• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil change

dusty

Reaction score
hey i recently started using rotella 5/40 syn. how long can run it btween changes.i was just now told to remove the 5/40 and go back to and stay with 15/40 as that is all that is recommeded for the 6.5 as it has a turbo this seems awful strange to me anyone tell me the change miles and the story on 15/40 thanks

Lab analysis is the only way to know for sure when to change the oil. My manual says as low as 2500 miles between changes and the 4000 mile change I did got me a phone call from the lab with a flush the engine out recommendation. These engines have a small sump of 6 quarts and dump a lot of soot in the oil. Synthetic may be a waste of money at a 2500 mile oil change.

I have to agree with WarWagon on this one. Most guys who run full synthetic put bypass filtration systems in in order to stretch the oil change interval, and do oil analysis to determine when to change.

To my knowledge, these engines known weak areas don't really have to do with oil problems. They have problems with engine block cracks and overheating, etc. If you take it easy on them, put reliability mods on them, and keep them cool, they will last a long time as a number of the members here will attest. I'm at a total of around 300K miles between my 2 rigs, and no major mechanical problems yet. I am optimistic I can make it a lot longer without incident, if I change oil regularly (I use regular Delo 15-40) use a quality filter, keep the engine temps down and keep an eye on EGT, Coolant Temps, and Boost levels, it should hopefully go for quite a while longer.

I'd save my money unless you're interested in putting something like an Amsoil bypass filtering setup on it.

-Rob :)

For your location in Canada, 5W-40 is probably better since you are in colder weather. It will start much easier.

As far as how long it will last, only a Used Oil Analysis can determine that. The Shell Synthetic is really a Group III synthetic so by definition it is a highly refined dino oil as supposed to Group IV synthetic which is PAO based. It can probably run 5k easy but everything depends on how you drive, environmental conditions, etc. Shell won the argument that Group III can be called synthetic also.

Both 5W-40 and 15W-40 are approved for this truck. Difference is in cold state, the 5W is a little thinner than 15W (in terms of viscosity). But at hot state, they are supposed to have similar viscosity range.

hey i recently started using rotella 5/40 syn. how long can run it btween changes.i was just now told to remove the 5/40 and go back to and stay with 15/40 as that is all that is recommeded for the 6.5 as it has a turbo this seems awful strange to me anyone tell me the change miles and the story on 15/40 thanks

Contact our resident "Oil Expert".....Member name, Wrecker, "The Oil Geek"

He'll make your head spin.

Back