• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oh WTF can this damage the internals

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
After I pulled the torque convertor, one of the bolts that holds the bell housing to the transmission fell out. I checked the others and all were loose. Or could be tightened I should say. None were to the point of falling out other than that one. The outer cooling fins on TC are a lil chewed. Not as bad as I was expecting.

are you sure you aren't talking about TC bolts to the flexplate?

I've seen and heard of TC bolts coming undone...but loose bell housing bolts is a new one on me...

It could definately cause some internal issues if they were loose. I take it this trans has been apart before as ALLISON put those bolts in pretty tight from the factory.

Yes and yes. About 50-60K miles ago I brought transmission down to champion transmission in CT and had them do a Suncoast stage IV kit. Back in Sept or Oct it went into limp mode. I got home and checked fluid level and was within range. Underneath I found the extension housing was cracked. I parked truck until I could get extension housing. Tonight I removed transmission and replaced extension housing, and that's when I found that. There was a gray sludge on magnet in spin on. There was no metal on magnetic drain plug, so assuming it was clutch fiber???? Or possibly aluminum???? Transmission is still going into limp mode with

A p 1711 code. I'm gonna put up on lift tomorrow and cross my fingers that cleaning the valve will fix everything. But I am nervous that those bolts not being properly tightened has caused damage. And really really REALLY hoping that there wasn't anything else that wasn't torqued down. As I'm assuming they were probably just loosely ratcheted with the intent to torque them. Crossing fingers and toes!!

Back