• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

odd fuel additive

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, what do you think of this one. I was talking to one of my co-workers about the cold weather and our fuel and he mentioned that another driver told him that he put acetone in his fuel. Not a lot, but, acetone? They put it in our pumps in winter to keep them from freezing. I haul a tanker all over north, south and east. Now they want me going WAY north to Canada, so I really don't need any issues with fuel. He mentioned that it not only helped it from gelling, but it added some oomph to the power.

Don't do it!! I mean don't f-ing do it!!

Does it work? Hell yes it does. I ran it in my 6.2 for like 2 yrs. I went from 20 mpg to 22 mpg and alot more get up and go.
I had to stop using when it ate the galvinized coating out of the tank. A friend of mine had it eat the glue between the tank halves.
I'm sure there is some other members here that can tell you what it will do to your IP. Even though it is only 2 oz per 10 gal. It will mess your truck up.

I thought gasoline had the opposite affect in regaurds to celtane rating and that it would lower performance/milage?
Im open to the idea if I can lower fuel costs and keep the performance.

Acetone?

Duh.gif

Not this crap again.........

In short; no, don't do it.

Old myth still perpetuated by the gasser crowd for MPG.

Does nothing for a gasser either......

K1 Kerosine I think would work better than gas. But the last time I looked it was like $5 a gal.

Thats the problem, finding something cheaper to cut the diesel with. I used to add 50% WVO no problem here in the south and summer months.

K1 Kerosine I think would work better than gas. But the last time I looked it was like $5 a gal.

I could be wrong but I thought our #1 diesel and kerosine are pretty similar.

Up here they start blending the fuel in the fall. No problems.

Back in the old country there was no winterdiesel cause it seldom got cold enough long enough to warant it at the pumps.
We had barrels of kerosine to add to the diesel on cold day's,..i think it was 10% for up to -20 or so.

We also used kerosine to wash and degrease parts.....

Don't do it!! I mean don't f-ing do it!!

Does it work? Hell yes it does. I ran it in my 6.2 for like 2 yrs. I went from 20 mpg to 22 mpg and alot more get up and go.
I had to stop using when it ate the galvinized coating out of the tank. A friend of mine had it eat the glue between the tank halves.
I'm sure there is some other members here that can tell you what it will do to your IP. Even though it is only 2 oz per 10 gal. It will mess your truck up.

It is actually an aluminum paint/epoxy/coating. And no you don't want it coming off. Tends to plug up tanks socks, etc. and the engine acts just like it has gelled fuel - hard starting and loss of power/stalling.

Back