• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Offroad toy?

That sucks, I bet you were ticked off.

One question was the driver a tree hugger or maybe a liberal?

Not really. I view this k5 as kinda disposable haha. Crew cab I would have been pissed.

He did seem like a liberal, still mooching off the parents.

Not really. I view this k5 as kinda disposable haha. Crew cab I would have been pissed.

He did seem like a liberal, still mooching off the parents.
Yea, typical of some of that crowd around here, some of them disregard the traffic laws and will run you off the road.

Like yesterday I am traveling out a major interstate, traffics running 65 to 75 mph pretty smooth, till the right lane kind of jams up. I hit the left lane and I'll be danged there's some man in a Suburu station wagon going about 58 mph with his headlights on, being a fly in the ointment.

Last edited:
You were so small he didn't see you! LoL

Funny thing is offroading in the desert here a few times I've had others tell me the k5 disappears in the dust hahahaha.

Looking like it's probably totaled. Hitch took the direct hit (accident happened at the top of a hill) and bent the frame. Gotta wait for insurance to do their thing but I'll be amazed if they don't total it out.

20190925_203430.jpg20190925_203445.jpg20190925_203516.jpg20190925_203529.jpg20190925_203545.jpg20190925_203555.jpg20190925_203612.jpg

When insurance was going to total my 93 K1500, told them they can go ahead and total it but I was going to keep My newly rebuilt transmission and transfer case, I had to show receipts but they then went ahead and fixed the front end damage.
Good to read that You did not sustain any injuries.

My total costs in this rig are right around the 2k mark, plus I'm not attached to this one either. When I talked to insurance and the cops yesterday it's looking like they are going to total it. Before they can proceed though the other guy needs to answer their calls.

Once this is all settled out I'm leaning towards a newer (2000-2010) crew cab to take over main tow rig duties, and have the 82 crew cab as the offroad/backup vehicle. The cost of getting the 82 cruising speed up is not much less than buying one of those trucks now haha.

Imagine you lost a honda. Now, would you buy that k5 how it is for 800 if it was you next door neighbor selling it and you knew the history of it. Your gonna buy something to replace it anyways, so would that be a purchase you would make?

Other option- buy it and sell off the parts. I don’t remember you having a ton of issues with that 6.2. Anyone on here need a running 6.2? Fly out to meet Red, and drive it home? Hard to think of a k5 getting squished.

How bad is the frame? I get it’s totaled and not safe if someone gets rear ended in it again. But is it driveable or is it dangerous in the rear suspension area?

Imagine you lost a honda. Now, would you buy that k5 how it is for 800 if it was you next door neighbor selling it and you knew the history of it. Your gonna buy something to replace it anyways, so would that be a purchase you would make?

Other option- buy it and sell off the parts. I don’t remember you having a ton of issues with that 6.2. Anyone on here need a running 6.2? Fly out to meet Red, and drive it home? Hard to think of a k5 getting squished.

How bad is the frame? I get it’s totaled and not safe if someone gets rear ended in it again. But is it driveable or is it dangerous in the rear suspension area?

Funny part is $800 is what I paid for the little 96 nissan extended cab pickup I got last week for daily driver use haha.

K5 new issues:
Frame is bent from where the front mount of the receiver hitch attaches, so a few inches in front of the shackle hangers for the rear springs.
Radiator leaks coolant and there's a external leak from it's trans cooler fitting area as well.
Slight wandering on the road. Used to be could let go of the steering wheel and it would stay straight. Now it needs correction from time to time.
Alternator died.
Rear bumper and the pintle hitch are no longer attached to each other.
New rattling noises and vibration at higher speeds from the back of the vehicle.

Very healthy 6.2/th400, one of the smoothest running 6.2/6.5's I've been around. The wandering isn't extreme (drove it about 70 miles on thursday) but is noticeable. Vibration is most likely the ujoint at the rear axle since the frame bend has rolled the pinion up some, and I bet that's the cause of the wandering as well.

Buying it back, options are to either part it out or make it the dedicated offroad toy. Parting it out would make a little bit more than buyback price. Dedicated offroad toy has the benefits of absolutely zero concern regarding body damage when rock crawling. But the crew cab handles the local trails easily enough and is capable of rock crawling, only the front fenders/cab area have the potential to get damaged.

Update from the insurance company, buyback aint gonna happen. They raised the offer with turning the k5 in to just over 3k. If I buy it back, the value is adjusted for where the k5 is registered (Montana), which drops it's value hard. Would only be $450 in my pocket after buyback. This k5 isn't worth that to me, so signing the paperwork over on thursday and using the 3k for other things.

Back