• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oh, That's why they call em a cumapart...

PO left me the above mess. I have to have it put back together and then I will find a trailer to pull "The Rim" and make sure they get seated. Of course with Total Seal Gapless rings...

Do you think the PO ran a tuner and melted things down?

A buddy bought a 05, knowing it had major issues from a hot tuner, and ended up having to send the block off and get 2 holes bored and sleeved.

Are you still doing the parts delivery route? If so, what kind of mpg does the dodge usually get on runs like that?

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. :(

Retired from the delivery route. However when pulling the 1992 3/4 T project truck back (same route FWIW) it was getting 15 MPG and plenty of power. So I an not going to tune or hot rod this one. Looks like lack of oil changes or dropped a valve seat to muck up #1 from running 6th when they should have hit 5th pulling their 5er.

Hopefully this will be a 1 time freshen it up and forget about it. Note the bearing condition in the picture of the rings - it ate some debris. Bright side is gapless rings. I gave everyone a candy bar and only a candy bar for Xmas due to having to buy diesel parts...

Doing the NV5600 too just because I am staring at it for the 3rd time, it's getting noisy, and I am sure just as abused esp. with the dowel pin issue on the input bearings. (Cheap to drop out with the engine out of the way so WTH.) Oil sample when I got it had the trans oil 5w30 sheared down to 10 weight and 20K I put on new AMSOIL sheared it down to 20 weight. (Normal for this trans to shear even AMSOIL.)

have you looked into the mods that the trans outfit out of texas does? IIRC its Standard Transmission out of Houston, and they call it the power luber package. Something about a mainshaft bearing being starved of lube.

Fellow in Tucson, Standard Transmission and Gear of Tucson, invented a power lube package and bought out the AZ store. Rear bearing starves for oil on grades and locks up causing all kinds of trouble. Never mind the running hot the cast iron case has issues with. So add PTO cover coolers, flood the trans with 1/3 more oil then the fill plug takes, add power lube package, or do all three. The package is spit holes drilled in gears and other oiling mods. They used to have two locations and still do in a way as one was bought out. So the website no longer has the AZ location although they are still open and the TX folks will give out the AZ phone number. Their reputation speaks for themselves and appears worth the extra trouble to lug it there and back.

Lets just say a certain Rat Rod 6.2 diesel pickup is going to haul a certain Dodge transmission there and back. Patch has been through Tucson so many times I will have to lean on the wheel to avoid the auto/RV auction it's used to getting loads from...

Ordinarily I would have taken this trip to Standard Trans in Tucson with the Dodge, but, it wasn't up for it. Can't find the place to check the engine oil on a pre trip inspection...

IMG_20151222_171155444.jpg

So I have to haul the transmission in Patch. It actually hurt the strap where it went over the end of the transmission from rubbing. This is like a 400 lb transmission.

IMG_20151231_100446428.jpg

The stories you rarely hear about a Cummins engine lol
Except from those that work on them. People who work on all of them see just as many CUMMINS failures as they do DURAMAX(POWERSTROKES is another story all together). Its just like common rail injectors. They ALL have problems, but everybody still says its just the LB7's.

What mpg does patch get on unloaded road trips?

Did they swap you a ready to go upgraded reman?

No, rebuilding my transmission.

Patch gets about 14 MPG at 75+MPH. 10-12 MPG towing (at lower speeds) depending on grades. It gets 10 in town (Same as the 2005 Duramax did in town). The stall converter didn't affect fuel economy.

The MT in town has a lot to do with better economy.

The difference here is this 5.9 engine was sleeved for a repair - something you could, but, wouldn't do to a GM cast 6.5 due to cost and mains cracks. The other difference is the heavy parts (head, block, transmission) have me subbing the work out. There is NO way to do a in-frame on a 2WD Dodge 5.9. 4WD, yes. Irrelevant as it has to go 0.020 over anyway.

Looks like it was a good idea to do the trans. Bearings starting to mark things up (aka done), reverse slider trashed, and syncro's done. Gears are good. Clear abuse as already known. (Shifting to reverse while moving the shop suggests)

Really not that bad for 'slow' shifting with the above. Reverse would refuse now and then and notchy 3rd on cold mornings.

At least it still functioned, an nv4500 would be a royal pain with that damage. I've had gears completely quit and not engage due to bad synchros and scuffed bearings

Updating this thread. Truck is long gone as of 2019: I bought a new 2018 RAM 3500 4x4 with the Aisin. I could no longer drive a MT anymore.

Anyway the rebuild above lasted 500 miles. 🖕 Still knocked and had low oil pressure at hot idle on a mechanical pressure gauge. They did not use a new oil pump on the rebuild. :mad:🖕

Warranty was a different block just to be sure. Total Seal suggested the sleeve in #1 was moving. It had a low spot visible in pictures. (The crack is the concrete floor...) The shop re-used the block in something else they fixed and flipped.

5_9_low_spot.jpg

Neither shop that touched this are still in business here. GOOD RIDDANCE!

They did NOT use my gapless rings or give me an opportunity to put new gapless rings in the warranty build. I was beyond pissed every time I noted soot on the UOA.

The turbo started using oil so it got replaced with a Garrett Ball Bearing Stage 3 turbo. Later some Stage 1 BBI injectors, ladder bars, SMARTY Touch, and custom tune to keep the smoke down.

When you are pulling an RV having to wipe the soot off the toilet seat before use is a problem. :angelic:

After tuning it was a fun pickup making me wonder why I didn't tune it before.

Now the 2018 HO makes the same power with a warranty.

Back