The fittings for that cooler are 3/4-16 Tub-O fittings. If you need one right away I think a junk is going to be your best bet. You won't find a cooler off the self.

Greg
The one I posted the description says the fittings are 1/2 fpt? Whete did you get 3/8 from I thought are lines are 1/2 with 1/2 fittings?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said anything about 3/8. OEM for your year if it has the original motor is 3/8 npt on the block and 1/2" lines that use 3/4-16 Tub-O fittings in the cooler. Aftermarket cooler we sell is 1/2" npt with 5/8 lines and fittings for which ever block you have.

Greg

If your using OEM type oil cooler lines, good luck finding fittings to use an aftermarket cooler with them. I know the o-ring type fittings of that size are TOUGH to find.

If your using OEM type oil cooler lines, good luck finding fittings to use an aftermarket cooler with them. I know the o-ring type fittings of that size are TOUGH to find.
I have the steel braided lines I'm going to use adapters from the hydrologic fittings to pipe fittings I'm at a hydraulic shop now.

Ok well I need to order a cooler this one was to big who has expidited shipping does leroy?

Thank you.
Well, you probably saw the refund by now? I did not get the payment for upgraded shipping before I left for post office (11:30) they close at 12:00. SO I sent it Priority mail with 2 day shipping and refunded your payment. If I had waited til Monday to mail it you would be getting it later anyway.
I put two new fittings with it also so you should be good to go. If you'd like to return the two stainless fitting you won't need anymore I'll refund you for them. LMK.

Leroy

Well, you probably saw the refund by now? I did not get the payment for upgraded shipping before I left for post office (11:30) they close at 12:00. SO I sent it Priority mail with 2 day shipping and refunded your payment. If I had waited til Monday to mail it you would be getting it later anyway.
I put two new fittings with it also so you should be good to go. If you'd like to return the two stainless fitting you won't need anymore I'll refund you for them. LMK.

Leroy
Ok thank you sorry I didn't see the post until about 12 or so when I got to work I was running around all morning.

Back